Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beamer and bibtex - truncated bibliography

• 27-11-2009 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I'm using beamer in LyX.
    I have references in the slides.
    There are too many references to fit on the slide containing the bibliography, and the list is truncated as a result. (still too many if set to tiny font)
    Is there any way of getting it to go onto a new slide, or to fit them on to the one slide, apart from changing the content shown for the refs?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

pwd wrote: »
    I'm using beamer in LyX.
    I have references in the slides.
    There are too many references to fit on the slide containing the bibliography, and the list is truncated as a result. (still too many if set to tiny font)
    Is there any way of getting it to go onto a new slide, or to fit them on to the one slide, apart from changing the content shown for the refs?

yes
    Stop using lyx. Use Endnote to create a biblio, paste it into powerpoint. End problem.....
    (also works with openoffice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

oops wrong forum...

you'd not dare say that in the LaTeX forum

they fncking love LaTeX in there

pwd wrote: »
    oops wrong forum...

you'd not dare say that in the LaTeX forum

they fncking love LaTeX in there

look - im a pretty smart guy, a professor an all... i have been using software since 1985, when we had to carve it ourselves on flint 8inch diskettes. I HATE LateX. There. It sucks. For all the hideous warebloat of msoffice, it works. Latex, its sons and daughters, are the spawn of satan's sightly stupid younger brother.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

MSOffice corrupts files with impunity on a regular basis...

Anyway back on topic, you could try reduce the text size on the bibliography slide and keep it all on one. I'll reproducing what you have and see what I can come up with,

I'm moving this thread over to the LaTeX forum - there might be a few more helpful replies there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

blucey wrote: »
    yes
    Stop using lyx. Use Endnote to create a biblio, paste it into powerpoint. End problem.....
    (also works with openoffice)
    And looks like crap and much more difficult to include maths in.
    look - im a pretty smart guy, a professor an all... i have been using software since 1985, when we had to carve it ourselves on flint 8inch diskettes. I HATE LateX. There. It sucks.
    Ah here Brian you are a smart guy but you're a finance man. You won't find many computer scientists professors claiming TeX sucks. In fact some engineers downstairs from your office insist students' assignments are typeset in LaTeX. That's overkill imho, but these are also smart people.
    For all the hideous warebloat of msoffice, it works. Latex, its sons and daughters, are the spawn of satan's sightly stupid younger brother.
    Ha! I bought my laptop two years ago. I cannot open the latest MS Word files (the horrible .docx crap) yet you claim Office "works"?! LaTeX will never corrupt your final product and you will never have any difficulty opening the source code to a document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Oh and OP, it's very easy to give beamer permission to take a few slides at once. You need to specify the allowframebreaks parameter at the frame. Like this:
    \begin{frame}[allowframebreaks]{Bibliogrphy}
    \bibliography{my_refs_file}
    \end{frame} 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I HATE LateX.

You hate Latex. Fair enough. But if you're going to advise people not to use it you should at least supply a decent rationale other than some irrational grumblings...

For the record I have no objection to WYSIYGs like Office. But there's a time and a place for each. If I'm drafting up a document that takes no more than a page or two, or doing something i just need done quickly then Word is great.

But for documents that require heavy formatting, such as statistical reports, academic papers, CVs or large documents like theses and reports, nothing beats the complete control and automation offered by Latex. Word is completely useless in these scenarios, you're limited to a bunch of presets and God help you if you want to deviate from them. And not mention it can become very cumbersome and resource heavy when it comes to large documents.

Anway... for someone who's a so called 'professor' your arguments aren't particularly well developed. I suggest taking the time to actually familiarize yourself with something in the future before dissing it... God know's it's been a problem in Academia since the time of Gallileo :D

/rant

he's not even going to see this is he? :rolleyes:

You hate Latex. Fair enough. But if you're going to advise people not to use it you should at least supply a decent rationale other than some irrational grumblings...

For the record I have no objection to WYSIYGs like Office. But there's a time and a place for each. If I'm drafting up a document that takes no more than a page or two, or doing something i just need done quickly then Word is great.

But for documents that require heavy formatting, such as statistical reports, academic papers, CVs or large documents like theses and reports, nothing beats the complete control and automation offered by Latex. Word is completely useless in these scenarios, you're limited to a bunch of presets and God help you if you want to deviate from them. And not mention it can become very cumbersome and resource heavy when it comes to large documents.

Anway... for someone who's a so called 'professor' your arguments aren't particularly well developed. I suggest taking the time to actually familiarize yourself with something in the future before dissing it... God know's it's been a problem in Academia since the time of Gallileo :D

/rant

he's not even going to see this is he? :rolleyes:
    yes. he has...
    I can use Latex (via lyx and Sciword). I just....dont. And, I have never ever had a problem with large, complex, math heavy, docs in Word. Or wordperfect before that.....

Advertisement