Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language songs

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hey guys (and all you beautiful gals...),

Do you know of any Irish language songs? I'm struggling to think of any. Since moving to the UK I've been tapping into Irish history/tradition and culture in general (ironic, I know).

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Might you mean songs similar to these?

Artist : Maighread Ni Dhomhnaill
    Album : No Dowry
    Genre : Celtic

Track Listing
    01. Amhrán Pheadar Breathnach (4:14)
    02. A Mháithrin Dhíleas (2:25)
    03. An Cailín Gaelach (4:48)
    04. Colm Cille na Féile (4:52)
    05. The Green Wood Laddie (6:26)
    06. Is Fada Liom Uaim Í (3:56)
    07. Martha,the flower of Sweet Strabane (6:29)
    08. Knickers of Corduroy (2:19)
    09. An Clár Bog Deal (5:03)
    10. Lily of the West (5:37)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Try Kíla most of their songs are in irish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

John Spillane has recorded 2 albums in Irish - "The Gaelic Hit Factory" and "Irish songs we learned at school".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

A lot of Sean Nós singing is as Gaeilge. Interweb search it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

There's a really nice lament called An Mhaighdean Mhara - bout a guy whose love dies but comes back to him as a mermaid who can never come ashore.

Did you ever go to the Gaeltacht when you were younger? There were loads of songs - An Puc ar Buille was great and Peigin Leitir Moir. Good for roaring in a pub.

Alan Lomax, the guy who went around the US recording people singing folk songs, also came to Ireland and made recordings (http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/typewriter-of-the-moment-alan-lomax-folk-music-historian-1942/). I'd say if you want the less-cheesey, corkers, that would be a great place to start. But also some of RTEs programmes back catalogue, esp. from the 70s and 80s would have some great examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

May I suggest a song those who have played Metal Gear Solid will be familiar with: The Best Is Yet To Come by Aoife Ni Fhearraigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Des Wade

I realise I can't post links but if you Google my name - Des Wade - and go to my web site at #8 in the Jukebox section there is an Irish language song - Sciatháin na nAingeal - written by myself and a colleague. The English language version is at #7. I apologise in advance to the moderator if this post in inappropriate.

Advertisement