Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Top 20 Pound for Pound

• 27-11-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

With another six pages torn from the calendar, it is time again to reassess the progress boxers of the Emerald Isle have been making. Over the last six months Irish boxing has certainly been subjected to the high highs and low lows that our beloved pugilistic arts can deliver. We gained two new European champions in Matthew Macklin and Paul McCloskey but lost the world title belonging to Bernard Dunne and, more significantly, there was the tragic passing of Darren Sutherland.

........more here

1. Bernard Dunne - 28-2 (15 KO) Super bantamweight

2. Paul McCloskey - 20-0 (10 KO) Light welterweight
    European light welterweight champion

3. Matthew Macklin - 25-2 (18 KO) Middleweight
    European middleweight champion

4. Martin Lindsay - 15-0 (6 KO) Featherweight
    British featherweight champion

5. Andy Lee - 20-1 (14 KO) Super middleweight
    Irish super middleweight champion

6. John Duddy - 27-1 (17 KO) Middleweight

7. Andrew Murray - 16-0 (8 KO) Lightweight
    European Union and Irish lightweight champion

8. Brian Magee - 32-3-1 (22 KO) Super middleweight

9. John O'Donnell - 22-1 (10 KO) Welterweight
    Commonwealth welterweight champion

10. Martin Rogan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Read the article yesterday. Excellent read. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

f1dan wrote: »
    Read the article yesterday. Excellent read. Keep up the good work!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

With another six pages torn from the calendar, it is time again to reassess the progress boxers of the Emerald Isle have been making. Over the last six months Irish boxing has certainly been subjected to the high highs and low lows that our beloved pugilistic arts can deliver. We gained two new European champions in Matthew Macklin and Paul McCloskey but lost the world title belonging to Bernard Dunne and, more significantly, there was the tragic passing of Darren Sutherland.

........more here

1. Bernard Dunne - 28-2 (15 KO) Super bantamweight

2. Paul McCloskey - 20-0 (10 KO) Light welterweight
    European light welterweight champion

3. Matthew Macklin - 25-2 (18 KO) Middleweight
    European middleweight champion

4. Martin Lindsay - 15-0 (6 KO) Featherweight
    British featherweight champion

5. Andy Lee - 20-1 (14 KO) Super middleweight
    Irish super middleweight champion

6. John Duddy - 27-1 (17 KO) Middleweight

7. Andrew Murray - 16-0 (8 KO) Lightweight
    European Union and Irish lightweight champion

8. Brian Magee - 32-3-1 (22 KO) Super middleweight

9. John O'Donnell - 22-1 (10 KO) Welterweight
    Commonwealth welterweight champion

10. Martin Rogan

What about Jim Rock

4 weight irish champion, current light heavy and thought he had either middle or supermiddle as well

drzhivago wrote: »
    What about Jim Rock

4 weight irish champion, current light heavy and thought he had either middle or supermiddle as well

Scroll to the bottom of the article. Rock is out of the list due to retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭cppromotions

Good stats

I would have Rogan ahead of Murray, rogan has beaten much better opposition and when you think of it he has also beaten better opposition than Lee and Duddy he was british and Commonwealth champion as well as prizefighter champion i would put him Just under Mccloskey i would also have Patrick Hyland in the top 10 ahead of Murray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

drzhivago wrote: »
    What about Jim Rock

did you read the article brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Good stats

I would have Rogan ahead of Murray, rogan has beaten much better opposition and when you think of it he has also beaten better opposition than Lee and Duddy he was british and Commonwealth champion as well as prizefighter champion i would put him Just under Mccloskey i would also have Patrick Hyland in the top 10 ahead of Murray

he wasnt british champion but by right he would have been euro champ. some guys fighting for vacant euro belts now arent as deserving as rogan was. pity. he is coming off 2 losses now though but id imagine would have been rated very highly before hand.

Good stats

two defeats in a row to an extremely limited and raw Sexton (however the excuses) put previous victories into perspective.

Hyland hasnt fought anyone decent yet, he is by far the best of the brothers but Murrays title is far more meaningful than the bauble that Hyland has and Murrays wins over Rasilla, McDonagh and DeJesus are better than anything Padge has faced so far.

joepenguin wrote: »
    he wasnt british champion but by right he would have been euro champ. some guys fighting for vacant euro belts now arent as deserving as rogan was. pity. he is coming off 2 losses now though but id imagine would have been rated very highly before hand.

he was - he was six places higher before his two defeats.

Hyland hasnt fought anyone decent yet, he is by far the best of the brothers but Hylands title is far more meaningful than the bauble that Hyland has and Murrays wins over Rasilla, McDonagh and DeJesus are better than anything Padge has faced so far.

:confused:

Murray?

• Advertisement

good point

good point

its all opinions afterall a chara.

I just like to keep this list so that we can chart progress. I've been doing the list for the best of three years now and its starting to get to the point where I am happy with its accuracy.

Hats off to all Fighters takes guts to step between those ropes .

What Irish fighters do you think have the Potential to be a World champ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How is Paul McCloskey not no.1. Imo he is far and away the best pound for pound Irish fighter.

eagle eye wrote: »
    How is Paul McCloskey not no.1. Imo he is far and away the best pound for pound Irish fighter.

who has McCloskey beaten that is better (or even equal) to Cordoba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodgrigez

Good article:)

Though I think it wont be long before NO. 11 Patrick Hyland is up in the top 3 or top 5 at least. Watch this space;)

Rodgrigez wrote: »
    Good article:)

Though I think it wont be long before NO. 11 Patrick Hyland is up in the top 3 or top 5 at least. Watch this space;)

he will have to beat someone of note first!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

f1dan wrote: »
    :confused:

Murray?

Murray yeah. The quote somehow ended up wrong in the requote it seems....
    Hyland hasnt fought anyone decent yet, he is by far the best of the brothers but Murrays title is far more meaningful than the bauble that Hyland has and Murrays wins over Rasilla, McDonagh and DeJesus are better than anything Padge has faced so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BDF

eagle eye wrote: »

He's not better than Dunne, the only thing he has over Dunne is his chin but with the way he fights he looks like a knockout waiting to happen.

• Advertisement

he will have to beat someone of note first!! ;)

Agreed;) But he will and he'll be up there soon enough... 2010 watch out. He's sparred Paul Appleby who Martin Lindsey beat for the British title who is a very good boxer, and by all accounts Patrick Hyland murdered him. I know people are gonna say its only sparring but its an indication;)

Agreed;) But he will and he'll be up there soon enough... 2010 watch out. He's sparred Paul Appleby who Martin Lindsey beat for the British title who is a very good boxer, and by all accounts Patrick Hyland murdered him. I know people are gonna say its only sparring but its an indication;)

Who's accounts? Patrick's? :D

BDF wrote: »
    Who's accounts? Patrick's? :D

It doesn't matter who's account. Patrick is one of the top Irish fighters at the moment, arguably the best up and coming fighter in this country:)

Lets face it when Dunne was 18-0 who had he fought:confused:

Dunne deserves to be number 1, former european and World champion and can be champ again lets face facts he has a weak chin but that is just his body structure and there is nothing can be done to change that fact but he has great skill and has a big heart so good luck to Bernard for the future,
    Patrick Hyland if he is guided right as i believe he is his father works his ass off for those boys plus they train with Tracey Patterson and Bernardo Checa they have great management team , anyway as i was saying if he is brought along right he has the potential to be one of Irelands all time Greats.I have seen him fight on 3 occasions and he is getting better each fight.

It doesn't matter who's account. Patrick is one of the top Irish fighters at the moment, arguably the best up and coming fighter in this country:)

Lets face it when Dunne was 18-0 who had he fought:confused:

Hey I agree Patrick is a very good fighter but I wouldn't believe half the stories I hear about sparring unless I've seen it myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

did you read the article brother?

hands up protecting myself
    I didnt
    was reading late and didnt see the link while on laptop in bed
    Apologies one and all

Advertisement