Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Killing USB flash drives?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Sorry for putting this here, but:
    a) I couldn't find anywhere else to put it
    b) You are all a bunch of nerds so I trust you lot more ;)

Over the Past month I have had 3 USB sticks die on two different W7 machines.

What happens is everything is fine and dandy, then for some reason, with no warning, they crap out. When I plug it in, it is recognizing it as a "Removable Drive" but when I try to access it it asks me to put a disk in it

At first I thought "Hmm, ok W7 is borked", but a fresh install proved fruitless, and the USB stick is not working in Ubuntu 9.1 either, nor is the bios detecting it as bootable option (where previously it did and I did have much fun installing t3h Ubuntus from it, which I just want to add after close to a YEAR trying to get my ****ty Broadcom Wireless Card to work I finally did and now enjoying the sweet caress of Ubuntu :pac:).

I have tried everything from Uninstalling the USB Hub Drivers to reinstalling W7 to installing XP and still no luck. There must be a way to "fix" it as I very much doubt three USB sticks would all fail the EXACT same way while using W7. I blame W7 as opposed to Linux but one of the USB sticks was my mothers, who uses only Windows 7. These were not old USB sticks either, they are no more than 2 months bought

So, anyway, anyone got ideas as to how to fix it?

Comments

They're not Transcend JetFlash V10s by any chance are they? They're notorious for failing with this exact issue but not specifically under Windows 7. I have a utility in work for getting them usable again; if they're not Transcends then I probably can't help I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Karsini wrote: »
    They're not Transcend JetFlash V10s by any chance are they? They're notorious for failing with this exact issue but not specifically under Windows 7. I have a utility in work for getting them usable again; if they're not Transcends then I probably can't help I'm afraid.

Nope :( They are PNY Micro something or other.
    Mind shooting me that utility anyway? Might work (especially since its the exact same issue and what's the worst that can happen, I brick an already Bricked stick? :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

Heh, no Driver problems reported

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Heh, no Driver problems reported

Good, it's likely it's the actual USB FD.
    Exact brand please?

• Advertisement

Smau5 wrote: »
    Good, it's likely it's the actual USB FD.
    Exact brand please?

Ah, sorry, I suppose I should have added that :pac:
    http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=400 (The Blue one, not the pink one ;), but 8GB, not the 4GB, cant find the 8GB for some reason on the site).
    No idea as to the actual manufacturer as I have not taken the USB apart (not sure if I even can, no visible way)

Ah, sorry, I suppose I should have added that :pac:
    http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=400 (The Blue one, not the pink one ;), but 8GB, not the 4GB, cant find the 8GB for some reason on the site).
    No idea as to the actual manufacturer as I have not taken the USB apart (not sure if I even can, no visible way)

Personally I have not even heard of the brand,
    I researched and I did not find any complaints or history of failure with this FD.

__

1. Download and install the HP Drive Key Boot Utility
    2. Open the desktop icon and select the correct flash drive under device
    3. Select the file system you want to format to (FAT probably)
    4. Tick Quick Format, (Un-tick it if it fails & try again)
    5. Click start

No luck. It picks up the USB Drive, but says it is 0mb and has no media in it.

Is it possible that windows is mis-reading the drive and using utterly wrong drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have you tried them on another pc?
    Could be power issues with your usb controllers on your pc.
    I used to see this with my brother's pc...also seen it with external hard drives.

No luck. It picks up the USB Drive, but says it is 0mb and has no media in it.

Is it possible that windows is mis-reading the drive and using utterly wrong drivers?

A drive that is reading as 0mb is a physical hardware problem,
    I fear it's basically croaked,
    if it has a warranty you are eligible for a replacement.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

A drive that is reading as 0mb is a physical hardware problem,
    I fear it's basically croaked,
    if it has a warranty you are eligible for a replacement.

Good luck!

Urgh, thought so. Why would 3 USB drives go exactly the same way? :(

Urgh, thought so. Why would 3 USB drives go exactly the same way? :(

Could be anything, even bad luck.
    Your drivers aren't out of date.

Try using a different port or SD cards, the standard is up to 4gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hahaha, all yore memories are belong to us !

is that usb key using anything from LOTES btw :pac:

Anti wrote: »
    Hahaha, all yore memories are belong to us !

is that usb key using anything from LOTES btw :pac:

Oh yeah, it's um, got LOTES solder and Um, LOTES Gold things! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Could be anything, even bad luck.
    Your drivers aren't out of date.

Try using a different port or SD cards, the standard is up to 4gb.

You might want to be careful on that one, Windows 7 currently has an issue where it's corrupting any NTFS based SD cards pretty much at random.

Just thought I should mention it. There's a fix available for those who want it but I don't have a link handy. I'll drop one in here when I'm back from lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Oh yeah, it's um, got LOTES solder and Um, LOTES Gold things! :pac:

Could be worse, might use Foxconn gold things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

try it using an ubuntu boot CD, try repartitioning it and reformatting it to fat 32, good luck.

www.ubuntu.com

Spacedog wrote: »
    try it using an ubuntu boot CD, try repartitioning it and reformatting it to fat 32, good luck.

www.ubuntu.com

I run Ubuntu, don't worry. Same deal in Ubuntu too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Any update on this matter lads? I don't have this issue as of yet, but would like to know how to fix it if it ever crops up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just google windows 7 usb fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

a bit of different problem but in the same corner. I download NZB's through Alt Binz but the one rig in the house I did a clean install on (the rest is upgraded) wont rember any settings I put in or the NZB I put in!

Any one knows any solutions for that?

Advertisement