Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perma Ban from AH

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was perma banned from after hours a few days ago by Zohan for using the word 'mick'. I have apologised for this and didn't realise it was considered a racist term. I went in to detail by PM how this was used as a term of banter between myself and a couple of Irish mates in the UK. He said he would review it and get back to me. His decision is the ban stands.¨
    I think this ban is extremely excessive for what was on my part a genuine oversight. I apologise for any offence caused and am asking for the ban to be reduced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Looking into this now.

I have to say that I for one am mystified that anyone from your country, and you can include me in that country, would not realize that "Mick" is considered a racist term, especially on an Irish Board. Couple that with your comments on the recent topical world cup event, make it very hard to believe that you were not indeed trolling. And to round it out, I personally know many sober Irish men.

Do you see where this is going?

Without going into it any further here is how this goes down:

The AH Mods, and myself, have agreed that your current ban stands. We will review it at a later date. If after a month or so you prove yourself to be a good poster, and leave this trolling behind, we lift the ban?

IMO, this is fair. Check back with me in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Nigel Farage

Asiaprod, thank you for reviewing the case. I'm still not satisfied, this is grossly unfair and way over the top. As I said I'm sorry for any offence caused even though I don't remember anybody actually being offended. I thought AH was a place for light hearted banter, which the use of the term would be between me and my mates.
    I also object to being accused of trolling. Why don't you review my history of posting on here and then point out where exactly I have been trolling. I haven't, simple as that.
    I also thought that there was a warning system in place. If the term was out of line why wasn't i warned on thread to stop instead of a straight out perma ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Just to contribute my thoughts.....

I did consider permabanning this user from R&R based on his sig and dubious comments made in other posts.

We have a strict no politics policy in R&R and I personally think this user is just here to drive traffic to the UK political party in his sig.

Nigel,

If you are unable to see how your comments (using the term "Mick" and references to how "great" the UK is) on an Irish based forum while displaying a prominent Union Jack flag in your sig might cause offence to some of the boards.ie members then you need to take a step back and look at how you come across to other people on this forum.

If you are serious about becoming a member of the boards.ie community then it might be a good idea to try to "fit in" a bit more, otherwise I can see you being on the receiving end of more infractions and bans because like it or not, you do come across as a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hi Nigel

Could you drop me an email to hello[at]boards.ie please and thanks?

Kind regards

Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Nigel Farage

Could my reply to keefg's post please be put up. I just want to defend the points he made, why has my reply been censured?

Moving this thread into the CMs domain.
    I am closing this Help Desk thread for now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You didnt realise "Mick" was an offensive term? You didnt realise that using someone elses name which is associated with UKIP as per your sig and general postings wasnt practically identity theft? And you do all this using Anonymous proxies to mask your IP?

Get a grip. Kick this troll the kerb.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement