Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online masters leading to phD

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

So I have a degree in computer science, I got a 2.2.

I want to go back to University but most require a 2.1, especially where I'm living at the moment, Universities requires a good GPA.

Are online masters (Open Uni etc) held in good regard ?

Can anyone make some suggestions other then the Open Uni ?

Or would there be other options available to me ?

Example, I have a pass (Level 7) and honours (level 8) degree. Would it be possible to go do an online course and do another level 8 degree add-on to my level 7 degree ?

My long term goal is to get back into University doing my pHD. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fergus08

I did a masters with the OU and I'm currently reading for a PhD at a, highly regarded, Irish university. So, the message is: don't worry too much about perceptions of the OU. Most academics can suss out a good university/department from an ordinary one or a poor one. The OU is highly regarded in the UK (many academics have OU primary degrees, some teaching in Cambridge and Oxford) and it's getting better regarded here.

One thing you need to understand about the OU is that many academics have taught OU courses early in their careers as a useful income supplement before they got their permanent post. Consequently, they're fully aware of how demanding OU study is and the high standards for nearly all OU courses.

My advice would be: a) do a masters with the OU; b) study like f**k and get the best possible mark and, c) start inquiring about PhD study in your last year with the OU.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

+1

The OU used to be the butt of jokes, but that was a generation ago. As a senior HR guy in MNCs, I would have a high regard for OU degrees in general.
    Before you commit yourself, it would do no harm to go and talk to the course directors of the courses you're interested in. Often faculty are more flexible than you'd think. 'Phd track' may be an option, where theres a mile stone at end of year one requiring submission of part of your Phd and if passed, you continue. Either way, talking to faculty will throw up possibilities you may not be aware of.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Also having a 2.2 doesnt rule you out of studying at brick and morter. They'd just prefer you have at least a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fergus08

+1

Also, many universities run "masters qualifiers" which allow you to take a range of courses and if you get over, for example, 60% you can then proceed to MA/MSc level.

There are lots of options for someone with a 2.2 who wants to go further. It'll take a bit longer, but it's doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

Hi,

Has anyone done this course with the OU?

Postgraduate Diploma in Management of Software Projects

How does it compare to other project management courses?

You can go on to do an MSC in it also.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 socratesfemale

Hi
    Would you recommend OU for a course?

They are reliable and offer good support? any advice would be helpful>

Thanks

Advertisement