Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Training a kitten?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey all,

Ok, I adopted a kitten at the end of October.

We have 4 other cats, all housetrained the same way. When we could see that they needed to "go" we brought them outside, they did their business and they learned that they do it outside.

Oh my goodness, this kitten is just not catching on. And my mother is getting angry and wants to make it sleep outside at night as she is fed up with waking up to mess in the house.

Why is he not learning? The rest did, and any tips? I would be very grateful, as I do not want him sleeping in the shed at night???

Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

It probably just can't be bothered going out into the cold! :D

Why don't you just get a litter tray for it to use inside? They aren't v. expensive and most cats tend to use them automatically without needing any training. Just leave the kitten into it after eating and it will probably figure it out straight away.

Most cats prefer loose, sandy type litter material - you can get a really cheap one in Lidl.

Just one thing - cats tend not to use the tray if its not clean. You could earn brownie points for your mother if you take on the role of "scooping" clean the tray every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I thought of that already, however my mom refuses to have a tray in the house incase the other 4 decide to use it and then we have 5 untrained cats lol

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well - I would think its a better option than cleaning it off the floor every day! :D

I wouldn't call a cat using a litter tray "untrained" - its a much more hygenic way than having them go outside where a child might accidentally come across the dirt. There are toxins in cat waste that can cause health problems. At least if its in the litter tray you can be sure its disposed of properly.

I don't have any other suggestions though, sorry.

Thanks for your help anyway...but the litter tray will be a no go with my mom unfortunatly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

The poor kitten prob doesn't want to be poo-ing and peeing all over the floor but you are giving it no choice. It needs a litter tray and once it gets a bit bigger it will start using outside as the older cats do.

As for the other cats suddenly untraining themselves, in my experience that is unlikely. I have a 1yr old female cat and she always waits till she can go outside despite there being litter trays permanently around for the kittens i foster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

we've 11 cats in our household , at any time there are probably about 4-5 in the house with the rest outside.

Most came from a feral mother that we left out food for
    that kept breeding until we managed to catch and spay her. after 2 of her kittens dying in our back yard on a stormy night we did not have the heart to ignore her kittens so made the mistake of feeding them.

Never trained any of them but they scratch at the door,
    or lead us down to the front or back door if they want to go out. Worse than children waking us up sometimes at 5am.

I know your supposed to have 1 litter tray per cat, but
    ours tend to share the one litter tray. We dont scoop poop
    out of it though. If its been used at all the whole contents gets dumped and completely fresh litter gets used.

~B

The poor kitten prob doesn't want to be poo-ing and peeing all over the floor but you are giving it no choice. It needs a litter tray and once it gets a bit bigger it will start using outside as the older cats do.

Yes he probably does not want to, however as for us "needing" to get it a litter tray, we have had 11 cats in total, only 5 now..4 trained and none of them have ever used a litter tray, they just learned by being put outside..he seems to be getting better but its just taking so long and really dont want him to end up sleeping in the shed.

My mother however will not let us have one in the house incase the other 4 begin to use it.

Advertisement