Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schmap.me

• 27-11-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

I was curious at to other peoples opinion on this site and have ye been approached by them? A friend of mine got a message via flickr that went something like this:
    [FONT=&quot]:: Schmap: London Photo Short-list

Hi *xyz*,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has
    been short-listed for inclusion in the ninth edition of our
    Schmap London Guide, to be published mid-December 2009.

*Link to schmap photo page*

Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
    i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
    ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection
    phase.
    iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides..
    iv) Browse online or download the eighth edition of our
    Schmap London Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many
    photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap
    Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and
    are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a
    maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and
    link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Friday, December 4. If you
    happen to be reading this message after this date, please
    still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated
    frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be
    considered for later releases).

Best regards,

[/FONT]Now, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it! A quick google and it brought up these few sites which are an interesting read:

http://blog.juliannayau.com/2009/07/07/always-something-for-nothing/

http://www.yvonnekao.com/blog/miscellaneous/schmap_guides_shortlist/

http://www.writingtravel.com/2009/03/to-schmap-or-not-to-schmap-a-strategic-question-for-travel-photographers.html

Personally I think it's a bit cheeky of them. Another free photo grabber.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Have any of you been approached by them? Or what do you think of all of the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't like how its worded like a competition shortlist

Had a photo of Sydney Harbour bridge selected a few years ago, don't see much harm in it as your name is listed with the photo and when clicked on links back to the flickr photo.

One thing is that they might have 20 photos or more of one landmark, so your photo will only show up on their guide every so often. That was my understanding of it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep they have a couple of mine up for Dublin. I think a fair few here have pics they are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

yeah they have one of mine of Rome up. they seem fine like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They used one of my pics from Dublin zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Yeah, maybe I'm too quick to judge, I'm still deciding! From reading a little deeper into it a lot of what schmap.me provide is free anyway. They do make money from some form of premium content or something though so it would all depend if the photos make it into this content I suppose.

Was curious to what others thoughts werer on them. Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I let them use one of mine for Dublin Zoo without much thought, they seem fine, the woman who contacted me was nice too and at least they asked.

I get the impression that they've got more photos that visitors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Had one selected as well, it's so long ago now I can't remember which one and where. As Rb said the person who contacted me was very polite so why not. It links back to your flickr account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

i've two on there (one in each of Galway and Auckland). I thought they were mighty nice and polite and emailed asking if I minded submitting the photos for consideration, then emailed again to tell me they were included. They're credited with name and all on the site and it links back to my flickr :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

i've two on there (one in each of Galway and Auckland). I thought they were mighty nice and polite and emailed asking if I minded submitting the photos for consideration, then emailed again to tell me they were included. They're credited with name and all on the site and it links back to my flickr :)

I had a very similar experience to you honerbright. They used one of my red panda shots for Dublin Zoo and same thing, they credited with name and link back to Flickr :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

So it looks like they trawl through flickr and select pics they think might bring them some business. Why not?
    Pity they wouldn't trawl Pix.ie.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

They approached me last Summer for permission to use one of my photos for the Galway guide. Once I confirmed that they were legit I figured why not? If they give you due credit and it (however slightly) increases the chances of people following the link back to your photostream, surely that's a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm still unsure. I know they're legit, just not sure I agree with using photos for free. I'm pretty sure the people requesting the photos get a pay check, not sure why we should work for free too. There are occasions that I will provide photos for free, like for causes or projects I agree with, but their purpose is not to make a profit. But when they are making money out of it I don't see why I should work for free.

Advertisement