Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Virgin to trial DPI

• 27-11-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/26/virgin_media_detica/
    Virgin Media will trial deep packet inspection technology to measure the level of illegal filesharing on its network, but plans not to tell the customers whose traffic will be examined

Expect more ISPs to roll this out in the background without telling anyone. SSL is the way forward now.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

and VPN's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Macros42 wrote: »
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/26/virgin_media_detica/

Expect more ISPs to roll this out in the background without telling anyone. SSL is the way forward now.

Agreed but in all fairness would this not cost eircon and other irish isp's extra money to enforce-not to mention alienate their customers somewhat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Cabaal wrote: »
    and VPN's :)

Unfortunately, UPC disallow residential users from using VPNs at the threat of disconnection.

Indeed, SSL will become more prevalent, its already implemented on newsgroup and torrent apps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Donny5 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, UPC disallow residential users from using VPNs at the threat of disconnection.

This was discussed before, UPC don't support VPN's, but they don't ban them. Unless you've got a link for a sudden policy change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Donny5 wrote: »

Nonsense I use one all the time.... Most teleworkers use VPNs to connect to there offices so banning them wouldn't be clever now would it? ;)

I'm pretty concerned about DPI and how it can be abused, be it for censorship or otherwise.... I mean this can be used to redirect you to other websites and all sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

LoGiE wrote: »
    Nonsense I use one all the time.... Most teleworkers use VPNs to connect to there offices so banning them wouldn't be clever now would it? ;)

I'm pretty concerned about DPI and how it can be abused, be it for censorship or otherwise.... I mean this can be used to redirect you to other websites and all sorts.

Nonsense, I'm sure, but quite a while back, their customer support asked me to cease using Relakks and pointed me towards their Acceptable Usage Policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

hmmm

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/
    Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems with our network and other Internet users.
    Does that mean as a residential customer I cannot use it to VPN to work - and if I do I can be ordered to stop? What I think that has to refer to is small businesses using a residential account and setting up a VPN service for their staff. Not residential users connecting to a VPN.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Macros42 wrote: »
    Does that mean as a residential customer I cannot use it to VPN to work - and if I do I can be ordered to stop? What I think that has to refer to is small businesses using a residential account and setting up a VPN service for their staff. Not residential users connecting to a VPN.

They don't enforce it, I use to use VPN to work every day on UPC and lots of my colleagues in work continue to do so.

Advertisement