Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beretta stock oil

Options
  • 27-11-2009 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

bought beretta tru-oil gun stock finish, problem is all the instructions are in italian and not sure what to do with it, (on the web),

some of the other types have 3 bottles, (not beretta make though)

do i just rub it into the stock like a french polish,
    do i need a sealer,
    do i sand the stock or anything like that,
    how often would i put the oil on it,

if any one has any info on stock maintenance id be greatfull for tips and help.

i hav a beretta 686e black action and its a nice piece of timber on it id like to keep it like that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ronn wrote: »
    bought beretta tru-oil gun stock finish, problem is all the instructions are in italian and not sure what to do with it, (on the web),

do i need a sealer,

i hav a beretta 686e black action and its a nice piece of timber on it id like to keep it like that.
    If you scan it and post it here, I have Italian friends who'll translate it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i've always used danish oil on gunstocks and its a great finish in my opinion , simple to apply and available everywhere , woodies , atlantic etc , paint it on with a brush and wipe off with a rag and the finish you get depends on how much you do it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

ronn wrote: »

do i need a sealer,

Ronn,
    Treatment of the stock depends on what product is already on it. Some Berettas have a lacquer finish, others have an oil finish. Many Berettas also have a wood stain on the stock below the finish.

If yours has a lacquer finish, oil will not do much for it, it will just sit on the surface but will give some protection where the lacquer has been chipped or worn.

If it has an oil finish, you need to decide if you want to do a complete restoration (involving raising dents, sanding scratches, etc.) or a basic refurb. Neither is very difficult but a good job takes a long time, I’ve done all my guns at various times, applying the oil over a period of months. Experts say apply it once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year. For that reason many of those who refinish stocks have special drying cabinets to shorten the drying time and to keep dust off the surface during the process.
    The secret for both is to apply it a little and often, rubbing in with your hand, pressing so that the friction heats the oil as you apply it. If you decide to do a complete refinish, scrounge an old stock off a smith and practice on that first.

Rs,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Isn't it just repackaged Birchwood Casey TruOil? And so birchwoodcasey.com will have all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks for the help lads,:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement