Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Deaths

Options
  • 27-11-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

In the past few months we've lost three cats, one I've mentioned on here in a very long post, Dolly Dot, she went eventually by the vet putting her to sleep. The next was one of the outdoor cats Simon, he just disappeared about a month ago and only this week, our indoor cat Hannibal was hit by a car...! We had heard that a cat had been hit in the lane and that a neighbour had moved the body into the wayside. We had to find the neighbour then get him to show us where so we could actually bury him in our garden...

The reason I post really is, I used to find the cats such a hassle in the house as we had 5 inside and 4 outside... but the past few months have shown me how fragile they are and a little bit of fur around the house and the cost of food is nothing to letting them have a happier life. I found it quite upsetting to see Hannibal all smashed and bloody when I used to see him leaping about and bringing home various little creature... taught me that looking after them is a good thing and long may we do it.

With the loss of the 2 indoor we've taken in a further 3 kittens that were nesting in the garden, so we're now at 6 inside with only one outside... sure they appreciate it =)

Interesting names too: Mohawk, Mozart, Orange, Beady Gonzales, Bill and Sookie inside and Mimic outside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

sorry for your loss Noffles especially in such a horrific way, do you know where the three kittens mom is? did she abandon them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Paul91 wrote: »
    sorry for your loss Noffles especially in such a horrific way, do you know where the three kittens mom is? did she abandon them?

Hey she lives in the small estate we live in and has let them nest in our garden... We intend to catch her soon and get her "seen to" as she may well do this again.

And yes I agree about the road death, proper shame as he was a little legend when it came to catching voles and mice... sure they'll be delighted to see him go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just as an aside, I've just this moment picked up a cat I've see outside for two months plus - dead, off the road. I put gloves on and bagged her up and she's now in my bin.

In my bin.

Do you hear, anyone who wonders where their pet cat is that they let out after dark?

I can't find her owner, it's 11pm at night, and she's in my fucking bin.

THAT is where your outside cat is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Hi Sweeper,

I've a cat who i absolutely love with all my heart but who goes outside, I can't stop him going outside, he will meaow non-stop for hours or scratch the crap out of the carpet, couch, curtains, wife, until we relent and let him out.

I worry about him getting knocked down all the time, but he simply wont stay indoors.

Any ideas on how to make him more homely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Hi Sweeper,

I've a cat who i absolutely love with all my heart but who goes outside, I can't stop him going outside, he will meaow non-stop for hours or scratch the crap out of the carpet, couch, curtains, wife, until we relent and let him out.

I worry about him getting knocked down all the time, but he simply wont stay indoors.

Any ideas on how to make him more homely?

Play with the cat?
    Get a laser pointer, the cat will chase it for hours.

Get some concentrated catnip and spray it on a little teddy.
    The cat will roll around kicking the teddy's ass for ages.

EDIT: My cats also used to scratch the crap out of the furniture etc... So i bought a claw trimmer. If the cats going to be inside then its no problem trimming the claws.
    Also, if you dont want to trim the claws, then spray the catnip onto the scratching post to encourage the cat to use that rather than the couch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement