Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent. Does this look okay?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:34pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have as good as bought this system for 900 euro...

Did I get a good deal??

AMD PhenomII X4 Quad-Core 965 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB retail
    Asus M4A78LT-M LE, AM3 ,760G ,2DDR3
    Asus Radeon 4770 512MB
    Ultron case with MS-Tech 750Watt PSU
    4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz NQ Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit
    500GB Seagate 16MB 7200rpm HDD SATA
    LG SATA DVD Writer 20x
    Longshine 300Mbps 802.11n PCI
    Logitech Deluxe 250 Keyboard and Logitech RX250 Mouse
    1year parts and labour back to base warranty
    20” Wide Screen DVI & VGA Benq LCD

And, most importantly, should I have any trouble installing Windows XP to this system from a genuine CD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Seems like a lot of money for a poor spec system.
    Where are you buying it?
    Have a look at overclockers.co.uk.

Oh and 750Watt PSU...... Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It does indeed seem quite expensive for what you are getting. Check out some local irish sites like:

komplett.ie
    elara.ie
    peats.ie

you should get cheaper prices there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

and ebuyer.com :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Thanks for the speedy responses.
    Seems like a lot of money for a poor spec system.
    Where are you buying it?
    Have a look at overclockers.co.uk.

Oh and 750Watt PSU...... Why?

Do you really think that? I just thought, since it was a ddr3 board and the best amd processor and a decent monitor that 900 euro was alright. EDIT: The PC was going to be built as well.

What would you expect to pay for this system??

I assumed I could dabble in a bit of overclocking with the 750 Watt PSU. or was that stupid? Be honest!

I won't say where I was getting it from just yet, as I don't want to name and shame anyone, if this is indeed too expensive. In their defense delivery was going to be cheap and they were nice over the phone/via email and I have no problem paying a bit extra for the 1 year warranty.

Can I ask, what would ye buy at overclockers, or indeed anywhere, for 900 euro so? Baring in mind, it's a full system, right down to new keyboard and mouse.

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pftt...1 year warranty...

Most video cards have a 2-3 year warranty same for hard drives/memory etc.
    That system is way overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Pi^2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy responses.

Do you really think that? I just thought, since it was a ddr3 board and the best amd processor and a decent monitor that 900 euro was alright. EDIT: The PC was going to be built as well.

What would you expect to pay for this system??

I assumed I could dabble in a bit of overclocking with the 750 Watt PSU. or was that stupid? Be honest!

I won't say where I was getting it from just yet, as I don't want to name and shame anyone, if this is indeed too expensive. In their defense delivery was going to be cheap and they were nice over the phone/via email and I have no problem paying a bit extra for the 1 year warranty.

Can I ask, what would ye buy at overclockers, or indeed anywhere, for 900 euro so? Baring in mind, it's a full system, right down to new keyboard and mouse.

Cheers in advance

Out of interest, did you get prices for individual parts or was this an all-in-one deal? I suggest that you do name and shame to prevent other consumers from being ripped-off too.

You don't need a 750W PSU to overclock your system. Unless you have SLI/crossfire'd high-end graphics cards and are running several hard drives, etc. you won't even be able to make use of all that voltage. Ideally, you need a good brand power supply with a voltage suited to your needs -- and that depends entirely on what components are in your system.

XP will install fine.
    a ddr3 board

To be honest, DDR3 is basically the same as DDR2 from an average user's perspective. All it does is cost a lot more! And the RAM you have chosen is kinda low frequency (bad) and high latency (also bad).
    best amd processor

"best" == huge price premium on sites that think they can get away with it.
    EDIT: The PC was going to be built as well.

Hardwareversand build for €30 but, come on, half the fun of this whole process is just sitting down and doing it all yourself. Especially if you want to start doing some of the more advanced stuff like overclocking, it doesn't hurt to know exactly what's what in your case.

What do you plan on using this for anyway?

Have a look at the budget system thread at the top of this forum for some good ideas. Once you add on the cost of your peripherals, you should be around the €900 mark.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Thank Farcear. You opened my eyes a little bit more there.

I need a new PC for Mathematics Research (using Matlab, Matematica, Latex etc) and a lot of CAD a lot of report writing and a bit of PC Gaming on the side.

Please, someone just design me my perfect PC!!

I have know idea what i'm doing, no idea where to start and if I don't get help soon I'll end up paying way too much money for a piece of crap! I've checked the sticky threads, I've been researching the internet for weeks, and I'm still no closer to a new system than I was when I started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Well I did a quick check on hardwareversand.de out of curiousity and the whole system with similar spec came to just under 700 euros

It does look like you were overcharged a wee bit. The PC you have isnt hideous, just might be v power hungry, especially with that PSU.

Quite a few people get utterly shafted with old outdated CPU's and rubbish graphics card.. your PC will still be v fast, and you may prefer it considering its built and delivered fast with a nice return warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Pi^2 wrote: »
    Thank Farcear. You opened my eyes a little bit more there.

I need a new PC for Mathematics Research (using Matlab, Matematica, Latex etc) and a lot of CAD a lot of report writing and a bit of PC Gaming on the side.

Please, someone just design me my perfect PC!!

I have know idea what i'm doing, no idea where to start and if I don't get help soon I'll end up paying way too much money for a piece of crap! I've checked the sticky threads, I've been researching the internet for weeks, and I'm still no closer to a new system than I was when I started!

The best way to approach this is to pick a budget and work backwards from there. Definitely for €1,000 you can get something that should more than meet your needs.

Next thing you want to do is to get a notepad/spreadsheet and take note of all of the individual components and prices that you have been looking at.

I've never done CAD before, so I couldn't advise you as to what kind of graphics card is needed for that.

For the maths stuff; sounds like an i7-860, i7-920 might be quite useful here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

+1 on the i7 920 it's great value at the moment and it's a fantastic overclocker.

If you assemble it yourself there's a good few people on here that can talk you through the build or the fact that hardwareversand will do it for €30 is pretty good,I think OCUK will do the same as well and I'd recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cork45 wrote: »
    +1 on the i7 920 it's great value at the moment and it's a fantastic overclocker.

If you assemble it yourself there's a good few people on here that can talk you through the build or the fact that hardwareversand will do it for €30 is pretty good,I think OCUK will do the same as well and I'd recommend them.
    Yeah, i7 would be great for the CAD work, would only need a core 2( quad Q9550 ) system for the other stuff though.

As for the 750W PSU, i see absolutely nothing wrong with the OP getting one, better off getting a good case, PSU, mouse, keyboard, DVD drive that will last at least 5+ years so you can use it for several builds. 750W will be nothing in a few years( of course best only getting PSU's with 5 or 10 years warranty :) )

Ine got a 6 year old case, 3 year old 850W PSU, 4 year old screen etc. theyre all good for another few years and builds

Advertisement