Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget gone, another shop to be left idle in Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Tried out the Crepe place yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Tis about €3.50 for a basic crepe and €4-€4.50 for the more substantial ones, which is decent enough price-wise. They certainly have some nice savoury options around the €4 mark, which is cheaper than the likes of lemon. The staff that served me were nice / friendly too, which is always a plus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Tried out the Crepe place yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Tis about €3.50 for a basic crepe and €4-€4.50 for the more substantial ones, which is decent enough price-wise. They certainly have some nice savoury options around the €4 mark, which is cheaper than the likes of lemon. The staff that served me were nice / friendly too, which is always a plus :)

Sounds like they could teach some of their neighbours (Centra) a thing or two. No excuse for rude or depressed looking staff!! :p

I'll have to try 'em out during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The only thing that will get Dun Laoghaire moving again is free car parking. They have killed the golden goose!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

homer911 wrote: »
    The only thing that will get Dun Laoghaire moving again is free car parking. They have killed the golden goose!

bit out of the way but the west pier carpark is €3 all day weekdays and free after 7 and weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bit out of the way but the west pier carpark is €3 all day weekdays and free after 7 and weekends

oh, where is that? And is it safe to leave a car all day?

Also, is the car park in Eden Park and the one in Clarinda park €5 a day?

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    oh, where is that? And is it safe to leave a car all day?

Also, is the car park in Eden Park and the one in Clarinda park €5 a day?

down towards Monkstown near the Purty kitchen. There's a halting site ajoining the car park. But apparently there's some old guy who just hangs around all day and watches cars there.

down towards Monkstown near the Purty kitchen. There's a halting site ajoining the car park. But apparently there's some old guy who just hangs around all day and watches cars there.

Thanks its a bit far from work to make it worthwhile parking there,

Does anyone know if Eden park, beside Glasthule Dart station or Clarinda park are still and will remain €5 a day throughout the year?

draffodx wrote: »
    Thanks its a bit far from work to make it worthwhile parking there,

Does anyone know if Eden park, beside Glasthule Dart station or Clarinda park are still and will remain €5 a day throughout the year?

:confused:

Did you not just move to DL and work there now, why need to drive?

:confused:

Did you not just move to DL and work there now, why need to drive?

I did, moved to monkstown/seapoint and I get the dart in and out for work, but I'd like to drive in on a Friday morning and park near work so that I can head straight home to Slane on Friday evening rather than having to go back to the flat.

ah, i see. makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The card shop in the basement (not the newsagents/cardshop) was locked up today, another victim of the downturn?

they are working on the vacant shop beside La Petite Creperie so hopefully something new will be opening up soon :)

Another shop bites the dust :( The handbag / accessory shop beside the Fuji shop and opposite the stairs at the far entrance on Georges St.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Coffee shop in DL harbour, closed for good. :rolleyes:

Dyflin wrote: »
    Coffee shop in DL harbour, closed for good. :rolleyes:

The entire terminal is not too far behind I'd say :pac:

Was in the shopping centre yesterday, top floor was a ghost town, The camera shop is gone now too on the middle floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Who owns the shopping centre? Is it privately owned or do the council own it?

The council need to step in pretty damn quickly because DL is rapidly becoming a ghost town.

Who owns the shopping centre? Is it privately owned or do the council own it?

The council need to step in pretty damn quickly because DL is rapidly becoming a ghost town.

Privately owned, used to know who but can't remember offhand.
    All they really need to do is get realistic about some of the rents they are looking for. I'm sure plenty of shops would open there if it wass cheaper.

Driving through DL and trying to park is a disaster which I'm sure puts many people off especially when Dundrum and Carrickmines are so accessable. Serious traffic management issues to sort out there to improve them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Privately owned, used to know who but can't remember offhand.
    All they really need to do is get realistic about some of the rents they are looking for. I'm sure plenty of shops would open there if it wass cheaper.

Driving through DL and trying to park is a disaster which I'm sure puts many people off especially when Dundrum and Carrickmines are so accessable. Serious traffic management issues to sort out there to improve them

€2 for the first three hours parking at Dundrum with its array of designers shops etc, or €2.20 per hour at Bloomfields......

€2 for the first three hours parking at Dundrum with its array of designers shops etc, or €2.20 per hour at Bloomfields......

That pretty much says it all, Drogheda and Dundalk both offer much more than Dun Laoghaire does but with parking only €1.20 and hour, both are much easier to get around than Dun Laoghaire and both offer better town parking.

When moving up here I thought I'd have much more choice of shops and stuff close by but it turns out I have less!

€2 for first three hours parking in DL shopping centre, so they are competing on that level at least, it was very popular at christmas I heard.

I see that the dodgy chinese style shop Pagoda on the top floor is having a closing down sale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

O'Connor Clothing on Georges Street Level seems to be closed too. I passed on Friday and the shutters were down and the unit looked empty?? :eek:

DLSC must be one of the worst affected centres in the country.. It seems like such a wasted opportunity - the selection of shops is awful. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lizzie09

Is there no way some one can put a stop to the outrageous parking
    charges in DLR? Shopping centre 2e at the moment for 3hrs but back to
    normal after January,...just not encouraging to drive into the town.

lizzie09 wrote: »
    Is there no way some one can put a stop to the outrageous parking
    charges in DLR? Shopping centre 2e at the moment for 3hrs but back to
    normal after January,...just not encouraging to drive into the town.

the harbour is worse, charge 7 days a week. I don't think I've seen anywhere else that charges on street parking on Sunday or until 8 in the evening

And Bloomfields is 2.20 an hour:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

DL shopping centre needs to be knocked and replaced with something that will drag life back up to the town and does it's location justice.

they are working on the vacant shop beside La Petite Creperie so hopefully something new will be opening up soon :)

Oh oh oh it's a fancy patisserie place!

Nyom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

Sad to hear of all those places going, although even in the good years Dun Laoghaire was hardly a boomtown.
    If they end up knocking the shopping centre will they auction the escalator where Georgie Burgess professes his love for Sharon in the Snapper?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd pay for it to be destroyed twice...

Funkstard wrote: »
    DL shopping centre needs to be knocked and replaced with something that will drag life back up to the town and does it's location justice.

There is nothing I know of that will do that any better than the shopping centre is doing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Sad to hear of all those places going, although even in the good years Dun Laoghaire was hardly a boomtown.

My thoughts exactly :pac:

There are a few useful chains in dun laoghaire that you get in other places like town-tesco, argos, dunnes etc but for the most part the area is pretty much a dump. One store in particular- that computer store just off the side street off easons was a major rip off-anyone know if that place is still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly :pac:

There are a few useful chains in dun laoghaire that you get in other places like town-tesco, argos, dunnes etc but for the most part the area is pretty much a dump. One store in particular- that computer store just off the side street off easons was a major rip off-anyone know if that place is still open?

Suprisingly yes! Why on earth anyone would shop there is beyond me! :eek:
    At least the town still has a couple of decent independant retailers about, Mikes bikes for one and...and ummmm.....a couple of book shops! And not forgetting the 5euro Polski barber, bargain! :D

Advertisement