Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what would you define as your fightstyle - Rushdown/Turtle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Leprekaun wrote: »

I'll probably get a lot of flaming for what I'm about to say from some of you folk but I think that rushdown players tend to enjoy the game more because they understand more that its a game rather than trying to apply real fighting philosophies (Bruce Lee stuff), which is applicable but in my opinion a bit on the serious side, and they're constantly thinking on the spot for strategy during attacking while turtles usually (not all the time) tend to use the same strategy over and over.

As a fellow rushdown...er .. I agree with everything you said in your post cept for the what I've quoted there. I play a lot of RTS before I got into SF properly and I've never felt the need to go back to playing rts since. SF has so much elements that I enjoy from RTS in there, just highly accelerated. You have to think ahead, there are moments to turtle and moments to attack and there's set ups and diversion strats (or bating in SF).

Your last sentence there that I bolded. That would only be true for new players (or 'scubs' if you wanna be harsh) who get trapped in a pattern, as that's all they know.

They pick up SF4 go online and the 1st guy they play spends the whole game jumping backwards and running away. So he copys him and finds it works against other brand new players. But he's not thinking ahead he's only playing a pattern. Second someone see's a hole in it he's fooked.

But the same thing can be said for some people who'll attack constantly without thinking.

Experienced players, turtling or not, will both be trying to think ahead. Sometimes into the next round. Turtlers will make use of the clock. If a pattern works, stick to it until the guy adapts then mix it up.

Personally I have more fun rushing down and baiting and stuff but that doesn't mean those that like turtling don't enjoy the game as much as me. They'd enjoy watching the other guy get impatient and make mistakes. They'd enjoy a single round lasting a long time or winning by the clock. Like someone in an rts would like to see a well executed counter attack work.

Its nothing to do with applying real life martial arts philosophies. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, I know thats why I said I think I went overboard with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Oh right, yeah I only saw your other post there after wards. Fair enough so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Leprekaun wrote: »
    they're constantly thinking on the spot for strategy during attacking while turtles usually (not all the time) tend to use the same strategy over and over.

Rushdown are Bruce Lees, Turtles are Steven Seagal :p

It all depends on the match up though. I'm a lot more rushdown with shotos as Akuma than I am against brawlers or some of the exotic characters that I don't have much experience against. I find I'm also more likely to win if I'm baiting, zoning and attempting crossups. If I'm turtling it usually means I don't feel like I'm in a strong position to win and I usually don't. By far my worst matchup is against Blanka, I usually spend the match turtling, baiting and attempting grabs whenever he gets close.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

RUSH!
    RUSH!
    RUSH!

thats my downfall

• Advertisement
Advertisement