Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyfermot or Palmerstown

• 27-11-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I mentioned before that my brother lives in Palmerstown - his son is looking to by a house in the area or surrounding areas and has narrowed it down to two houses that he really likes; one in Ballyfermot and the other in Palmerstown. Wondering do people think the houses are better value in D10 rather than D20?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It really depends on what parts of each place the houses are in? Are they established housing estates? What's the crime stats like? Both Palmerstown and Ballyfermot have lovely estates and...problem areas, pretty much like anywhere else.
    Remember too that the value of the house means nothing if you are plagued by nasty neighbours or gangs of people intimidating locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

If you can link me to the two houses or even the names of the roads they're on I can give you a fairly good idea of what the immediate areas are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Christy, that would be great please. One of the houses is on Lally Road Ballyfermot and the other on Turret Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I'd pick Palmerstown over Ballyfermot anyday. And before anyone throws a hissy fit I live in Ballyer - on a lovely quite road - but still...we rented in Palmerstown for nearly 10 years and to this day I regret not going that extra few bob and buying in Palmerstown but husband wanted to be 'closer to mammy' so we chose Ballyfermot.

Not very helpful tho, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I would definately go with Palmerstown. Turret Road can be fairly busy traffic wise so be aware of that. Nice solid houses though and friendly neighbours. Lally road is Ballyfermot is not too bad, depends on which end you're on, I'd rather the lower number houses. Very close to the city center too. Palmerstown has a lot more going for it though - nicer people, better facilities, pubs, stewarts hospital swinmming pool, liffey valley close by, M50 access. D20 is definately a nicer area than D10.

• Advertisement

livEwirE wrote: »
    I would definately go with Palmerstown. Turret Road can be fairly busy traffic wise so be aware of that. Nice solid houses though and friendly neighbours. Lally road is Ballyfermot is not too bad, depends on which end you're on, I'd rather the lower number houses. Very close to the city center too. Palmerstown has a lot more going for it though - nicer people, better facilities, pubs, stewarts hospital swinmming pool, liffey valley close by, M50 access. D20 is definately a nice area than D10.

You forgot the Superdome bowling centre in Palmerstown :)
    Not sure I agree that D20 is 'better' than D10 (or vice-versa). As I said, both areas have high and low points. I do agree however that Palmerstown has better facilities. That said, Ballyer is only down the road. A quick car journey away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

BOOKWORM.1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply's guys.

Christy, that would be great please. One of the houses is on Lally Road Ballyfermot and the other on Turret Road.

I agree with what someone above me said about Lally the lower end is grand however the nearest shops are usually full of scumbags tbh. Turret road is in a lovely area and in comparison the shops around the corner on manor road are much more pleasant albeit harder to find parking at lol

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Palmerstown for definate. I grew up just around the corner from Turrett Road and loved it. There are new plans in place to make a lot of the roads around that area one way and for new parking bays around the Oval and Manor Road which should make the traffic a bit easier.
    On the other hand the area has gone down a lot in the past five years, would not walk around it at night time but a lot of towns are like that now. Best of luck to your nephew with his new house which ever one he chooses.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

No offense to anyone but I rented in Palmerstown for a year and wasn't impressed. The lane ways at the rear of the properties are like something out of a war zone and would make you think what the hell is actually going on there. On a few occasions there were burnt out cars in the lane ways and dumped rubbish.

Try to keep the comments as constructive as possible. If you can think of a negative, try to think of a positive. :) Sorry if I seem to be harping on this but the nature of threads like this is that they are always treading the fine line between being useful and informative and something that has to be binned. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

Sorry about that.

As positives go the location is second to none. Good bus service and not a million miles from the airport so it suited us for work commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HP44

Palmerstown.
    Quieter, cleaner, safer, greener, more open spaces, bigger houses in general, good local amenities, bang on the M50, closer to the far better choice of schools in Lucan.

A far far less amount of people that are referred to as skangers.
    Historically, Palmerstown was populated in the 70s-80s by a lot people from Ballyfermot who could afford to move to a "nicer" area. I may take some stick for saying that.
    The vast majority of my friends' parents in Palmerstown are orginally from Ballyfermot.

I'd also say that many parts and the populace of Palmerstown would be lower middle class which I think makes for a more pleasant place to live and creates a better atmosphere. I think classing people is a horrible thing, but it helps to put my post into perspective.

Growing up in Palmerstown you were constantly called posh by people from Ballyfermot, although, conversely, people from Lucan used to call us skangers.

In brief, I'd consider Palmerstown a much much more pleasant place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭johnfunk

Avoid turret road, its a rat run and the constant stream of traffic is a pain. My mum lives near the top of the road and at certain times of the day the road can be blocked with cars.

Having grown up in Ballyfermot and recently bought in Palmerstown id say houses in certain parts of Palmerstown would hold there value better.

Advertisement