Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Little Piece of the Irish Military- Where?

• 27-11-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a good friend in Poland who is mad about all things military. Whenever we visit him and his wife or if they are coming to Ireland he always brings me a little souvenir. For a birthday a few years back he gave me a Polish infantry cap from the 80s. Another time he brought over a handmade model of a Russian tank on the plane. I've also been given some WW2 era ammunition belts and a few other bits and pieces. When we go visit next year he has one of those metal helmets for me, sorry I don't know of the correct term.

My question is, is there anywhere I can buy a little piece of Irish military history or even some merchandise. I'd really like to bring him something connected with Irelands military as he'd be absolutely thrilled with it. Is there anywhere I can buy something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if someone was bringing me a present I'd like a Vicker M1927 helmet in good condition......but they're too expensive for a simple pressie.

Ebay with a search for "Irish Army" "Free State army"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

most irish military stuff is exspensive tbh...

you could look for a cap badge or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Get someone to sell you his beret;) Only joking, only joking. I know it's illegal.

A cap badge or other badge might be the only possibility. Irish militaria is expensive and relatively rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

There is actually usually stuff on E-bay, although I reckon a lot could be fake. Maybe a picture of a battle - you often see them in antique shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

how about a subscription to the Irish Defence Forces magazine An Cosantoir :

http://www.dfmagazine.ie/subscribe.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I see a few of you have mentioned cap badges. Where could I buy these?

Advertisement