Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time going faster?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Is time speeding up as we get older?

I remember as a child my summer holidays seemed to go on forever that if I had to wait 5 minutes for something it seamed like hours.

As a child if I was asked to sit still on a chair for 1 minute I would be out of my mind with boredom after a couple of seconds. Now I would feel like I’ve barely had a chance to sit down

Now I think nothing of traveling an hour and a half to get into work but as a child driving to the seaside in the same amount of time would seam to take forever. Staying up an extra half hour was ages (even 5 minutes extra seamed like a long time) but now there never seams to be enough hours in the day to get things done and the weekends just fly by without me doing half the stuff I wanted to.

It’s nearly 2010 now and for me 2009 has just flown by but this seams to be happening faster and faster as I get older. Anyone else in the same boat or do you recon its just nostalgia that makes me think this way?

Once I hit about 19-20 time seamed to hit hyperdrive.

Dose it slow down again when you hit your 60's / 70's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well, just a theory but:

As your heart grows it start's beating slower, so you feel a minute go by even faster because your heart made less beats. When you've reached peak growth time should stay more or the less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

when youre 5, a summer is 1/20th of your whole life. By 20 years old its only 1/80th. By 40 its a pathetic 1/160th which is about 2 days to a one year old.
    Follow?

The same period, just a longer reference scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'd check the battery on your watch, its actually 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

Doc wrote: »

I remember as a child my summer holidays seemed to go on forever that if I had to wait 5 minutes for something it seamed like hours.

As a child if I was asked to sit still on a chair for 1 minute I would be out of my mind with boredom after a couple of seconds. Now I would feel like I’ve barely had a chance to sit down

Now I think nothing of traveling an hour and a half to get into work but as a child driving to the seaside in the same amount of time would seam to take forever. Staying up an extra half hour was ages (even 5 minutes extra seamed like a long time) but now there never seams to be enough hours in the day to get things done and the weekends just fly by without me doing half the stuff I wanted to.

It’s nearly 2010 now and for me 2009 has just flown by but this seams to be happening faster and faster as I get older. Anyone else in the same boat or do you recon its just nostalgia that makes me think this way?

Adults tend to not think as much as children.Adults are in a series of trances all day.
    Children usually are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I blame old age. Oh, how i miss my youth :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Well according to the theory of relativity, time slows down as we approach the speed of light. So as you grow older you slow down, don't walk as fast etc... so time would appear to speed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a scientific phenomenon called The Nostalgia Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yes..
    Well Relatively..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well according to the theory of relativity, time slows down as we approach the speed of light. So as you grow older you slow down, don't walk as fast etc... so time would appear to speed up.

Well considering that on a jet plane it only gains about 50 nano seconds* on a transatlantic journey, Human beings walking pace isn't going to make any noticeable difference at all.

*Guess/Approx from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Adults tend to not think as much as children.Adults are in a series of trances all day.
    Children usually are not.
    In a nutshell, I think that's it.

A child's brain is in a constant state of development and recording. Synapses firing like no man's business. As we grow older, our brains tend to spend less time learning new behaviours and instead relying on older or more familiar ones, resulting in less "recording" and less firing synapses. Thus we're less aware of the passage of time.

I can remember as a child that the 25 minute drive to my cousins' house seemed like an eternity, and waiting 15 minutes for something or someone was fncking torture.

No I've no qualms about a two-hour drive and spending some time with my thoughts.

But some idiots do believe that time is actually going faster, that there are less hours in the day. This completely ignores the fundamental fact that even if time was moving faster within our reference frame, we wouldn't even notice. It would require all of the clocks to be in a different reference frame to all of the human beings. Nice coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

life is certainly getting faster and faster. once you get over monday and tuesday, the rest of the week goes flies by...cant believe its nearly december already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've spent all of my twenties living in the back of a Delorean so I'm quite confused about time as it is. Stop confusing me more. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think time only seems to go by so fast because adults spend more time hungover and not remembering things than children do. :pac:

Last I checked this theory is scientifically sound except it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

mawk wrote: »
    when youre 5, a summer is 1/20th of your whole life. By 20 years old its only 1/80th. By 40 its a pathetic 1/160th which is about 2 days to a one year old.
    Follow?

The same period, just a longer reference scale

I love that explanation. A teacher told it to us when I was in school and it always seems so sensible to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It was 14:30 when I started writing this. It's 14:38 now. Seemed like only 20 secs.

So, I think you're onto something with this faster moving time thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

No more jokes about the DeLorean...Sheeps has already take it to go back in time to a quake lan..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12739

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭miss_feminem

I agree! I think its only because we feel we don't have time for the fun stuff. As a child, we didn't have to worry about anything. Now all we seem to do is work, get dinner, go to bed, get up and go back to work, etc, etc.

We don't get nearly the same amount of holidays a year as a child. So what we do is count down the days to our next day off (i.e. wishing our days away and then we wonder where they went).

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Crap, if time going faster means that I'm getting old, I must be F**kin' ANCIENT! It's nearly December!! :eek: 2009!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

its not just me then:)

yes im thinking the same each christmas seems to come along quicker and quicker

when off at weekends they always just seem fly by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭WeWillBeReborn

Someone's been watching too much Doctor Who ;)

Anyone who is interested in the topic there is a piece in this special edition of scientific american about our perception of time passing. I have it at home its very interesting edition if your into time and time travel etc.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/special/toc.cfm?issueid=40&sc=singletopic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It makes you wonder though, young people always want everything NOW and are always rushing and racing to get wherever they're going even though they have their lives to get there but old people take it real slow as if they dont realise how little time they have left. Whats that about?

Advertisement