Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short essay on time or long essay 1 week late?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

Which is better to submit? I've a 4-5000 worder due in tomorrow, it's looking like it'll be on the short side (3000-3500) the way I'm going...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Which is better to submit? I've a 4-5000 worder due in tomorrow, it's looking like it'll be on the short side (3000-3500) the way I'm going...

Is it the essay for Glaciation & the Quaternary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Notorious wrote: »
    Is it the essay for Glaciation & the Quaternary?

No, it's for The Kingship of Tara.

(That's the module title, not the prize on offer...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Ok.. well if you hand in an essay late, you lose 10% of your grade. So if the essay is worth 100% of the module, thats a significant chunk to lose out on. I'd say if what you've written is of good quality, hand it in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If you hand it in a week late, you lose 10%. Do you think by keeping it another week, you will improve the essay by more than 10% (keeping in mind that going from 30% to 40% tend to be easier than going from 70% to 80%)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You'll lose 10% if you hand it in late. Now you wont lose it if you hand it on time but if your essay is of poor quality you might consider that you wont be getting a full 100% and could have easliy written something that could get you about 50/60%.

If you think the essay you'll hand in next week can get you the extra 10% (and more, hopefully) then by all means hand it in next week.

But seeing as you're doing History do what all the cool kids do and pull an all nighter ;)

• Advertisement

Well, what I was wondering is how much will an essay be downgraded for being say 500-1000 words shorter than the requirement?

If it's just 1 grade then it's worth handing it in but if it's 2 grades sure then I may as well put it in a week late. Know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well, what I was wondering is how much will an essay be downgraded for being say 500-1000 words shorter than the requirement?

If it's just 1 grade then it's worth handing it in but if it's 2 grades sure then I may as well put it in a week late. Know what I mean?

I don't think they would down grade it just for being too short. If you wrote an amzing essay that was 1000 words short I don't think they would penalise you (quality over quantity). And if its only 500 words short 4-5000 word essay i don't think it would matter either way.

I could be wrong but that's what I would think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Make an attempt to finish essay on time or waste precious time chatting on boards about handing it in late?

Make an attempt to finish essay on time or waste precious time chatting on boards about handing it in late?

About 5 minutes in total :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

About 5 minutes in total :confused:

That's a paragraph. Tick tock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I don't understand... You posted this at 1am. If it's due tomorrow you have/had enough time to write another 3 or 4 thousand words before the department closes =/

passive wrote: »
    I don't understand... You posted this at 1am. If it's due tomorrow you have/had enough time to write another 3 or 4 thousand words before the department closes =/

This essay title was blood from a stone stuff though. I managed 3150 words and could write no more. Just hoping to pass and see the back of it.

Advertisement