Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post redirection service

• 27-11-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭

All we hear from our inept government is about bringing costs of operating in Ireland down and how we have deflation with prices descreasing in value.
    Well could someone of our bright spark government go and tell An post this ?
    An post with is a state body after all or was in sold when I wasn't looking. :rolleyes:

The cost of an annual post re-direction service went from €100 last year to €110 this year. :mad:
    So we have had a 10% increase in one year and not just not any year, but in 2009 when costs are supposed to be coming down.

No wonder we are so f***ed.

I am not allowed discuss …

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

An Post is semi state. Thus they were not on strike the other day, they were out in the rain delivering your mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jameshayes wrote: »
    An Post is semi state. Thus they were not on strike the other day, they were out in the rain delivering your mail.

What has that got to do with them upping the price by 10% ?
    Oh and btw lots of people were out in the rain and should we be ever so grateful, as you imply in your post, that they weren't on strike ?

Ah so semi state means that they are not a state body :rolleyes:
    Oh lets see who owns them, private individuals, another company ?
    Who do they report to, shareholders, private owner or a government minister ?

This pi**es me off becuase it is the same line we have from the ones also bleating how ESB are not state owned.
    It is hiding behind semantics.

Anyway back to the issue.
    Why a 10% increase over the last year ?
    Have the wages gone up by 10% ?
    Has the cost of the sticky labels gone up by 10% ?

BTW I don't believe the rates for this service were set by the postmen/women who were out in the rain.

Mods maybe this should be moved to Irish Economy under Politics forum as it is turnign into state versus private argument ?

Unfortunately I don’t know the historic prices of the redirection service, maybe you could let us know the last time there was an increase prior to this year?

Inflation is (AFAIK) currently 3% so an increase of €3 would be expected, although if the last increase in the cost of this service was some time ago - maybe this increase is jusitified.

The organisation as a whole is in trouble and they are in the process of a massive cost reduction policy which is seening the reduction of hours, the number of employees and other operating costs. Thus, they must feel they have the right to increase this cost by 10% in order to increase revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jameshayes wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don’t know the historic prices of the redirection service, maybe you could let us know the last time there was an increase prior to this year?

Inflation is (AFAIK) currently 3% so an increase of €3 would be expected, although if the last increase in the cost of this service was some time ago - maybe this increase is jusitified.

The organisation as a whole is in trouble and they are in the process of a massive cost reduction policy which is seening the reduction of hours, the number of employees and other operating costs. Thus, they must feel they have the right to increase this cost by 10% in order to increase revenue.

I don't know when was the last increase, but anyone with bit of cop on should know that this is not the time to be increasing costs.
    If government are serious about making us competitive again, then they need to start making sure that all publicly owned bodies start offering cuts or at least not increasing their costs to the end users.

But of course this is Ireland where we make ourselves more uncompetitive when we should be doing the opposite.

I know what would happen if I tried increasing my costs by 10% for the coming year.
    Maybe I should claim I needed to do it to increase revenue and then it will al be fine :rolleyes:

BTW that comment about they must feel they have the right to increase this cost stinks of public sector speak. :mad:
    Try that in private sector non monopoly and see where it gets you. :rolleyes:

jmayo wrote: »
    I don't know when was the last increase, but anyone with bit of cop on should know that this is not the time to be increasing costs.

I'd say that when the new cost reduction plans were introduced they looked at all areas of the business, they realised that this particular function was operating at a loss and increased the cost in such a way to reduce that loss, or god forbid even make a profit.
    jmayo wrote: »

BTW that comment about they must feel they have the right to increase this cost stinks of public sector speak. :mad:
    Try that in private sector non monopoly and see where it gets you. :rolleyes:

I dont work in the public sector, I work in a private sector company - in no way semi state or otherwise.

Regardless my comments are about making money, something the majority of public sector workers are not interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Of course, they could be stuffing the prices up with a view to making it more profitable before it gets privatised. The government's bound to start selling the family jewels when the market's down, so's we don't get the full worth in the deficit-reducing kitty.

Advertisement