Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting a website to be pasword protected

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just deployed a pretty complex website for UAT and I'd like to password protect the Homepage. I don't mean a membership login, just some way of asking a vistitor to enter a password before letting them view the page. I'd imagine its a setting in the webhost control panel (I'm using Plesk). Any suggestions as to how I'd do this?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Are you using Apache web server? - if so, you simply use htaccess files along with a passwd file. This is probably the most straight forward and secure way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Are you using Apache web server? - if so, you simply use htaccess files along with a passwd file. This is probably the most straight forward and secure way.

Hi Webmonkey, thanks for the reply. No it's not Apache, it's running ASP.net

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Have you asked your hosting provider?
    It might be in their Knowledge Base.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is this any good?

How do I password-protect a web page using ASP.NET?

Edit - looks like that requires a custom page to be written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

daymobrew wrote: »
    Have you asked your hosting provider?
    It might be in their Knowledge Base.

No not yet, said I'd ask here first as I'd get a reply faster!
    eoin wrote: »
    Is this any good?

How do I password-protect a web page using ASP.NET?

Edit - looks like that requires a custom page to be written.

I'd rather avoid something like this, but if its the only way I guess I'll have to. Its surprising that ASP.net doesnt provide for something like this like PHP does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Is this helpful? other than that you'll need find out how to password a virtual directory in IIS (which is what is running Asp.net for you). Your asp.net app runs in its own virtual directory. Dunno how to do that in plesk.

Advertisement