Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what would you define as your fightstyle - Rushdown/Turtle?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to discuss the different fightstyles and each of our opinions on each.

For anyone who doesn't know what the hell I'm on about,

Rushdown: Constantly applying pressure, usually without break and tends not to wait around.

Turtle: Prefers to wait and maximise on the other player's mistakes to find openings and nail the damage down in chunks.

I'll start off by saying that I definitely lean more towards Rushdown. I much prefer applying constant pressure. I wouldn't say I'm 100% rushdown but I'm sure that when I'm in rushdown mode, I tend to be a lot more successful in fights in comparison to when I'm in turtle. The reason why I prefer rushdown over turtle because I believe once players reach a certain standard of play, I don't think turtle works too well as you're having to wait for ages, and if playing against a really smart player, usually never for the openings. I also prefer it because it can really confuse the opponent if the rushdown player has a great mix up game.

I know that it also depends on the character used for which style is used best (e.g.: Gouki/Ken/Ryu better for rushdown / Guile better for turtle).

So what fightstyle do you think your play is primarily focused on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Somewhere in the middle i suppose, depends a lot on the matchup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Everyone thinks I'm a turtle maniac but I'll rushdown with the best of them if I get a corner trap on.

Also, I'm a huge MvC2 fan. Can't really be too turtle in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Everyone thinks I'm a turtle maniac but I'll rushdown with the best of them if I get a corner trap on.

Also, I'm a huge MvC2 fan. Can't really be too turtle in that.

:mad:

Just wait until I get to play as Adon!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Its match up specific for me and also dependent on several factors in game too, like the time left and opponent super/ultra meter.

I don't think Gouki, Ken or Ryu are rush down characters. They are middle of the road charactersm but Ken is more offensive orientated than Ryu. In fact they are very few rush down characters in the game. Cammy for sure is one, probably Fei-Long as well. Very if very offense orientated but not sure if she is rush down. The grapplers are automatically offense orientated but I don't think you can classify them as rush down, they usually have to take there time getting in.

:mad:

Just wait until I get to play as Adon!

I'll just ask Charlie how to deal with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll just ask Charlie how to deal with him.
    Nah, you need to ask Sagat. Or Akuma. Or Ryu :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Rushdown, far far too much. I'm not as bad as I was , but I'll rush down then zone them when they least expect it.

Still far too much rush down probably, I find it very very hard to run away. Its extremely hard for me to resist the urge to want to attack you. Really kills me against gief and sim.

I got a message the other day calling me a camper :pac:

bush wrote: »
    I got a message the other day calling me a camper :pac:

I got three messages on PSN last night (two in good humour, gg style) in the space of five minutes going "I hate turtley Guile".

Bizarrely enough the one who was genuinely pissed off was a Gen and I tend not to turtle against him.

I got three messages on PSN last night (two in good humour, gg style) in the space of five minutes going "I hate turtley Guile".

Bizarrely enough the one who was genuinely pissed off was a Gen and I tend not to turtle against him.

I got a message around the same time saying I was too aggressive, ya cant win.

Also check out this message I got after kicking a dude with 1 bar.

¿ g play wii its easy like u mon **** u ? ¥€

• Advertisement

That's what you get for playing with Jamaicans, mon.

Heres another one from him

u ar what no sk u play w me that final like g3 o ßßßßßßßßooooooooooooooooo

:pac:

Its makes zero sense

This dude is also top 5 GP or something like that on live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

You just need to find someone who is 14, preferably emo and they'll tell you what it means!!

Heres another one from him

u ar what no sk u play w me that final like g3 o ßßßßßßßßooooooooooooooooo

:pac:

Its makes zero sense

This dude is also top 5 GP or something like that on live.

I think- think now- it means something along these lines:
    You, sir, play Street fighter with what I like to think of as no skill. Truly, in that final, you performed like someone in G3. Boo to you Sir. Booooo.

I think- think now- it means something along these lines:

Ye and the thing is I never even played him since it was only 1 bar. He kept coming back and I kicked him every time. He sent me around 5 messages like that.

Ye and the thing is I never even played him since it was only 1 bar. He kept coming back and I kicked him every time. He sent me around 5 messages like that.

Clearly you were running in fear from both his amazing ken skills and his pithy, cutting remarks.

@bush, we need names. Hall of Shame and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I don't know where I'd place myself tbh. Hard to place oneself as just rushdown/turtle, I think many people (myself included) incorporate both into their styles. And obviously then there are variants

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

Rushdown for me, I always have to be doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I'm such a turtle that I should be called Splinter.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ken B wrote:

That joke failed on so many levels, admit it you can't remember who the names of the actual turtles are or you don't know how to spell there names! :p

Vega has one style in SF IV and thats dieing horribly! :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ken B wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Azza wrote: »
    That joke failed on so many levels, admit it you can't remember who the names of the actual turtles are or you don't know how to spell there names! :p

Vega has one style in SF IV and thats dieing horribly! :D
    *clicks*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i shud be a turtle but too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

I dunno what mine is, I do play a chasing game every now and then... I dont turtle that much as I do like to be on the offensive a lot.

I guess I should describe my style as "one-trick pony".
    As in, I've learned 1-3 tricks with a few characters, and will spam them until they don't work anymore (and I lose).
    So I guess I end up turtling a lot.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I guess I should describe my style as "one-trick pony".
    As in, I've learned 1-3 tricks with a few characters, and will spam them until they don't work anymore (and I lose).
    So I guess I end up turtling a lot.
    This! I'm a psychotic rush Honda until the person shows they know how to stop me with ease, then I begin my neutral jump game... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

Ken B wrote: »
    splinters is a rat.....
    rats out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

RopeDrink wrote: »
    After rewatching my evaluation matches with RedMan I noticed myself throwing out random out of range pokes and jabs for absolutely no reason, often for the sake of pressing a button - In some cases this resulted in me being punished for it so I have to stop.

In my opinion, it depends on the pokes used. After watching the GameStop tourney matches, you can see Daigo and Justin doing lots of random cr. MPs (Daigo) or dive kicks (Justin) which I think is good since the recovery time is pretty solid. Its especially good against Rogs to counter the charge/TAP punches

One thing I hate about turtles is that they aren't exciting as rushdowns. I dunno why that is but its probably to do with the fact that I'm a fan of the SF animes (in particular Alpha Generations Ryu VS. Gouki) so I like to have fights filled with the same kind of energy so I really enjoy SF when I play against a fellow rushdown player.

I'll probably get a lot of flaming for what I'm about to say from some of you folk but I think that rushdown players tend to enjoy the game more because they understand more that its a game rather than trying to apply real fighting philosophies (Bruce Lee stuff), which is applicable but in my opinion a bit on the serious side, and they're constantly thinking on the spot for strategy during attacking while turtles usually (not all the time) tend to use the same strategy over and over.

I've got my fire suit on. Here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I'll probably get a lot of flaming for what I'm about to say from some of you folk but I think that rushdown players tend to enjoy the game more because they understand more that its a game rather than trying to apply real fighting philosophies (Bruce Lee stuff), which is applicable but in my opinion a bit on the serious side, and they're constantly thinking on the spot for strategy during attacking while turtles usually (not all the time) tend to use the same strategy over and over.

I've got my fire suit on. Here we go!
    That's a pretty weird statement to make. Turtle players understand it's a game as well; they're only abusing your mistakes and/or impatience in your offence where as a rushdown is doing the exact same thing to your defence. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I suppose I'm generalising there. Its just I know a fella who thinks like that. I guess I went overboard with that statement.

Had a long day (Dublin to and back in one day, journey is 4 hours each way) so sorry if it offended anyone.

Advertisement