Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hasbro

• 27-11-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I see 25 more job losses at Hasbro have been announced. Been fighting off the wolves for a number of years, but how long more can they surrvive?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

waz1 wrote: »
    I see 25 more job losses at Hasbro have been announced. Been fighting off the wolves for a number of years, but how long more can they surrvive?
    Sad to see this news. I worked there myself for many years, a great bunch of people there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I worked there too for a summer.

Nice bunch, real waterford people if ya know what I mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ziedth wrote: »
    I worked there too for a summer.

Nice bunch, real waterford people if ya know what I mean.
    Salt of the earth:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Beeker wrote: »
    Salt of the earth:D
    that was the Downfall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

When most other factories in Waterford are on 3 day week, that factory was on full time so it done well. There is a guy living beside me who has worked there for ages and he is married with a child and another on the way. It would be just such a time that he would be let go. He said before that if he was left off that he would get 50k redundancy, but he would have to get a job straight away :eek:. Good luck to him. His father has land and I think its been signed over to him soon, so he would not be as badly affected as his colleagues would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's sad news.

Ryan Tubridy was promoting Hasbro on the Late Late Toy Show tonight and encouraged people to buy irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Worked in hasbro for a couple of years in the nineties, I'm sort of amazed its still going really given the fierce competition from their factory in valencia and far eastern operations.

Have to give credit to the management and workers for running a real lean efficient operation out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Worked in hasbro for a couple of years in the nineties, I'm sort of amazed its still going really given the fierce competition from their factory in valencia and far eastern operations.

Have to give credit to the management and workers for running a real lean efficient operation out there.

They are supposed to have amazing lean manufacturing facilities i remember a few of my lecturers praising it!
    such a shame about the lay offs! will it ever end.....

Clano wrote: »
    They are supposed to have amazing lean manufacturing facilities i remember a few of my lecturers praising it!
    such a shame about the lay offs! will it ever end.....
    A great company to embrace new technology and take on board ideas from the workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

They closed Valencia a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

I worked there one summer while in college, and having spent time before and after working in pharmaceuticals, I couldn't believe how shoddy things were in there. Poorly managed in my opinion.

While I realise that the profits involved in pharma are much higher and they are generally slicker operations, at that time I couldn't see how Hasbro would survive another year but they are still hanging on in there.

Long term though I still maintain that they have no future in Waterford. Cheaper markets will eventually close the facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

another 15 job losses to go with it - centra in railway square

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deisemum wrote: »
    That's sad news.

Ryan Tubridy was promoting Hasbro on the Late Late Toy Show tonight and encouraged people to buy irish.

Ironic thing being that they are not an Irish company they simply have a factory located here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Elbows22 wrote: »
    another 15 job losses to go with it - centra in railway square

Not surprising, they had no parking outside it
    If you parked in Tesco's you'd likely shop in Tesco's and they also have to go up against Centra up by Revolutions.

In addition previously Mace used to be across from Tesco's and that also died a death, which ever person decided to open that Centra was an idiot and obviously failed to do any research.

Sad to see jobs go none the less but it was extremely poorly planned.

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you parked in Tesco's you'd likely shop in Tesco's and they also have to go up against Centra up by Revolutions.

In addition previously Mace used to be across from Tesco's and that also died a death, which ever person decided to open that Centra was an idiot and obviously failed to do any research.

Id say they were trying to tap into the apartments above and that.
    But i wouldnt even say all them apartments are filled and with penneys finishing up after christmas itl only get worse.
    Stupid planning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cabaal wrote: »

But then they probably assumed Railway square wouldn't be the empty shell it is, they probably assumed a bit of buzz and foot traffic around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

But i wouldnt even say all them apartments are filled and with penneys finishing up after christmas itl only get worse.
    Stupid planning

With Centra and Penneys gone, there'll be nothing of note there, so why doesn't someone with a bit of money purchase a TGI Fridays or Bennigans (or whatever) franchise and put a restaurant there? There's no competition nearby, and with the cinema still popular, they could link up and have those meal & film deals like Mahon Point does.

Waterford is crying out for an informal restaurant like that!

gscully wrote: »
    With Centra and Penneys gone, there'll be nothing of note there, so why doesn't someone with a bit of money purchase a TGI Fridays or Bennigans (or whatever) franchise and put a restaurant there? There's no competition nearby, and with the cinema still popular, they could link up and have those meal & film deals like Mahon Point does.

Waterford is crying out for an informal restaurant like that!

Hard rock cafe or soething would be deadly!!! Would be ideal aswell with the car parks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Stupid planning

The lad who signed the lease was sacked surprisingly enough :pac:
    Centra in railway square was owned by Musgraves so thats probably why it lasted so long - bit of money behind it.
    From the start it was always going to be a bad idea but the units were expected to fill up - pizza hut, tk maxx etc but unfortunatly never happened.
    The best attempt was made of a bad situation but unfortunatly thats the way it goes!!!
    Had been a pleasure working there!!!:)

Advertisement