Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Threat to Eircom 'three strikes' plan

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

From the IT:
    Eircom's plan to ban internet subscribers who persistently download music illegally has been dealt a blow after the European Parliament today approved a new telecoms reform package that offers greater protection for consumers.

The reform package, which was first proposed by the European Commission in November 2007, includes a provision to restrict internet service providers (ISPs) from disconnecting filesharers.

It also includes a number of other benefits for consumers such as the right to better information about services they subscribe to and improved data protection for individuals.

However, easily the most controversial aspect of the package is the move to protect file-sharers from being denied internet access if they download music illegally.

The revised EU telecoms framework directive was adopted at the third and final reading by 510 votes to 40, with 24 abstentions.

Again, I do seem to recall saying that the EU had a better grip on this sort of thing than the Dáil does - not that's hard, of course.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I think it's actually somewhat of a shame, really. Eircom certainly have their faults and I do intend on moving from them soon, for a variety of reasons, however they are certainly the most protective of their customers of the ISP's in Ireland and the UK that I know of. Every other company will merely hand over your details, enabling the companies involved to take you (the customer), to court and the fines are usually completely OTT.

Eircom brought in this to try and compromise and protect the customer from these fines, there's already people in this country who've dealt with the fines, some of which couldn't and served time in prison instead.

So I guess instead of being relieved, file-sharing Eircom users should now be a lot more worried. The music industry are the people who will benefit from this, I believe.

This is all to the best of my recollection, I'm open to correction on the matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Rb wrote: »
    I think it's actually somewhat of a shame, really. Eircom certainly have their faults and I do intend on moving from them soon, for a variety of reasons, however they are certainly the most protective of their customers of the ISP's in Ireland and the UK that I know of. Every other company will merely hand over your details, enabling the companies involved to take you (the customer), to court and the fines are usually completely OTT.

Eircom brought in this to try and compromise and protect the customer from these fines, there's already people in this country who've dealt with the fines, some of which couldn't and served time in prison instead.

So I guess instead of being relieved, file-sharing Eircom users should now be a lot more worried. The music industry are the people who will benefit from this, I believe.

This is all to the best of my recollection, I'm open to correction on the matter.

Not sure I agree with that, Eircom caved into to pressure from EMI with regard to the three strikes rule (without a customer even needing a conviction of such an offence), where the others such as BT and NTL told them where to go (Although in fairness the legal action with Eircom was at the most advanced stage ).

It seems that IRMA is still intent on pursuing their action against UPC.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/eu-to-act-on-eircom-download-rule-45817.html

Advertisement