Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crescent Music Store ungrateful of Custom

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I've just left a certain music store in the Crescent after attempting to buy a 250G PS3, The bundle I went for gave me the option of Jak and Daxter or Uncharted, I went for J&d and FIFA 2010 or Need for Speed, I went for FIFA, However they didn't have Fifa, and when I asked if I could get a different game they told me I had Two choices, take Need for Speed which I didn't want or Fcuk off, so instead of being reasonable they allowed a 400 euro sale walk out the door (I was buying Modern Warfare 2 as well) and there I was thinking we were in the middle of a recession! Anyway they're loss Harvey Norman's gain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No real shock in finding rudeness in that store to be honest. Management there are known for not being blessed with people skills.

The only shame is that when they went belly up, and were taken over by the company that has the store in town, that they managed to move some of their rude staff to the town store also. Was in there the other day and one of the ex crescent members was having a right go at a staff member in the middle of the shop floor in front of customers, and it is not the first time that I have seen that happen there.

Very unprofessional to say the least.

The weird thing is that the Crescent store was quite good a few years ago when they seemed to have a lot of people there who knew their music and film but who were very helpful and polite. All that seems to be there now are people who don't know anything beyond what is the main chart release and who have very little interest in the customer. I just hope that the town store does not turn out the same way, but I fear it will if it just becomes a clone of the crescent store.

Actually OP the best place for you to post about this would be in the consumer forum, as good, bad, and rude customer service gets highlighted in that forum, as word of mouth is a strong advertising tool, just a pity that some companies do not seem to take that to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mcarrol27 wrote: »
    I've just left a certain music store in the Crescent after attempting to buy a 250G PS3, The bundle I went for gave me the option of Jak and Daxter or Uncharted, I went for J&d and FIFA 2010 or Need for Speed, I went for FIFA, However they didn't have Fifa, and when I asked if I could get a different game they told me I had Two choices, take Need for Speed which I didn't want or Fcuk off, so instead of being reasonable they allowed a 400 euro sale walk out the door (I was buying Modern Warfare 2 as well) and there I was thinking we were in the middle of a recession! Anyway they're loss Harvey Norman's gain.

Speaking as an ex employee, the games bundles are strictly whatever is advertised, they can order in another copy of the one they were missing, which is what i would have done, but the stock for the bundles is always crap, was when i worked there as well, we never had half the stuff that was advertised, oh the joys coming up to christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Did you try Gamestop in the Cresent for what you wanted?

I've bought from them in the past and they were willing to
    come to a compromise in a similar situation,
    Was buying a PSP that came with a free title but they
    did not have the one I wanted and could not give me any game I wanted. I told them I was not interested in any of the games they could give me, so instead they gave me discount of any game of my choice.

A lot of the time shops (especially with games) dont have
    control over what they stock and when they stock it,
    there parent company's supply the stock and they take what they are given. Also things like release dates can be a pain. Been in situations where They Had games in stock, but the actual tills would not let them process the
    pruchase until certain dates.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mcarrol27

I understand that these shops operate under a parent company but I don't see why management can't take some initiative and bend the rules when it comes to making a sale. Rules or no rules they still lost out on 400 quid.
    I went straight to Gamestop after being refused the first sale but they were outta stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I understand that these shops operate under a parent company but I don't see why management can't take some initiative and bend the rules when it comes to making a sale. Rules or no rules they still lost out on 400 quid.
    I went straight to Gamestop after being refused the first sale but they were outta stock.

Realistically they probably lost out on €40-€50 at most, €400 is the headline price, these places have overheads and suppliers to pay.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Realistically they probably lost out on €40-€50 at most, €400 is the headline price, these places have overheads and suppliers to pay.

A 400 euro sale is still a 400 euro sale, and the 40-50 euro you're quoting is profit.
    Just wondering how overheads and suppliers are going to be paid when sales (which is the business a Shop is supposed to be in) are being refused?
    If an attitude like that is persisted with it won't be long until the liquidators are arranging for suppliers to be paid...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did they actually tell you **** off, or did they just tell you they weren't going to change the deal?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The thing is though, that the manager is just another employee not the owner. The manager may not have the authority to just bend the rules. I'm not sure of exactly how this offer worked, but in most cases the "free" games are coming as a bundle to the store. If they give you another game then that is one they have had to pay for. The cost of that game could quite easily wipe out the profit from the bundle. (Though I have to say with the level of over charging that happens in Ireland I do doubt that to be the case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A 400 euro sale is still a 400 euro sale, and the 40-50 euro you're quoting is profit.
    Just wondering how overheads and suppliers are going to be paid when sales (which is the business a Shop is supposed to be in) are being refused?
    If an attitude like that is persisted with it won't be long until the liquidators are arranging for suppliers to be paid...
    And if they got into giving everyone what they want, in this case another game, they would have made a loss on the sale and the liquadators would be in soon enough.

Must've missed the day that giving paying customers what they want became bad for business!!! And as for making a loss on the sale by replacing one game for a different one of the same value, I'd say there's a short circuit in your calculator buddy :-)

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    The thing is though, that the manager is just another employee not the owner. The manager may not have the authority to just bend the rules. I'm not sure of exactly how this offer worked, but in most cases the "free" games are coming as a bundle to the store. If they give you another game then that is one they have had to pay for. The cost of that game could quite easily wipe out the profit from the bundle. (Though I have to say with the level of over charging that happens in Ireland I do doubt that to be the case.)

I do see your point, and I'm sure the managers don't have a lot of authority, but if these "free" games are coming in as a bundle to the store then they should have the game in stock or else they've sold the game at full price to another customer, instead of at the reduced bundle price. And this makes their insistence on not providing an alternative worse.

Advertisement