Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Ballincollig

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

thinking of buying a house in Ballincollig. does anyone know whether any of the estates there were flooded when water was released front Iniscara dam last Thurs night/ Friday morning e.g Old Quarter, Fionn Laoi etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

None flooded. Ballincollig wasn't affected..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 niamh1988

no estates actually flooded, but it did come quite close to fionn laoi (within 50 metres), if i was buying another house in Ballincollig i would go for The Cloisters or Rosewood area (of course you dont have to take this opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mango7

Anyone know if this estate is definetley on flood plain?
    Is leeview nearer to river
    Any info about the estate would be appreciated.
    Anyone live there
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Having lived in the Collig, I could never understand why anyone would have bought a place down by the powdermills..........surely that place is flooded frequently (doesn't the Regional Park flood - I'm absolutely open to correction on this)........OP, stay on the other side of the road - Inniscarra View, Rosewood, Muskerry, Coolroe, etc (of course, I'm old school - that's all there was when I moved there!!!)

Yes agree other side safer!!!!
    just houses cheper that side at present but if on flood plain risk too great.
    keep hearing about fionn laoi a risk but surely old quarter is too and lots bought there, strange?
    Anyone know any info appreciated as no one buying on fionn laoi so must be good reason.
    Thanks for reply cjm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

mango, there's brill value to be had in other parts of the Collig - the houses in Muskerry, etc are all very reasonable considering the size of them - we had a house years ago and the hall was the same size as most kitchens in the newer houses.............if there are individual estates you'd like to know about, drop me a PM

viewed fionn laoi and they are so nice and new and very roomy, such a shame they built on flood plain...........................

I live in area, so know a little!!!!

parknamore ok???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lolcat

I live in old quarter and there wasn't a drop of flooding down there during the bad spell. I'm assuming the drainage is pretty good down there because none of the drains were blocked.

As regards to the estate being on a flood plain, I don't think that's the case. There's a few canals down the bottom of it from the old gunpower mill days that are barely a stream at times so I'd say that cleared any flood water that was around. The lee is a good bit further down north from the end of the estate too. You can see all that if you go for an extended walk down the Ballincollig regional park.

Advertisement