Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel advice

• 27-11-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Folks,
    Have to go to Galway tonight, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a way to avoid the road closure near Ardrahan. Traffic is currently being directed to Loughrea and on to the N6. Does anyone know the back roads around Gort/Ardrahan? It would save me a lot of time and hassle.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Stick to the detour, go via loughrea. Most of the roads around Gort are flooded. I got stuck in one yesterday. Its better to stay to the detour unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To be honest I'd stick with the main roads, with the amount of damage done to the roads you could end up stuck somewhere especially on some of the back roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Left Ennis yesterday at about 5pm, didn't hit Galway until 8. Was stuck in traffic for a whole hour in Loughrea... not the most fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

simple stay at home the delays are mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

I live 10 minutes outside Grot (Gort) on the Ennis side. Any business I ever had I made it my business for it to be in Limerick.
    You'd want to be mental to want to go to Galway, horrible road full of morons, grannies, fat yank tourists who never drove "stick" before, not to mention on the wrong side of the car and the road.
    Farmers, horseboxes, heavy transports, old b*startds deliberately doing 60 km/h (de de facto maximum speed on that road anyways), the entire population of a mental hospital (like the old b*stards, but chewing gum without chewing gum, i.e. "mad mouth"), boyracers and pissed of execs and reps racing each other on the space of road not taken up by traffic going your way or coming against, cattle, sheep, more trucks, more trailers, livestock transports, roadworks, sh*thole towns, HUGE f*cking potholes that have wrecked every alloy wheel in the country, rain (of course), and (my favourite),b*stards DELIBERATELY pulling out 50 meters in front of you when your doing 100 km/h and they want to hold you up doing about 35,

-Aside: The next b*stard that does that to me will be T-Boned, sent to hospital, taken to court, sued for dangerous driving, their licence taken, their car written off and every penny I can possibly squeeze out of them with a good solicitor will be taken. And I've got patience and time to draw this out for as long as possible. And the maximum amount. And I won't settle.
    Except maybe for a pound of flesh...

Grannies in Micras, young girls in Micras (the grannies of tomorrow), and pretty much anyone else.
    Rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

..., old b*startds deliberately doing 60 km/h (de de facto maximum speed on that road anyways), ...when your doing 100 km/h and they want to hold you up doing about 35,

-Aside: The next b*stard that does that to me will be T-Boned, sent to hospital, taken to court, sued for dangerous driving, their licence taken, their car written off and every penny I can possibly squeeze out of them with a good solicitor will be taken. And I've got patience and time to draw this out for as long as possible. And the maximum amount. And I won't settle.

Wow, someone is really pi**ed off!

Good luck with the court case: Judge, I'm driving 100 km/h on a road with a speed limit of 60 km/h. And what are these culchies doing? They actually stick to it! That's despicable, don't you think? :D:D:D

palaver wrote: »
    Wow, someone is really pi**ed off!

Good luck with the court case: Judge, I'm driving 100 km/h on a road with a speed limit of 60 km/h. And what are these culchies doing? They actually stick to it! That's despicable, don't you think? :D:D:D

What I'm saying is that the actual speed limit is 100 km/h. It's just that the auld farmer who never took a test is unwilling or incapable of exceeding 60 km/h whilst pulling out on people and driving in the middle of the road to make sure no one gets past him.
    So that de facto limits your speed on some or most of Irelands roads to 60 km/h due to old age, incompetence, mental illness, stupidity, medication, stubbornness and just good old fashioned pig headedness in most of the drivers on the road.
    My court case would go very well.
    I was driving down the road at the legal speed limit in good driving conditions when this auld guy saw me coming, pulled out 50 meters ahead of me, I did not have a chance to brake because he pulled straight in my path. Must have been suicidal. Or maybe took a few too many pills and didn't quite know what's going on around him, anyway me neck hurts like a bugger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

I see.
    Apparantly I got it wrong about the actual speed limit. And I certainly do understand your anger in cases like you mentioned. Some of these culchies shouldn't be allowed to drive any vehicle, not even a tractor. They still seem to think that the worst thing is a donkey trotting along the road. Or whatever.

It's not exactly what the OP intended with his question, but road hazards come in many disguises. Speeders are one of them, too, btw. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother with a court case though... The law doesn't change bad driving. It only feeds the lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

I live 10 minutes outside Grot (Gort) on the Ennis side. Any business I ever had I made it my business for it to be in Limerick.
    You'd want to be mental to want to go to Galway, horrible road full of morons, grannies, fat yank tourists who never drove "stick" before, not to mention on the wrong side of the car and the road.
    Farmers, horseboxes, heavy transports, old b*startds deliberately doing 60 km/h (de de facto maximum speed on that road anyways), the entire population of a mental hospital (like the old b*stards, but chewing gum without chewing gum, i.e. "mad mouth"), boyracers and pissed of execs and reps racing each other on the space of road not taken up by traffic going your way or coming against, cattle, sheep, more trucks, more trailers, livestock transports, roadworks, sh*thole towns, HUGE f*cking potholes that have wrecked every alloy wheel in the country, rain (of course), and (my favourite),b*stards DELIBERATELY pulling out 50 meters in front of you when your doing 100 km/h and they want to hold you up doing about 35,

Grannies in Micras, young girls in Micras (the grannies of tomorrow), and pretty much anyone else.
    Rant over...

There are people within a few minutes drive from you whose homes, farms and businesses have been ruined by the floods. Maybe you could take some of that simmering rage of yours and expend it in getting off your self obsessed ar*e and helping out. It might help you grow up a bit.

Teadrinker wrote: »
    There are people within a few minutes drive from you whose homes, farms and businesses have been ruined by the floods. Maybe you could take some of that simmering rage of yours and expend it in getting off your self obsessed ar*e and helping out. It might help you grow up a bit.

You may have a point, but we need a different thread for that altogether.
    Something called "Get up and help floodvicitims"
    This thread has gone off on enough pointless rants anyway...;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement