Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel 07 - Graph Problems

• 27-11-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

I'm having horrible bother with excel 07 trying to plot one set of numbers against another. How do I get it to do this, it keeps plotting the two sets of data as two different lines on the one axis rather than setting each set of datas each to their own axis if you get me?
    i.e. instead of getting one curve on a graph I am getting a curve and a line, each seperate.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

To avoid confusion, my understanding of your situation is this:
    You have two columns of data in Excel 07.
    You want to plot them such that one column is your Y axis and the other the X axis.
    You've done this somehow but are not getting the right output.

If this is the case, I think you've used the wrong chart. With your data in the spreadsheet, go to Insert, then highlight "Other Charts" and select "All Chart Types". I reckon you need an X Y scatter chart - Smooth Lines With Markers will probably do the trick, but play around.

If this isn't what you mean or you've already tried this, post up screenshots and/or more info on what you've tried and what's going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

When I go to add data to the graph, instead of asking me for data to put on the X axis and Y axis, it asks for series name and series value and then plots this with the x axis going up numerically from one to the number of data points I can do this with my eyes closed in the old excel, going mad here:mad:
    Picture one is where I'm going to add data.
    Picture two is what I'm getting, I'd be expecting here one area to insert data for the X axis and another for the Y axis...
    Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Simona1986 wrote: »
    When I go to add data to the graph, instead of asking me for data to put on the X axis and Y axis, it asks for series name and series value and then plots this with the x axis going up numerically from one to the number of data points I can do this with my eyes closed in the old excel, going mad here:mad:

To get to the bottom of the problem, we need to understand what you're doing. It would help a lot if you were to post up either screenshots of what you're getting or the process you're following as a series of steps.

For example, the process I've just used now is:
    • In columns A & B I enter the values I want to use.
    • Once the data is entered, highlight it, then go to the Insert tab.
    • Within the tab, I use the Chart area, and select the Chart I want - in this case, the X-Y Scatter With Smooth Lines chart. The default option is to use the first column of data as your X-axis and the second column as your Y-axis.

Those steps get me the attached graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hmm, I managed to get sorted by making the graph in older excell on my friends pc and pasting it onto mine.
    Picture 3 is how it should look.
    Picture 4 is what kept happening to me, just the x-axis was not allowing me to assign a scale to it.
    Can't see where I was going wrong, thanks for the help anyway.

Advertisement