Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMX & 50 1.4 broke :(

• 26-11-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

4137155808_7853c27ab3_o.jpg

The focus on my 50mm just decided to give up.. it tries to focus a small bit but doesn't move. Any ideas? :(

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Is it workign on MF Daz? If it is, then I'd put it down to the motor in the lens. Did it take a knock at all for something to to be put out of alignment and causing it to stick? If it's moving a little it could be something is jammed in the focus mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

pete4130 wrote: »
    Is it workign on MF Daz? If it is, then I'd put it down to the motor in the lens. Did it take a knock at all for something to to be put out of alignment and causing it to stick? If it's moving a little it could be something is jammed in the focus mechanism.

No its competely stuck! It moves between 3 and the infinity icon sometimes! Which are next to eachother in the little window on the lense.

If it is something jamming it, I wonder if its just a cause I could unscrew it open and fix it?

I have no cash to be sending this off to get fixed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Sounds like the micro USM has been damaged!

Im considering getting the same lens - but had concerns over its durability!
    There was a thread about the lens a week and a half ago - and I asked slightly off topic about it; Here; and no-one replied, so I assumed it was a low % of all the lens that it happened to!!

A discussion on Flickr raised my concerns! And it seems you have had it happen to you - sorry to hear it!! Flickr discussion
    Basically they recommend the lens body mounted hood to protect the focusing ring - and NEVER take it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive had my lense for about 3 years now id say.. Never taken a bang or anything like that! could it be the cold perhaps?

I opened it up anyway.. theres sort of screws you can push which adjusts the focus to whatever you want, but its very stiff and takes about 30 seconds! Talk about manual focus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It happened to mine a few times.

I've got some 'canon unfriendly' ways of fixing it though... Not taking any responsibility for your lens, and you should definitely NOT do this.

Grab the focusing wheel, and pressure it forwards and backwards.

Use AF.

Repeat step 1.

Put on hard flat surface and tap. Harder.

Repeat step 1.

Harder.

Try AF again.

Shake lens. Harder.

It might work now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement