Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Christmas Trees - Where?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could pick up a (real) christmas tree this weekend in Cork city or hinterland? Preferably not from a large scale store like Woodie's but more from a local source?

I heard that trees are available on the Coal Quay but I'm not sure if they will be on sale this early or in another week or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

O' Callaghans Garage in Ballyvolane (across from Dunnes) do them:)

Not sure if they have them yet though - we don't get a real tree at home but i always see them being sold there every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Thanks Leahy,

If anyone knows of anywhere else please let me know in case O'Callaghan's don't have them in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 waz1

griffins garden centre @ inniscarra have a great selection, you can wals through the lot and select the tree you want. They will trim off any unwanted branches and cut down the trunk to fit your stand, before wrapping tightly in a net for ease of transport. can be a little pricey.
    Another good selection @ garden centre in Kerry pike, cant think of the name off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Amberley's shop up by the airport used to always do them, not sure if they still do though.
    On the back Douglas road between Douglas and Carrigaline there is a place with a sign at the side of the road just before the graveyard (coming from Douglas) that usually appears every year saying that they sell them. Other than that I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you managed to find one, I may be able to help you but it will involve a spin and chainsaw..nothing scary my dad has some on the land (hahah) but they are out a bit well an hour or so journey

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips, I'm going to have a look tomorrow will probably ring a few of the suggested places ahead to save a trip in case they're not in yet.

@milly33 - Thanks for the offer! Sounds like the synopsis for a horror movie, a spin and a chainsaw out to the sticks :D I'll probly just try some of the places above tho as will be short on time tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha it sounds pretty scary alrite...If you have any problems sure say we might even be down there at the weekend so could pick one up....There was a place in Monkstown also that used to do a pick your own tree but I am not to sure if they are still there good luck with the hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

passed o callaghans earlier and didn't see any. There is usually a place on the right half way down center park road that have a large selection of trees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I used to get mine from Guide Dogs for the Blind on Model Farm Road

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There was a place down by the Marina business park that for the last few years that used to do them also, always seemed to do good business to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ais99

Have a look @ Christmastree.ie, I'm looking for a real one too and found this place in Mahon. Trees look nice and are reasonably priced too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Nangles/nagles on model farm road supplied us with Christmas trees for many many many years. They do the holly and mistletoe as well.

Shame I'm now in Dublin with a piss poor minature fake. Humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Any place to buy real trees in town? I dont have a car you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Steoob wrote: »
    Any place to buy real trees in town? I dont have a car you see.

Down on the Coalquay is the only place I can think of in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I think that Hanleys Garden Centre over at Kinsale Rd Roundabout/Travelodge have them. Well they did in previous years but alas I am not in Cork at the moment so am not sure of this year. They also have a whole store dedicated to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

The Coal Quay is the only place I know of in town to get a real Christmas tree, was there yesterday but didn't notice any for sale, but then, it is still November (just).

FYI:

I went about looking for a tree yesterday and didn't have any luck, it's just a bit too early I guess. None on the Coal Quay, or Amberly's, or O'Callaghan's or ChristmasTree.ie.

The guy from ChristmasTree.ie in Mahon confirmed that they will be in this Thursday however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ya it probably is a bit early - they definitely be in next week though i'd say cos it's only 3 weeks to Christmas from next Friday:eek: Can't believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Beech Hill Garden Centre at the COPE foundation on the Middle Glanmire Road is great for Xmas stuff and the proceeds go to a very noble cause too.

It's about half way down the Middle Glanmire Road, on the lower side of the road (i.e. closer to the Lee)

They'd a really good selection of trees any year that we've been up there and if you're 'Eastside' i.e in Montenotte, Mayfield, Tivoli, St. Lukes, Silverspings, Ballyvolane etc it's quite a handy spot and easy to park at!

Phone : 021-4507131

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

D-Generate wrote: »
    I think that Hanleys Garden Centre over at Kinsale Rd Roundabout/Travelodge have them. Well they did in previous years but alas I am not in Cork at the moment so am not sure of this year. They also have a whole store dedicated to Christmas.

yep, they will deffo have them. They have their Christmas store all lit up and ready for another season of over-charging for cheap tacky goods!!
    As for trees, they are pretty reasonable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ais99

After searching through town and being a tad fussy, found a guy selling them on the Mallow Rd, he's in Rathduff (where speed limit drops to 60) and by the pub and Top Petrol pump on the road. He had a load of really nice quality trees and are nice & full. Prices go from around €25 to €40..

Def worth a visit if you have a car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

B&Q in Mahon have hundreds in there garden centre - they are "not wrapped" so you can see them, and then they wrap them for ya

FYI on 96fm this morning they said there would be a shortage in Ireland of 250,000 tress! although 1,000,000 are harvested, 750,000 are to be exported and they figure 500,000 will be bought here - that leaves 250,000 short

Advertisement