Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget gone, another shop to be left idle in Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr.

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Last month we had Spectra pull out leaving a gap in the 2nd floor of DL SC, now Budget have pulled the pin. It will be a while before these places are filled again.

I think DL Shopping Ctr should clear out the top floor completely and move those up stairs to the lower levels and reserve the top level for stall traders and weekend markets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More worrying is that Tesco are trying to reduce / have reduced the floor space of their head office on floors 4/5/6 down to just 5 & reception on 4.

Large loss of rent for offices they have no chance of renting to anyone else cos they're awful.
    I think DL Shopping Ctr should clear out the top floor completely and move those up stairs to the lower levels and reserve the top level for stall traders and weekend markets.

Thats just ridiculous. There are far more shops on the top floor than vacant space on the other two floors. Toymaster, Art & hobby, stationary, bookshop, marks models, hairdresser, gallery, optician, specsavers, antiques places, clothes shop, angel shop, restaurant, jewelary shop, motor tax place, pub etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thats just ridiculous. There are far more shops on the top floor than vacant space on the other two floors. Toymaster, Art & hobby, stationary, bookshop, marks models, hairdresser, gallery, optician, specsavers, antiques places, clothes shop, angel shop, restaurant, jewelary shop, motor tax place, pub etc etc...

Still if they grouped them together they could make quite a lot of space availible. I am also surprised they don't copy St Stephens Green Sc by having smaller outlets and temporary displays, artists ety utilizing some of the free space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

it's disappointing to see so many shops in DL close and remain empty alright :( The new Crazy nuts shop in the old DL shopping centre looks lovely though - fair play to the guy for taking a chance, it must take some guts. A few more shops like that could bring some life back into the centre. Bloomfield even seems a bit more lively since Tuthills opened up!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anyone have any idea how much renting a Shop in the Old Shopping Ctr is?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Still if they grouped them together they could make quite a lot of space availible. I am also surprised they don't copy St Stephens Green Sc by having smaller outlets and temporary displays, artists ety utilizing some of the free space.

Interestingly enough, there is a new stand paying cash for gold just outside Tesco in DLSC. They have a sign outside saying 'Discreet Service' when it actally couldn't be any less discreet. :confused:

A lot of these centres are now willing to take on month to month and even week to week rolling contracts. Surprised none of those 2 euro shops have gone in to any of these units yet - they're obviously not giving them away just yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Speaking of which...where exactly is the motor tax place? Had a quick look around the centre the other day and couldn't find it.

On topic, they really need to come up with something to entice more businesses, the place just seems to get worse and worse every month!
    If it were up to me, I'd knock the place down and build a smaller scale centre...at the moment it ruins the view of Dun Laoghaire!

crushproof wrote: »
    Speaking of which...where exactly is the motor tax place? Had a quick look around the centre the other day and couldn't find it.

On topic, they really need to come up with something to entice more businesses, the place just seems to get worse and worse every month!
    If it were up to me, I'd knock the place down and build a smaller scale centre...at the moment it ruins the view of Dun Laoghaire!

it was beside the restauarant near the angel shop but may be gone by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

they have a list on the website of shops and prices.

I looked at renting a place on the top floor a couple of years ago and it was about €90k per year plus rates etc. downstairs was even more expensive and next to Tesco was more expensive still.

I can't believe it would be 90k for a top floor unit! Was it large? I'd say it has dropped an awful lot now though, especially as there are so, so many empty units (and long-term in a lot of cases) in the DL main streeet area now. I wonder will there ever be a new tenant in the old O'Briens Off-licence, Minnie Peters & Savills? Surely after a few years empty (as in the cae of O'briens for example), landlords must start thinking that any rent is better than no rent?? Airwave in Bloomfield is also quite a large unit which closed down more recently, in addition to the closures in the old DL SC.

The prices do seem to have come down, but you need to include the rent, service charge, rates and insurance to get the total cost. http://www.dunlaoghairesc.ie/toLet.php i think it was unit 340 or 342 I enquited about previously, although it was the one next to Toymaster that I really wanted, which is over €100k per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Had no luck finding the Q4U motor tax office...unless it hidden down a darkened hallway it's definately not there! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Had no luck finding the Q4U motor tax office...unless it hidden down a darkened hallway it's definately not there! :confused:

it's a small kiosk facing fuji photo which is at the entrance nearest AIB Bank.

sgt.bilko wrote: »

ah, they moved into the old juice bar downstairs so

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Has anyone ever seen anyone order anything from the bagel bar? How on earth is that still open?

Has anyone ever seen anyone order anything from the bagel bar? How on earth is that still open?

Lol, the one opposite Holland & Barrett? (Speaking of which H&B was a great recent addition to the centre, just the kind of store it needs). I have actually seen a few people getting stuff from time to time:eek::eek: Imo it would be worth the couple of minute's walk to Itsa if you're looking to get a bagel, mind you I have never actually tried the American bagel place (if that's even what it's called!).

O'Briens always seems pretty busy which astounds me. BBs Muffins do a great trade, but that's not too surprising as their muffins are Nyom.

O'Briens always seems pretty busy which astounds me. BBs Muffins do a great trade, but that's not too surprising as their muffins are Nyom.

BB's had/have a half price promotion with all centre staff. I reckon Tesco Head office is keeping them going nicely

BB's had/have a half price promotion with all centre staff. I reckon Tesco Head office is keeping them going nicely

Ah God, now I really wish i worked in the centre (even if my waistline wouldn't thank me for it!)

Are you talking about the bagel and ice cream place on the corner, right above Tesco?

I've had stuff from there and it is pretty good. there is an Asian lady in there who knocks up a pretty good bagel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sgt.bilko wrote: »

Passed it last night. Long gone.

I see a number of shops empty, but good to see Marks Models with another customer in it when I stopped by ;)

there looks to be a new crepe place opening up beside the Marine Road entance?? Fingers crossed they do well and stay open!

• Advertisement

there looks to be a new crepe place opening up beside the Marine Road entance?? Fingers crossed they do well and stay open!

finally, that was revamped months ago and looked to be on the verge of opening several times.

This is the one outside, beside the heavenly goodness of whatever its called?

finally, that was revamped months ago and looked to be on the verge of opening several times.

Yeah I think so! Will try and remember to check it out today when I'm passing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

La Petite Creperie (The Little Crapper?! :D )

I will eat my shoes if that place survives and does good trade. (Best of luck to them BTW!)

Dyflin wrote: »
    La Petite Creperie (The Little Crapper?! :D )

I will eat my shoes if that place survives and does good trade. (Best of luck to them BTW!)

if its decent prices i think it could do quite well. Served quick and you can walk around with them.

Not the best location though. That area behind the busstop is always filthy and the steps and barrier should be removed and all levelled out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Have they not just replaced a coffee shop that closed recently Or is that next door?

Have they not just replaced a coffee shop that closed recently Or is that next door?

Yes they have replaces the coffee shop (heavenly or manna or something?? which seemd to be closed half the time anyway!) rather than moving into the empty unit beside it. It looks nice and I also think it could do well e.g. people popping in to get a takeaway crepe whilst waiting on a bus etc. / heading to the DART.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Interestingly enough, there is a new stand paying cash for gold just outside Tesco in DLSC. They have a sign outside saying 'Discreet Service' when it actally couldn't be any less discreet. :confused:..
    Anything but descrete, that part of the shopping Ctr is riddled with CCTV since ite recent upgrade. :rolleyes:

The shop front is also very tacky looking and the advertisement for it sounds like something from Harvy Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jtrred

if its decent prices i think it could do quite well. Served quick and you can walk around with them.
    just had crepes in there with the kids. Good prices and very tasty! All good. Friendly staff and (according to my wife) cute French guy.

I'll be back... like a nice crepe, I do..

Good to know jtred! Sick of overpaying in lemon and the likes, when I feel like a crepe :)

• Advertisement

you just can't beat a good crepe :D

Advertisement