Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the better defender - Rio or Vidic? (Now comes with added poll)

• 27-11-2009 2:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Having this debate on an english forum and cant believe they think Rio is a better defender (although shouldnt be surprised).

I reckon its fairly straight forward. Rio is a good football, Vidic is a top defender.

Vidic joined 3 years ago and uniteds defence improved immensely.

Vidic is a better tackler, stronger, good with physical confrontations and is a better/stronger header of the ball and will jump on front of anything. .

Ferdinand is a clean defender, good reader of the game, quick and good positioning.

As far as being a better defender I dont understand how anybody could call Rio better ! ! !

Who is the better central defender? 15 votes

Rio Ferdinand
    0%
    Vidic
    100%
    Koldjesus_thats_greUnearthlyMr.Nice GuyeZe^Paul TergatDSBraido9Bubs101CR 7MmcdFromvertx43r0Jimmy Iovinedeadybai 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Vidic
    Well injury aside its Rio for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Came accross the report below a while back about the number of cards Vidic has picked up at Utd - pretty shocking going, especially when compared to Rio in the same period.

For me I'd have Rio as the better player overall ahead of Vidic - when Rio's fit. Rio's footballing skills edge him ahead overall but he is suspectible to lapses in concentration. Vidic seems to rely a bit too much on brute force as evidenced by the card situation. I think you have to judge it in terms of overall who brings the most to the team and that's Ferdinand.

Will be interesting to see how many games Rio manages this year.
    8 so far in all competitions this season for Utd is a pretty poor return and back injuries which seem to be at the root of his problems are damm tricky to clear up.
    A marked man: Sportsmail takes a look at Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic - the most booked defender in the Premier League
    By Tom Bellwood

Last updated at 10:42 AM on 27th October 2009

Nemanja Vidic saw red at the weekend after receiving a second yellow card for a foul on Dirk Kuyt, taking his tally of cards in three-and-a-half years at Manchester United to 43 - a number far larger than any of the other talismanic centre backs at top four clubs.

Remarkably, his dismissal at Anfield made it three reds in as many matches against Liverpool and fuelled controversy as his opposite number Jamie Carragher could easily have been dismissed for a clumsy challenge on Michael Owen just moments earlier.

Vidic's total of 43 cards in his time with United dwarfs that of team-mate Rio Ferdinand (15), and of Chelsea's John Terry (29), Arsenal's William Gallas (23) and Liverpool's Carragher (29).

Sir Alex Ferguson will now be without his Serbian centre-back for the clash with Blackburn at the weekend and a little time on the sidelines may give Vidic the opportunity to contemplate just why he has become such a marked man in the Premier League.

TOTAL NUMBER OF CARDS SINCE JANUARY 2006
    Rio Ferdinand - 14 yellow, one red John
    Terry - 26 yellow, three redWilliam Gallas - 22 yellow, one red.
    Jamie Carragher - 29 yellow.

SEASON-BY-SEASON GUIDE TO NEMANJA VIDIC'S CARDS SEASON

2009-2010
    YELLOW CARDS
    Tottenham
    Besiktas
    Manchester City
    Wolfsburg

RED CARD
    Liverpool

SEASON 2008-2009
    YELLOW CARDS
    Portsmouth
    Everton
    Tottenham
    West Ham
    Newcastle
    Porto
    Portsmouth
    Barcelona

RED CARD
    Liverpool x 2.

SEASON 2007-2008
    YELLOW CARDS
    Reading
    Belgium
    Sunderland
    Portugal
    Fulham
    Tottenham
    Aston Villa
    Chelsea

SEASON 2006-2007
    YELLOW CARDS
    Blackburn
    Middlesbrough
    West Ham
    Aston Villa
    Watford
    Liverpool
    Tottenham
    Reading
    Lille
    Kazakhstan
    Chelsea

SEASON 2005-2006
    YELLOW CARDS
    Wolves
    Blackburn
    Liverpool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1222585/Red-faced-Manchester-United-defender-Nemanja-Vidic-aims-avoid-card-trick-nemesis-Fernando-Torres.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Rio Or Vidic? Depends on the week doesnt it, both great players!

Both go through dips in form, many said that United have only had a decent defence since Vidic arrived 3 years ago, I agree but Rio had to also play with a lot of crap defenders and having a decent defender like Vidic beside him last year really he got to show how good he was as he had some stability beside him.

If i was offered one of them today id take Vidic as he is less injury prone it seems and a bit more of age on his side, I also feel he'd stick his head where Rio wouldnt

I reckon there is f all between them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

They are the ideal partnership (when fit) - Vidic is the the big tough guy, powerful in the air and not afraid to go in where it hurts. Rio is more cultured, reads the game better, and can bring the ball into midfield and play a bit. This is how it should be; think of Terry/Carvalho, Carragher/Agger, and in times gone by Bruce/Pallister at United and Henchoz/Hyypia or Thommo/Hansen at Liverpool.

But a good ball-playing defender is harder to find imo, so it would be Rio for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its the partnership that works imho. But if i was getting only one of them in on a one year loan id take vidic any day of the week. Ferdinand is quite calamity prone in the past couple of seasons. For example, torres' goal against utd this season. You get the feeling if it was Vidic and not Rio defending him, he wouldnt have beaten the defender so easily.

Just my 2 cents as a relatively impartial observer (arsenal fan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its the partnership that works imho. But if i was getting only one of them in on a one year loan id take vidic any day of the week. Ferdinand is quite calamity prone in the past couple of seasons. For example, torres' goal against utd this season. You get the feeling if it was Vidic and not Rio defending him, he wouldnt have beaten the defender so easily.

Just my 2 cents as a relatively impartial observer (arsenal fan)

Vidic has his moments too - Eto'o making a mug of him in the CL final for example. And you can't mention Torres getting the better of Rio without mentioning the same happened to Vidic last season (even worse imo) and in the recent game he got sent off for the third time running against Liverpool.

On their day they are both excellent defenders, and with Vidic just now returning to fitness, hopefully he will kick on and get back to his best.

If I had to pick between the two of them right now, i would go with Vidic, simply because Rio's back (and related) injury problems are effecting when he can play, and the level he plays to when he does. I don't have the same concerns regarding the fitness of Vidic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Max Power1 wrote: »
    For example, torres' goal against utd this season. You get the feeling if it was Vidic and not Rio defending him, he wouldnt have beaten the defender so easily.

Like last season you mean? :p

If I had to choose right now, I'd take Vidic. But if both were fully fit and I had to decide to sell one of the them, I'd sell Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ah I'd take Carvalho over both of them. However choosing between the two Vidic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Vidic all day everyday, Rio looks better cause he has Vidic beside him most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

CHD wrote: »
    Vidic all day everyday, Rio looks better cause he has Vidic beside him most of the time.

Funny that Vidic for me always looks better with Rio beside him.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Funny that Vidic for me always looks better with Rio beside him.
    Of course he would. They bring the best out of each other imo but if you could only play one it has to be Vidic. He is the better defener. His only fault is that he is scared of Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Vidic, every day of the week.

Poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Both have excellent qualities that complement each other and it's not like comparing like for like when you look at them individually.

If one had to miss a game though, I'd probably opt to keep Vidic in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Vidic has the turning speed of an oil tanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Vidic is better defensively IMO, Rio is the more skillfull player, They compliment each other as all great defensive partnerships should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

When Rio's fully tuned in & away from injuries he is alot better. '06 - '08 I don't think he got the credit he deserved because he improved dramatically. He's faster than Vidic - sometimes I think his head is elsewhere and lapse of concentration costs him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is so easy - Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'd go for Vidic anyways. Can't fully make my mind who's better when fully fit but I'd go for Vidic because I love his attitude and playing style, always liked no nonsense players and he's been a favourite of mine with a while, have him on my jerseys.

One other thing for OP, I'd say tis never gonna go in your favour trying to convince the Engerland fans that one of their own internationals is inferior to a foreigner. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ferdinand, by a mile

when both are fit, i think he's much better.
    he is an unbelievable reader of the game, his positioning and pace means he rarely has to tackle, but he is excellent at that.
    I think a lot of people like Vidic as he looks better. he tackles more, he dives in for headers, throws himself in the way so he looks like ahe is doing more. If you watch rio closely for a game, you see he rarely does that as he doesnt have to.

If ferdinand played in italy or spain, he'd be even more thought of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

| This
    v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

iregk wrote: »
    Ah I'd take Carvalho over both of them. However choosing between the two Vidic.

+1 on Carvalho, but for me out of Rio or Vidic, Id take Vidic, dont know why they both have different qualities but Vidic just pips it for me.

Both have strong points and both have weaks ones.

Both have looked vunerable this season when playing.

A year ago I'd have said Vidic without question. Now I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They shouldn't be separated, they work and look great as a team. Individually they are not that great - over rated IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Vidic
    If we are saying overall as players then Rio Ferdinand for me every single day of the week. Right now he may be struggling with injury and is now making more mistakes then in the past 3 seasons, but for me, the only CB that has emerged in the past 10 years that can come close to the likes of Nesta in his prime is Rio. I don't think Rio in his prime is as good as Nesta in his prime, but he comes bloody well close.

Vidic has been in better form for the past year, but just looking back at some particular performances Rio has pulled out - him and Wes Brown were absolutely infallible against Barca in 2008, it was defensive masterclass led by Rio. Then next year I remember an out of form Eto'o absolutely rinsing Vidic for the first goal. Vidic was in his prime that season, but because Rio was out of sorts, and not leading the team as well as he could, they lost 2-0, with Messi scoring a bloody header for the second goal.

Rio for me everyday of the week, he may not be as physically imposing, but he's more intelligent, is better with the ball at his feet, marshalls the defense better, and is less like to be caught in a situation where he'll make a mistake (his positioning is much better imo). He has cut out the calamity Sam streak he used to have to be honest. Class defender, one of the best to ever play in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's issues like this where your perception from the point of view of the television lets you down, tricks you. Vidic makes more "money" plays over the course of a game. He's more likely to make a crunching tackle, a heroic block, a brave header, etc, etc. He attacks the ball with a load of purpose, and is a big strong athlete who is most fluid when he is making a decisive motion towards the ball.

On the contrary, Ferdinand can be seen getting beat on the odd header, getting held off by a striker, and we don't see him doing the aggressive ball winning stuff that stirs the blood.

Now, the thing is that - while what Vidic does is really important - stuff like positioning, organization, anticipation are required for a defence to be truly rock solid. Constantly reacting well to situations is great, but being in the right place to stifle attackers before they can get good possession in the final third is better.

You can look at Liverpool for reference on this. Three years ago, people were able to make legitimate sounding arguments for Carragher as a World Class defender. He did all the tough, hard stuff in the middle of the defense. What we didn't realise at the time of course, or what we underestimated rather, was the value of Hyypia's contribution alongside him. As Hyypia received less and less game time, Carragher's effectiveness began to diminish sharply. I would contend that the same thing would happen to Vidic were Ferdinand not alongside him. They work excellently as a partnership, and it is the combination of their differing skill sets and ability to work together that elevate them to a World Class level in terms of their end product on the pitch.

Remember, no matter who the defender is there will always be a striker who comes along and ****s you up physically:

vidic_beaten.jpg

torres.jpg

article-1218235-06B32416000005DC-928_468x322.jpg

You can't legislate for that. In an ostensibly non contact game, when you have two athletes of comparable abilities - the attacker will always have an edge. We like the idea of a Vidic or Carragher at their healthiest and most dominant because we imagine that they won't get pushed around. However, what matters more is the overall cohesion of your defense, so that you can avoid being put in such one and one tests of pace and strength as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

lol @ people claiming Carvalho is a better defender than Rio or Vidic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Vidic
    Big fan of Vidic, he gives it socks.

But Rio gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wes Brown is the best natural defender in the country according to Ferguson today. hhhmmm

curry-muff wrote: »
    lol at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Good Post Llyod, you've made me reconsider about Vidic.

What i would say is that they both need each other, Rio can't play his game without the 'action man' (vidic/carragher) beside him and equally, vidic needs rio for when 'action man' is beaten, so mop up the attacks.

I still prefer Vidic because he's no-nonsense.

Can't remember if it was a clip or an article with Ferguson about Vidic, but Ferguson said something along the lines of -

"He'll (vidic) batter somebody in training going for a header, like Louis Saha when he'd be back from injury"

and i'd shout "take it easy!"

Vidic would say "Sorry Boss, Sorry Boss"

and then he'd go and do the same thing again! It's the only way he know's how to play the game!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1. Vidic
    2. Carvalho
    3. Rio

not that much of an lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its a good question.

For me I would rather Vidic he the type of guy you need for the big European games and EPL games.

Great time for Rio and he has come on quiet a lot but Vidic I just think has bit more of what he required to do and his first job is to defend and thats what he does little better the Rio.

But there excellent combination when in full fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

No poll?

Vidic for me. Rio reads the game better, but Vidic is first a foremost a defender. Thats what he does by hook or by crook: defend, with no nonsense.

Look at the amount of set pieces, crosses every week. I know who I'd rather have if I could only pick one.

Together they are the perfect partnership though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

2 years ago, Carvalho, Rio and Vidic were the best defenders in the world imo.

Carvalho is more like Rio than Vidic, but still got a bit more of Vidic in him than Rio does.

Different types of defenders, and you need both in a team.

But for me, Rio is utterly invaluable. The only player in the past 10 years who has come close to Nesta is exactly what I think about him too. Utterly amazing ability to defend without the last minute tackles and such. He stops problems before they happen.

I've always believed that while Vidic is outstanding at what he does, there are quite a few players out there who can do what he does. Ferdinand is pretty much alone out there. Pique has the ability to be like him imo, although is hurt by his lack of pace. Carvalho was similar but more inbetween, and at his peak not as good imo.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

deisedevil wrote: »

One other thing for OP, I'd say tis never gonna go in your favour trying to convince the Engerland fans that one of their own internationals is inferior to a foreigner. :D

Dont get me started on that ! ! :(

I didnt put a poll in as I didnt know how to . . (how thick am I?). If anybody is able to put a poll in, will they please supersize this thread ??

Also . .

It is true that Vidic has his "TV" moments where he may look better or his performance may be highlighted more but there is more to it then that.

I didnt even mention the fact that he scores a fair few goals (but in all fairness this isnt a trait of a good defender). Nearly 3 Times as many as Ferdinand in less time!

But whenever you see a corner or free being played into the united Box, its nearly always vidic clearing. For a big man Ferdinand isnt great with his head.

He is comparable with Blanc for many reasons. He is cool on the ball which can be a good thing or a bad thing (like when teams actually attack united and dont give us time on the ball like Pool and City). He doesnt slide tackle, which some say is down to his positional sense! There are plenty of games a slide tackle would of prevented trouble!

Is Rio a player with good positioning or just a very quick defender with a decent positioning sense ? Put simply, if Vidic had his speed, we would be saying vidic had brilliant positional sense. .

Of course nothings absolute in this debate. . On the continent, they like their defenders to be able to play football. And some defenders suit certain teams.

I just think that if we are discussing , who is the better defender, its Vidic, pace aside, he has everything required to be a top defender . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Good Post Llyod, you've made me reconsider about Vidic.

What i would say is that they both need each other, Rio can't play his game without the 'action man' (vidic/carragher) beside him and equally, vidic needs rio for when 'action man' is beaten, so mop up the attacks.

I still prefer Vidic because he's no-nonsense.

Can't remember if it was a clip or an article with Ferguson about Vidic, but Ferguson said something along the lines of -

"He'll (vidic) batter somebody in training going for a header, like Louis Saha when he'd be back from injury"

and then he'd go and do the same thing again! It's the only way he know's how to play the game!"

haha i guess that explains saha always being injured. vidic did it to him in training! so who is the culprit at the pool then?? is carra walking around training with a shotgun or something????

oh and i would like to point out that big vid and rio played football long before they ever met eachother. those that are claiming they need eachother is a bit rich. sure they do compliment eachother well however this is overstating it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

PHB wrote: »
    2 years ago, Carvalho, Rio and Vidic were the best defenders in the world imo.

Carvalho is more like Rio than Vidic, but still got a bit more of Vidic in him than Rio does.

Different types of defenders, and you need both in a team.

But for me, Rio is utterly invaluable. The only player in the past 10 years who has come close to Nesta is exactly what I think about him too. Utterly amazing ability to defend without the last minute tackles and such. He stops problems before they happen.

I've always believed that while Vidic is outstanding at what he does, there are quite a few players out there who can do what he does. Ferdinand is pretty much alone out there. Pique has the ability to be like him imo, although is hurt by his lack of pace. Carvalho was similar but more inbetween, and at his peak not as good imo.

was that the year cannavaro won best player in the world? or was that the year before. can you really count rio or vidic as the best defenders in the world if they need to play together to shine? if vidic was never signed by fergie would rio have gone on to be so good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Vidic
    It's hard to say but I'd probably take Rio. I don't think Vidic does his role much better than the others like him at the same level like Terry and Chiellini but last year Ferdinand was streets ahead of Carvalho. This year he's been a little **** though so it's hard to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Vidic
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Dont get me started on that ! ! :(

I didnt put a poll in as I didnt know how to . . (how thick am I?). If anybody is able to put a poll in, will they please supersize this thread ??

I added a poll there for you mate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rio isnt anywhere near Vidic's level. He looks good when playing with Vidic, but on his own he's caught out time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Vidic
    The problem is more people hate rio than don't hate him. Plus, vidic doing something good is usually a last ditch tackle that looks good for the cameras, whereas rio doesn't allow a situation to get that far. Taking each at their peaks, rio easily wins this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I've never been a huge fan of either Vidic had a phenomenal 18 month spell up until the end of last season but I think it's all guts too often, just for me I guess.

Rio I see too many strange mistakes made for someone who is touted as a rock, I don't see it.

I know it's a little bit off point but I would take carvalho over either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Before Vidic came in United had a poorish defence and Rio took alot of stick. It all changed when Vidic came in and ofcourse the English media are going to hype up there own centre back whos won a few premiership titles and a Champions league more than they would for Vidic.
    Ferdinand makes some school boy errors sometimes that Ive never seen from Vidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Class!! That made me smile! Hard to say who's better though - it's kind of like decising if Ronnie Barker was funnier than Ronnie Corbett - they both have their own unique strengths, but are undoubtably better as a team.. like Morcambe & Wise, or Vic & Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

it's kind of like decising if Ronnie Barker was funnier than Ronnie Corbett - they both have their own unique strengths, but are undoubtably better as a team.. l

Pfft Barker ftw. :D

On topic , Vidic for me has been more or less outstanding bar a few games were he fooked up.He is far more commanding and leads the defence well, i don't agree with the fact that Rio can play the ball better makes him more influential in the back 4.I am of the opinion that the keeper and fullbacks would have more confidence in defence with Vidics name on the teamsheet if only one of them was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Vidic for me, only when he came along did Rio really begin to look worth the £30m price tag. Both quality players who have a fantastic partnership but if I had to pick one it would be the Serb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I voted for Vidic, the question was who was the better centre half and I think that Vidic wins that one fairly easily. If however the question was who is the more complete/better overall footballer I think I would probably have voted for Rio because he is great on the ball and is a top class defender to boot. Great to have two players of such caliber playing alongside one another...even if they play for united!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Vidic
    Ferdinand ahead of Vidic........and every other centre back out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

vidic

• Advertisement
Advertisement