Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget gone, another shop to be left idle in Dunlaoghaire Shopping Ctr.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Adams in the main shopping centre closing down soon. That new pub Smiths also seems to have closed it`s doors barely a few months after opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Spectra,O'Connors and Budget Travel gone as well starting to look like a ghost town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Dub. wrote: »
    Adams in the main shopping centre closing down soon. That new pub Smiths also seems to have closed it`s doors barely a few months after opening.

You serious?? Mind you Adams seen to have been having sales for months. I wonder what kind of shop could do well there?

I did notice Burger King are actually expanding! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Longerview

Dunnes stores grocery in Dun Laoghaire are closing down from today !!!! Just saw notice in window. Anyone one know why ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Hughes and Hughes Bookshop on Marine Road are gone as of today, one of the best shops in the town with a good coffee shop built in. I think the town is rapidly going down the plughole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You serious?? Mind you Adams seen to have been having sales for months. I wonder what kind of shop could do well there?

Adams was one of the first chains to go into administration right at the start of the recession. Have been just selling off the stock since as far as I was aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jpfahy wrote: »
    Hughes and Hughes Bookshop on Marine Road are gone as of today, one of the best shops in the town with a good coffee shop built in. I think the town is rapidly going down the plughole
    In Ennis the coffee shop is still opened, seperate entrance, I would guess its down to security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

In Ennis the coffee shop is still opened, seperate entrance, I would guess its down to security.

The coffee shop in Dun Laoghaire is upstairs, only accessible through the bookshop :(

jpfahy wrote: »
    The coffee shop in Dun Laoghaire is upstairs, only accessible through the bookshop :(
    I gathered that, saw the place shut with the Ulster Bank death notice on the window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Heard a rumour that Dunnes grocery would be moving into the vacant lots beside the drapary part...not sure though, surely they would have kept the other one open until then.

Dun Laoghaire has officially been Tescopolised! Not happy!

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »

Dun Laoghaire has officially been Tescopolised! Not happy!

Tesco are going to pull out of the old shopping centre as soon as the lease is up.

Head office there also takes up a lot less space than it used to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

crushproof wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that Dunnes grocery would be moving into the vacant lots beside the drapary part...not sure though, surely they would have kept the other one open until then.
    Yeah Dunnes own all the shops around the Dunnes clothes shop bar one and there is a huge plan to put in a new grocery store in the basement of those buildings.

Another store left vacant.

Adams Children's Wear Ltd, righthand side as you enter the main front door.

Pagoda not far behind it, having closing down sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Pagoda not far behind it, having closing down sale

Any info as to when the whole shopping centre will close??:eek:

xia wrote: »
    Any info as to when the whole shopping centre will close??:eek:

Last out please turn off the lights. :p

Thursday night Tesco was closed at seven sharp, not too long ago the center would be buzzing right up until 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lizzie09

Seems the Adams shop is now closed in the shopping centre D/laoire:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They left Stillorgan SC ages ago. I don't think they are making that much money. Do they still have their shop in the Frascati shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Nope. The one in the Frascati is gone too.

• Advertisement

I LA Style closed and Pagoda on the way out on the upper floor.

How long more Will it be before we see the shopping ctr open as a Sunday market venue with temporary stalls. :D

Pagoda clearing all stock now and Motion Picture looks like it is also abandoning ship. I was chatting to a staff member, it looks like they will be relocating pending on renewal of lease conditions. They say the current rent is unsustainable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pagoda has been "closing down" for well over a year at this stage. I see a new costume shop has opened where Budget used to be. Well timed with Halloween on the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

On the flip side I see "3" are opening on Lower Georges Street.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    On the flip side I see "3" are opening on Lower Georges Street.
    About time, I hated having to go into town every time I had a problem. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

From a planning perspective the whole town centre is just horrible designed. They have a new idea in the county development plan to sort of knock the shopping centre in the Marine Road side and create a sort of cloisters idea and narrow Marine Road itself to traffic....don't think it'll halt the flow of shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Budget Travel unit is now occupied by a rather festive looking Party Mór..

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Budget Travel unit is now occupied by a rather festive looking Party Mór..

Good stuff.

Yes - great to see. And another 'fashion' store has now moved into the Hallmark shop opposite Mick Doyle's nyommy butchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Was in DL last weekend, first visit in quite a while.

Have to say the place looks tatty - wtf happened to the pedestrianised area? Did they lay all those tiles on it a few years ago then decide to rip them all up again and slap it over with tarmac? Seems to be a small one way stretch of road now? Bizarre! Main Street looks like something out of a third world country to be honest. Local planners/county councillors should be quizzed over this - what a waste of money!!

The shopping centre has been dying for years and despite the recent makeover place looks deader and deader every visit. Shame to see Hughes and Hughes go, but hopped into the new Easons on the same site - seemed a bit pricier than the Hughes and Hughes to me? Always had a preference for shopping in the one on the top floor of the shopping centre anyways :)

Like the way the DART line is being covered over, should open up that area nicely - has there been any movement at all on sorting out the old baths? Seems like a no brainer to me in the current economic climate - knock the damn things down and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Yes - great to see. And another 'fashion' store has now moved into the Hallmark shop opposite Mick Doyle's nyommy butchers!

Didn't spot that one.. Good work! :)

Advertisement