Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-EU PhD student

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would really appreciate your professional an advice on the issue related to my status. I am Non-EU PhD student at TCD and would like to invite my sister, who is studying in abroad country on scholarship, over to Ireland for a month. It seems like Irish embassies abroad are reluctant to issue a visa for this situation. Also, I had an incident such that they refused my mother-in-law's visa application for the that reason (student has no right to invite), however after battling agains it we got the visa. But why is it the case? while it is not a practice anywhere else.

Now I am inviting my sister and it seems like embassy is seeking every chance to refuse the visa as they are looking for an evidence on how she is financing herself when she is living in Russia when she had already provided them.

So my question is Is it fair that Non-EU student have no right to invite their family member to Irelnad? Is there any legislation that says so? or does not say so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why can't she apply for a tourist visa on her own, without your invitation? anyways yeah its right, I'm pretty sure its to stop people bringing their whole family over to Ireland and then living here as illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Why can't she apply for a tourist visa on her own, without your invitation? anyways yeah its right, I'm pretty sure its to stop people bringing their whole family over to Ireland and then living here as illegal immigrants.

I understand it well, but it not like this anywhere in the world. Also if she applies on herself then they will ask about how she is going to finance herself when she is in Ireland and all the hotel bookings and so on... The point is I am inviting her to Ireland thus I am paying everything.

Aslo, she has no intention to stay as she in the final year and her state exam it is a big deal and without it she won;t graduate and who on the earth is willing to give away 5 years work just like this. If visa officer is not aware of that ans thinks that she might stay here forever, I have no word to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I'm sure that either way she will have to make the application herself at some stage. There are things that are taken into consideration when approving visa applications. I suggest you include any documentation that will help her application such as....
    1. A letter for her college to say she is full time student, still registered and still has 1 year left
    2. A rent book or something to prove that she is resident and paying rent/bills and contracted to do so for the future..

It should not be too much trouble, I'm sure she will get in, just do what you can when making the application to let them know its for one month only and her life is elsewhere!

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. We have already encloused the documents such as college letter, scholarship and rent book. Fingers are crossed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement