Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch Alarm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Try open up the sensor and remove the battery . Get a small piece of wire and touch it off both the battery clips in the sensor to make a connection then remove and replace the battery .it acts like a reset . Have you tried using a new battery or a battery from another sensor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I did replace the battery as I originally thought it must have been getting low. Not sure I see how shorting the batterry terminals would do something. Does the sensor carry some state even with battery removed? Some residual power from a capacitor after battery removed?

I can give it a try ok.

What would the failure status indicate about the sensor?

Some of them do :-)
    Sensor failure means the panel hasn't recieved the supervisory signal from that sensor .
    Can you post a picture of the sensor that's causing trouble ?

Did you try that ?

• Advertisement

I've tried that - removed battery, shorted terminals, reinserted battery.

It sill complained about sensor failure, indeed non-stop. When in system test, there were packet bursts sent by this sensor every minute or few mins for the duration of testing. The status remined in sensor failure all the time.

I took out the intertia unit and shorted it's terminals with a thin jumper wire, re-inserted and closed it again. The system status went to "system ok" and in system test, there were no packets sent by this sensor.

I made an enquiry with PW about a replacement sensor. It seems they are the sole provider for this unit in Ireland and they will not sell it without having an engineer visit to check it. They initially quoted "health & safety" as reason but that turned out to be a weak excuse. After a little further probing, they just said that they can't sell it with out engineer visit, dropping the h&s excuse.

sigh

Altor suggests to replace the "sensor head" component within the sensor. The one that's in it is GE brand. The one that Altor mentions is by Aritech and should cost about €6-8 from local suppliers.

I was looking for more info on these components but haven't come up with good details.

do you have a magnet on this sensor too ?
    Before you buy a head swap it with a head from another sensor and see if the other sensor reports a failure with the other head in it .likewise with the current head placed in the other sensor .

Good idea. I'll try that.
    No, just shock sensors for windows.

I think it's the pcb . If the sensor head was faulty in theory it should be transmitting a signal all the time and the panel should accept this as a supervisory . When it causes false alarms does it say sensor failure or is it an alarm event being triggered ?

• Advertisement

I put the problem head into other sensor and that sensor did then report a fault.

I think that for false alarms, it reported sensor alarm. I wasn't very well informed about the status info at the time and wasn't paying attention to the report details.

So you need a new sensor head :-)What happened when you put the working head into the other sensor ? I didn't know a sensor could detect if the sensor head was faulty . First time for everything :-)

I did put the good one into the problem sensor and it seemed to then be healthy.

Also, now I have the short circuit wire across the terminals of the problem sensor head and the system status is ok. I had it that way over last night too.

I see that aritech is a brand or sub company of GE so I guess the heads are the same but with different branding.

Yup . But since those sensors can detect if the sensor is faulty you'd want to make sure getting the right one :-) Altor will help you better then me on this I'm afraid :-)

Well, for the princely sum of €6, I bought a replacement sensor head and it seems (touch wood) to be working ok now. Better than €110+€86 which PW would have charged for engineer visit + replacement sensor; that's assuming they'd replace the entire unit, and sure why wouldn't they.

Very great thanks to Altor and Thunderbird2 for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Hi hope someone can help with this.

We have a Concord alarm system, pic of the control panel below, and we've cancelled the Eircom PW and it's not connected to a phone line anymore so we just want to use it unmonitored. Eircom said they could send a technician out to stop the alarm from dialling out and get rid of this 'System phone trouble' from constantly sounding off but of course they want us to pay a fee for this. Is there any way I could do this myself, I have the engineer code just need instruction on how to stop it trying to dial out?

I'm not really knowledgable and I'm sure one of the guys who know will answer soon. The good news is that it's probably very straight forward to fix.
    First, you need an installation manual.

Your problem is that you have a central station set up (i.e phonewatch monitoring). You coulld disable the error reporting. See page 36 of this manual where it refers to "Comm Failure" parameter. You can set this to off and it won't complain with "trouble beeps". There'll be plenty of other settings relating to reporting to the central station but maybe the parameter I mention above will be a quick fix for the beeps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Please do not link to installation manuals. Send by PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mm_surf

Hi All,
    We live in a rented house, have a concord system. Currently unmonitored, adn we don't use the alarm itself anyways (other arrangements in place).

Has a "system low battery" problem, but that's not the issue - pressing stutus used to shut the beeping up. As of an hour ago, it doesn't - it seems to immediately retest and start beeping again.

Quite annoying obviously - any way of shutting the damn thing up? Have an operators manual but it hasn't got any clues.

Thanks!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

mm_surf wrote: »
    Hi All,
    We live in a rented house, have a concord system. Currently unmonitored, adn we don't use the alarm itself anyways (other arrangements in place).

Has a "system low battery" problem, but that's not the issue - pressing stutus used to shut the beeping up. As of an hour ago, it doesn't - it seems to immediately retest and start beeping again.

Quite annoying obviously - any way of shutting the damn thing up? Have an operators manual but it hasn't got any clues.

Thanks!

M.

You get the low battery warning but say that this isn't the issue - are you sure? I was getting this and replacing the battery sorted the issue immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mm_surf

Kace wrote: »
    You get the low battery warning but say that this isn't the issue - are you sure? I was getting this and replacing the battery sorted the issue immediately.

Thanks KAce. I'm sure the battery is giving the warning alright (and replacing it *should* shut it up)

The issue is that pressing "status" doesn't "clear" the situation - it gives the 5 warning beeps in another minute. And another. And another. And another. And another........

I was wondering if there was a way to "silence" the panel itself, i.e. stop the beeps. We don't use the alarm, and its a rented house - so fixing the problem isn't really an issue for me, but the constant beeping is!

Thanks,
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 big baz

Hello,

I am hoping for someone's expertise to try and get this alarm of mine to stop beeping at all hours of the morning, I have young kids and they wake up terrified to the loud beeps of the alarm!

I have an Eircom Phonewatch Euro Simon Security System installed since 2002, recently I got the system low battery message and thanks to this thread and everyone's advice and help I have replaced that and everything there is ok, so far so good.

Problem:

I'm getting the System phone communications failure error, the system is not monitored anymore and the unit has been disconnected from the phone line, can someone help me please to stop the unit giving this failure error and beeping at night and during the day? The only paperwork I have is the user manual for the Simon panel and the NSAI completion cert, user access code, but no engineer code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Baz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

bou wrote: »
    Well, for the princely sum of €6, I bought a replacement sensor head and it seems (touch wood) to be working ok now. Better than €110+€86 which PW would have charged for engineer visit + replacement sensor; that's assuming they'd replace the entire unit, and sure why wouldn't they.

Very great thanks to Altor and Thunderbird2 for your help.

Good to see you got it sorted. Some difference in the actual cost for the repair.
    Another thing to note reading your posts is the system itself did not need to be defaulted. If you have any other issues with the sensors please check the sensor head as I advised. Most of the problems turn out to be the head rather than the sensor itself ;)

Ruen wrote: »
    Hi hope someone can help with this.

We have a Concord alarm system, pic of the control panel below, and we've cancelled the Eircom PW and it's not connected to a phone line anymore so we just want to use it unmonitored. Eircom said they could send a technician out to stop the alarm from dialling out and get rid of this 'System phone trouble' from constantly sounding off but of course they want us to pay a fee for this. Is there any way I could do this myself, I have the engineer code just need instruction on how to stop it trying to dial out?

Yes, press 8. Enter the engineer code then press 00.
    This will bring you into Engineer mode.
    Go into phone options and delete the phone numbers.
    Then scroll to phone options and turn off the phone test.
    This will leave it as a stand alone unit.

mm_surf wrote: »
    Thanks KAce. I'm sure the battery is giving the warning alright (and replacing it *should* shut it up)

The issue is that pressing "status" doesn't "clear" the situation - it gives the 5 warning beeps in another minute. And another. And another. And another. And another........

I was wondering if there was a way to "silence" the panel itself, i.e. stop the beeps. We don't use the alarm, and its a rented house - so fixing the problem isn't really an issue for me, but the constant beeping is!

Thanks,
    M.

The only way is by fixing the fault on the system.
    Replacing the battery in the main unit if it is saying system low battery is your only option. It is a 12V 2.1amp battery.It can be got in any of the suppliers here.

Any other problems let us know.

big baz wrote: »
    Hello,

I am hoping for someone's expertise to try and get this alarm of mine to stop beeping at all hours of the morning, I have young kids and they wake up terrified to the loud beeps of the alarm!

I have an Eircom Phonewatch Euro Simon Security System installed since 2002, recently I got the system low battery message and thanks to this thread and everyone's advice and help I have replaced that and everything there is ok, so far so good.

Problem:

I'm getting the System phone communications failure error, the system is not monitored anymore and the unit has been disconnected from the phone line, can someone help me please to stop the unit giving this failure error and beeping at night and during the day? The only paperwork I have is the user manual for the Simon panel and the NSAI completion cert, user access code, but no engineer code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Baz.

If you first try drop the lid and enter 54321. It will say please select from start menu. (if not just close up the lid)
    If the engineer code was set up incorrectly it will allow you delete option 04, 05 and option 06.

You can request the code off P.W if the system is in your name.
    You will need this to delete the phone numbers to stop the system trying to ring out. Another option is to have the system defaulted and reprogrammed.

altor wrote: »
    If you first try drop the lid and enter 54321. It will say please select from start menu. (if not just close up the lid)
    If the engineer code was set up incorrectly it will allow you delete option 04, 05 and option 06.

You can request the code off P.W if the system is in your name.
    You will need this to delete the phone numbers to stop the system trying to ring out. Another option is to have the system defaulted and reprogrammed.

Hi altor,

Good man, that worked :D How do I now delete the options 04, 05, and option 06 successfully?

Thanks for your help!

Hi altor,

Good man, that worked :D How do I now delete the options 04, 05, and option 06 successfully?

Thanks for your help!

It may not be the main engineer code.
    If it is it will allow you delete the options.

Enter engineering.
    Press delete, option, 04, done.
    Press delete, option, 05, done.
    Press delete, option, 06, done.

If it allows you delete these options then close up the lid.

altor wrote: »
    It may not be the main engineer code.
    If it is it will allow you delete the options.

Enter engineering.
    Press delete, option, 04, done.
    Press delete, option, 05, done.
    Press delete, option, 06, done.

If it allows you delete these options then close up the lid.

Thanks so much altor for your help. All is well now, fair play t ya :D

• Advertisement

Thanks so much altor for your help. All is well now, fair play t ya :D

Your welcome big baz. Any other probkems let us know..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement