Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here come the astrixes!

• 27-11-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Heard on the radio this morning that Bray and Sligo have both protested over Sporting Fingal playing Darren Quigley in the relegation ties and the FAI Cup final. Aparantly both Bray and Sligo are claiming that the terms of his loan deal from Derry should have been quashed when Derry were kicked out of the league and that his contract should have been terminated immediately - making him inelligable for Fingal.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Meh, from what I have seen of the end of the season all clubs got what they deserved. Hardly going to replay the Cup final and promote Bray now are they, so what do they expect to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There is no chance of the replay but you have to feel for Bray. The league has failed them in some ways. They've always played by the rules, and have suffered accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

CHD wrote: »
    Meh, from what I have seen of the end of the season all clubs got what they deserved. Hardly going to replay the Cup final and promote Bray now are they, so what do they expect to achieve?

I disagree. City haven't been kicked out of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

When I heard this on the radio, I couldn't believe it.... What are they trying to achieve from this? Sore losers it seems and are looking for technicality to get them into the playoff.

This type of stuff used to happen when I played schoolboys football for god sake! LOI is a joke at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

He was cleared to play against Bray so its a case of sour grapes from sligo.
    How come nobody complains before these matches takes place and only after they lose?

• Advertisement

cymro wrote: »
    How come nobody complains before these matches takes place and only after they lose?

Not 100% sure but I think Bray did but it was rejected. Could be wrong, mind.
    LOI is a joke at this stage!

No more room on the list of reasons for not going, I'm afraid. It's bursting.

stovelid wrote: »
    No more room on the list of reasons for not going, I'm afraid. It's bursting.
    The list just keeps growing, even Shams are getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But in all fairness they have a point. If he was on loan from Derry, and they were booted out of the league, he becomes a free agent? However he wouldn't be able to sign for anyone til January 1st? That's how it works isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

fair is fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Here come the astrixes!
    Asterisks* ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What are they trying to achieve from this? Sore losers it seems and are looking for technicality to get them into the playoff.

Like Shams complaining to the FAI about Bohs spending!?:confused:

I thought they have a point about the player too.

It's easy to pass off complaints as sour grapes but why else would a club complain unless they were genuinely affected by what they perceive as wrong-doing?

As for Rovers: why shouldn't they ask that the rules are adhered to? Of course, it's motivated by coming second. Why wouldn't it be? What's wrong with making sure the playing field is level when you have willingly placed yourself at a disadvantage (and are losing /missing out on players) by being compliant with the licensing rules and adhering to a wage structure. What about teams like Bray that went down rather than gamble?

And we're not the only ones that are asking questions - look to Inchicore - just the only ones that have come out and asked the FAI about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Asterisks* ;)
    Ah, I came into the thread expecting to see this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its 2005-8 being asked about, the accounts being quoted have been around since March. Its the timing of it that stinks.

The Quigley one is interesting. Especially with Stephen Grey not being allowed sign for Lincoln at the same time.

As for Rovers: why shouldn't they ask that the rules are adhered to? Of course, it's motivated by coming second. Why wouldn't it be? What's wrong with making sure the playing field is level when you have willingly placed yourself at a disadvantage (and are losing /missing out on players) by being compliant with the licensing rules and adhering to a wage structure. What about teams like Bray that went down rather than gamble?
    What Shams have done by running to the media with rumours and gossip is embarrassing. The FAI are already looking at Bohs, they were hit with a transfer embargo during the season. Ye bottled it, ye lost it on the pitch. If I was a Shams fan I'd be more concerned with racists, hooligans, and illegal agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Rovers are one of the few good things to come out of the league this year, I wouldn't call them an embarrassment. As for Cork, Derry, etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

When I heard this on the radio, I couldn't believe it.... What are they trying to achieve from this? Sore losers it seems and are looking for technicality to get them into the playoff.

This type of stuff used to happen when I played schoolboys football for god sake! LOI is a joke at this stage!
    LOI has been a joke for several years now - but it is getting worse

But still, you have to show up so you can call yourself a real fan on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pure Cork wrote: »
    What Shams have done by running to the media with rumours and gossip is embarrassing. The FAI are already looking at Bohs, they were hit with a transfer embargo during the season. Ye bottled it, ye lost it on the pitch. If I was a Shams fan I'd be more concerned with racists, hooligans, and illegal agents.

But they aren't rumours, the Bohs accounts for 08 were leaked. Some of the figures just can't be true.

What Shams have done by running to the media with rumours and gossip is embarrassing.

Rovers are doing what a few clubs want to do. It's not to do with a league that was already lost on the pitch. It's just asking the FAI to make sure that there is level playing field going forward.

We'd be waiting a while for a club like yours to try and do anything, that's for sure. But then why would you bite the hand that feeds you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

LOI has been a joke for several years now - but it is getting worse

But still, you have to show up so you can call yourself a real fan on here

Please stop with this 'Real Fan' ****. It's getting really annoying now. I don't know anyone who goes to Terryland week in week out just so they can be branded a real fan. They go because they support their team and go to see their team as much as possible.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    But they aren't rumours, the Bohs accounts for 08 were leaked. Some of the figures just can't be true.
    I know the accounts were leaked. The FAI have seen Bohs accounts, and Bohs have been sanctioned. If Bohs break the rules they will be punished. It is not Shams job to police the league, and they are in no position to do so. If they have solid evidence then fair enough bring it to the attention of the FAI, but all they have is a set of accounts and hearsay. It's pathetic that they ran to the media with this.

It's not to do with a league that was already lost on the pitch.
    Ahem...
    It's easy to pass off complaints as sour grapes but why else would a club complain unless they were genuinely affected by what they perceive as wrong-doing?

As for Rovers: why shouldn't they ask that the rules are adhered to? Of course, it's motivated by coming second. Why wouldn't it be?

We'll see what transpires. Nothing is proven, although don't kid yourself that Rovers are the only one asking questions.

And as for the idea that compliant clubs (all of them) should just sit back and accept an unfair playing field for fear of breaking some kind of LOI omerta or for fear of being called snitches - well, fuck that.

although do racists and hooligans shame easily?

I wouldn't know. Perhaps a racists and hooligans straw-poll is needed.

Well, we'll see what transpires. Nothing is proven, although don't kid yourself that Rovers are the only one asking questions.

And as for the idea that compliant clubs (all of them) should just sit back and accept an unfair playing field for fear of breaking some kind of LOI omerta or for fear of being called snitches - well, fuck that.

I don't think that Shams are the only ones asking questions, or that clubs should sit back and accept an unfair playing field. I think this was a pathetic stunt. It's embarrassing for Shams to run to the media with pure hearsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Rovers are well within their right to ask questions of Bohs if they feel there are legitimate questions to answer. They haven't accused Bohs of anything, they've just asked the FAI to look at how Bohs have come to certain figures, especially as there have been suspicions of how and if Bohs get under the wage cap!

Maybe it is sour grapes, or maybe Rovers would have done the same thing even if they had won the league. But i for one am glad that these questions are asked. Especially as Derry City have been dealt with. It's time the LOI got it's finger out and started addressing issues and dealing with any underhand tactics that may be going on. The league has a joke reputation at the moment and it's time to get it's house in order.

If Bohs have nothing to hide, if they've done everything above board, then they should have no qualms or worries about answering questions that have being doing the rounds. In fact, they should be only too happy to do so.

And does anyone know for certain that it was Rovers who leaked this story??

monkey9 wrote: »
    And does anyone know for certain that it was Rovers who leaked this story??

Anybody could have. It was private correspondence between Rovers and the FAI. It might suit the FAI to have done so. Maybe Quinn just unearthed it. I have no clue.

I can see why Cork fans have touching faith in their fairy godmothers in the FAI to do the right thing, but I and many other supporters (in different clubs) don't.

As for clubs lobbying the FAI - is that like Bohs pressuring the FAI to act on the potential strike action before Cork played us? Or their opposition to Madrid playing in Tallaght? Or trying to blow up the alleged Ndo incident across the media and SARI?

I can see why Cork fans have touching faith in their fairy godmothers in the FAI to do the right thing, but I and many other supporters (in different clubs) don't.
    The FAI run the league and it is their responsibility to police the league, not any of the clubs. Everybody has to work with the FAI.

As for clubs lobbying the FAI - is that like Bohs pressuring the FAI to act on the potential strike action before Cork played us?
    The difference is, the league was wide open at that stage so they didn't seem like bitter losers, and they didn't present a load of hearsay. Remember at that time all the Shams fans saying they wanted to win it on the pitch :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The FAI run the league and it is their responsibility to police the league, not any of the clubs. Everybody has to work with the FAI.

Yeah, but are Rovers policing the league? All i see here is them putting questions to the FAI that they'd like answers to, and is that not working with the FAI?
    They haven't made any demands (as far as i know), they have just voiced concerns?

Ok, the fact that it has come out in the media is another thing, but again it is not nessessarily Rovers who have leaked it. Sure isn't the journalist in question a Bohs fan??

The difference is, the league was wide open at that stage so they didn't seem like bitter losers, and they didn't present a load of hearsay..

It wasn't necessarily wide open. Bohs were behind us, however, the point is that clubs do lobby the FAI when they feel that issues must be raised.

I'm not sure I get the bitter loser thing. Why should clubs not stress that the salary protocol be adhered to for fear of looking like bad losers? Why should clubs accept the flouting of licensing regulations because complaining doesn't look good?

And again, the letter was private. I have no idea if, or how, it was leaked. It may very well suit the FAI to leak it. They've already seen fit to censure Bohs this season. I have no idea how the letter got into the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

SantryRed wrote: »

Answered better than I could here - http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1283923&postcount=93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

bohsman wrote: »
    The Quigley one is interesting. Especially with Stephen Grey not being allowed sign for Lincoln at the same time.

That was James McClean AFAIK. It makes sense that Quigley shouldn't have een allowed to play. I'd like to see the FAI's reasoning behind it.

Advertisement