Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Kenny and his Friday 11:55 canapes.

• 27-11-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

Can somebody explain to me the reason why Pat Kenny has a 2-3 minute segment every Friday where he gets to indulge in some gastronomic delights?

Today we had Pat enthusiastically sampling some canapés hot on the discussion of the clerical abuse story. It's such a bizarrely out of place, unnecessary segment. Not to mention incredibly irritating - made all the worse by the woman’s accent.

What value is there for the listener in this segment, what are we supposed to gain from these 2-3 minutes? It just seems to be a flimsy pretext for Pat to fill his face.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah I've always found this very odd as well. And I also agree about yer wan's accent. Seems hardly worth the effort.. Always annoys me as the Friday gathering is usually getting interesting when they wheel her in to interrupt everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

It bothers me how they call it The Gathering as if the peasentry huddle around the radio waiting for the pronouncements of our Wise Elders like Terry Prone et al., or is that just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think it's funny - yer wan sounds a bit bonkers, but in a good way. The grub always sounds nice, even though I've never tried to cook any of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I like the segment too. Winds the week up nicely for him. Simple, short and a bit irreverant. Her voice always reminds me of a character that was in The Fast Show back in the 90's. A South African woman working in a perfume shop selling scents called such things as Joan Collins Snatch.

Never tried any of her recipes either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not to mention incredibly irritating - made all the worse by the woman’s accent.
    Yup, that AQI accent has me reaching for the off switch every Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D She doz mai brain iiiiiin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

+ 1 my Friend...really dreadful...couldnt turn orf the radio as i was havin bit of a road rage incident with some scummer who tried to cut me up at the new interchange near the Airport.

Cut him right back ..so I did....anyways..

Was there some other bell voiced bint on a discussion group earlier on the Kenny show to-day...Sonia Lennon ?? Oh dear ! loud shrill an with a dreadful D4 type accent.?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    :D She doz mai brain iiiiiin
    Nah, She doz ya brain iiiiiin???

this is the one I was thinking of. Jayzuz the internet's the biz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNSjd3F-Xw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's the drooling that gets me... Not over the food, but over this attractive young woman who's strolled into Studio One bearing food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

actually the problem I have with the slot, is that, in these economic times, why have some bird from Southern Africa on the slot, when the country is just bursting with young Irish energetic chefs and cooks who could do it just as well ? - in urgent times we need to support our own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I don't mind it. Its a bit pretentious, but then again...so is Pat.

Stylo wrote: »
    actually the problem I have with the slot, is that, in these economic times, why have some bird from Southern Africa on the slot, when the country is just bursting with young Irish energetic chefs and cooks who could do it just as well ? - in urgent times we need to support our own

Really? You really think that'll make a difference?
    Jayzuz if anything I think the lack of foreign representation in relation to the amount of people that moved here over the last few years has been pathetic and really rather rank on the part of the national broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Can somebody explain to me the reason why Pat Kenny has a 2-3 minute segment every Friday where he gets to indulge in some gastronomic delights?

Jeas! 2-3 mins - it seems like more half hour to me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

I wonder do you think that SA should also ban John Robbie from broadcasting there?

Am I the only one to find such racist comments laughable, as if Irish Radio should only have pure and unsulllied irish voices? How about boards.ie? Do you also think that only pure and unsullied irish folks should be allowed to add to the message boards here too?

"One of our own" is such a ridiculous expression when its meant to mean " sure begorrah aren't we all irish and special and wonderful and lets keep the foreigners out"

Personally I think the slot on the radio is stupid, but the girl who does it is "one of our own" as in she is a human being.

I wonder do you think that SA should also ban John Robbie from broadcasting there?

Am I the only one to find such racist comments laughable, as if Irish Radio should only have pure and unsulllied irish voices? How about boards.ie? Do you also think that only pure and unsullied irish folks should be allowed to add to the message boards here too?

"One of our own" is such a ridiculous expression when its meant to mean " sure begorrah aren't we all irish and special and wonderful and lets keep the foreigners out"

Personally I think the slot on the radio is stupid, but the girl who does it is "one of our own" as in she is a human being.

lets not go down this road too far lads.

John Robbie has achieved a world wide reputation as an outstanding rugby player and now radio host - this lady from Sth Africa is no doubt intending on doing the same, if she can - but she is a long way from that status so far.

People, especially our short sighted politicans, have been looking for an Irish Indigenous industry that we can promote ourselves, and not be reliant on the outside world for - and one of these industries I believe that we CAN actually do this in, is our food industry - and so, with a plethora of cooks and chefs (who are on the same level, if not higher, than this lady), MIGHT deserve a shot at doing something like this.

I've absolutely nothing against this lady, nor indeed any foreign voices on the air, but as a fairly regular listener, she does also promote a lot of South African cooking and ingredients, which, going against myself, does broaden our horizons

I'm not anti the world, I'm just pro Irish

ok - point made and counterpoint made. The "racism" aspect of the discussion is now over, one way or the other.

John Robbie has achieved a world wide reputation as an outstanding rugby player and now radio host - this lady from Sth Africa is no doubt intending on doing the same, if she can - but she is a long way from that status so far.

People, especially our short sighted politicans, have been looking for an Irish Indigenous industry that we can promote ourselves, and not be reliant on the outside world for - and one of these industries I believe that we CAN actually do this in, is our food industry - and so, with a plethora of cooks and chefs (who are on the same level, if not higher, than this lady), MIGHT deserve a shot at doing something like this.

I've absolutely nothing against this lady, nor indeed any foreign voices on the air, but as a fairly regular listener, she does also promote a lot of South African cooking and ingredients, which, going against myself, does broaden our horizons

I'm not anti the world, I'm just pro Irish

Sorry if I over reacted to your original remarks, and I agree that our politicians can be, and usually are, short sighted. it might be interesting to invite a different chef to do the slot every week, perhaps.

As I have a pedantic bent, can I point out that to be pro one thing means that one is, by default, anti something else? For example, if one is pro all women shortlists for a political constituency, one is also saying that one is for barring men from partaking. Or in other words, one is saying that one is in favour of discriminating against men.

I know that she has been using the programme to advertise her website and has started a cooking school on the back of what she does on the radio, and lets hope it is a success for her.

If it was a rotating chef we'd only end up with the usual faces popping up that are everywhere in other medias. Irritating people pushing their own agendas (ballymaloe, ballymaloe, ballymaloe etc.). It would also break up the consistency of the show. Now these are two things that make PK's show stand out on Irish radio: consistency and more importantly- not playing a part in the incestuous Irish celebrity (in an ordinary job!!) plying their schtick on their rancid monopoly gameboard.

Sure she's 5 minutes with an un-pretty accent, does mention food and ingredients (some by brand name) but she is mostly just selling recipes. I'd fear if it wasn't her and was someone else it would end up an advertisement for their restuarant or their cack relishes. PK seldom does much without good thinking and certainly knows how to keep a hold on such in-scheming.

• Advertisement

despite my earlier rantings, I think she sounds quite sexy .....

despite my earlier rantings, I think she sounds quite sexy .....

I think she sounds quite strident, but then she does have to fit it all into 5 minutes...i wonder does she give Pat any secret tips after the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinylmatt

humberklog wrote: »
    PK seldom does much without good thinking

I repectfully beg to differ....Pat Kenny is a loose cannon!

Luckily the Keyboard Cat can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Are ye all ready for a small bit of food in five minutes?

vinylmatt wrote: »
    I repectfully beg to differ....Pat Kenny is a loose cannon!

Well on radio at least:pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

He's so much like Alan Partridge, I can't believe it. Especially when he does segments like this.

Advertisement