Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I realy need some help quickly--ebuyer.com

Options
  • 27-11-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

Well i ordered a comp from the above on monday and paid the 20 pound to have it delivered today the 27th. Checked it today to find that the item still hadnt shipped. So i sent them an email and said i would give them a call. On their website it says to put 44 in front of their numbers if dialing from abroad.

This didnt work for some reason so i rang their tech and order line 4 times and kept getting put to an answering machine. On the 5th call the guy answered and told me that ebuyer had linked the number to this guys satellite phone and that i that i was going to end up being charged €50 for each time i rang. Thats a total of €250 for a total of about 2mins on the phone. This is just simply outrageous by any standard. What the hell are they doing linking it to a satellite phone....

Basicaly i dont know where to go from here. They arent the easiest crowd to get in contact with and i dont want to go and ring that number again knowing im gonna get charged again...

Any help and suggestions would be hugely welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Contact the European Consumer Centre http://www.eccireland.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what is the number you rang ...leave out the last 2 digits ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Thanks henry. I sent them a complaint through their website. Was going to give them(the ecc) a call but their lines close at 1pm :(

Contact the European Consumer Centre http://www.eccireland.ie/
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    what is the number you rang ...leave out the last 2 digits ??

0872 111 22 22

On their website it says add 44 and nothing about leaving out two digits. I tried with adding the 44 and leaving the 0 on and taking it off but to no luck. I was expecting it to be somewhat expensive considering i was calling from Ireland but for them to link it to the guys satellite phone?
    The guy(Stuart) said himself that he had already got a load of calls to this phone and that ebuyer themselves werent even answering him. What he said is that you are charged 50 euro for the first 3 mins in a block so each time i got to the voicemail i was being charged that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To ring them from here, the number should be 0044 872 111 22 22 and it shouldn't cost you €50 a minute. If they are re-directing the calls, then they pay for that.

Who is this Stuart? Does he work for ebuyer? Why would he be ringing ebuyer, and why would they not be answering his calls?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    To ring them from here, the number should be 0044 872 111 22 22 and it shouldn't cost you €50 a minute. If they are re-directing the calls, then they pay for that.

Who is this Stuart? Does he work for ebuyer? Why would he be ringing ebuyer, and why would they not be answering his calls?

Im assuming he's their Irish rep or something(He said he was irish? He said that he had got numerous calls to his satellite phone so im assuming he wasnt working and they linked it onto that number to get in contact with him? He said he had being trying to contact them about the fact that the calls were ending up at his satellite phone. My conversation was quite brief with him as once he mentioned how much it would cost i quickly finished the conversation. Ive sent two enotes to ebuyer and im waiting for a response. All i know is that there is no way im going to be paying the €250 if that is what im actualy charged in the end.

Also i probably should have known to put the two 0's at the start but i just went by what the said on their website of adding the 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

As jor el said, that sounds like a load of crap. 0872 is the UK equivalent of numbers charged at a national rate. If someone's forwarded on their number to a satellite phone (which again sounds like BS) then they're the ones paying for it.

MOH wrote: »
    As jor el said, that sounds like a load of crap. 0872 is the UK equivalent of numbers charged at a national rate. If someone's forwarded on their number to a satellite phone (which again sounds like BS) then they're the ones paying for it.

Yeah i didnt understand 1) why the guy would have a satellite phone 2) why is would get onto him?

I rang up ebuyer on the other number and talked to a very helpfull person for about 15 mins :rolleyes:. The order apparently hadnt been passed on from the google checkout thing and her manager had now started an "investigation" into the calls. Gonna get onto eircom now to see what actualy charges have been incurred and they said if i ahve been charged that ill need to send on a copy of the bill and theyll sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

I think someone is winding you up about the price of the phone calls.

Must remember it though, it might come in handy sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The order apparently hadnt been passed on from the google checkout thing and her manager had now started an "investigation" into the calls. Gonna get onto eircom now to see what actualy charges have been incurred and they said if i ahve been charged that ill need to send on a copy of the bill and theyll sort it out.

This is a common complaint with ebuyer and google checkout, based on other threads I've read on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

00872nnnn was a Satellite Phone number ( Inmarsat) which would have cost €5 a minute to ring ...except that it was withdrawn early this year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

This just reminds me of what I was thinking of in the earlier stage of this week. Does there actually exist, an online computer/electronics retailer, that actually provides 'customer service'??
    I only ever hear bad things about Komplett, Pixmania... etc
    There is definitely a niche there.
    'competitive pricing WITH customer service'
    Simple formula yet no one seems to be able to provide it successfully!

I think someone is winding you up about the price of the phone calls.

Must remember it though, it might come in handy sometime.

Yeah thats possible but still why my was my call re-directed from their customer service line?

Got onto eircom and they told me they cant check the call logs to see what charges were incurred which i found surprising as surely all this should be on a database somewhere. Im gonna ring them again monday and see if i have any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

If the computer was for home and not business use, just cancel the transaction. Distance Selling Regs apply, and they'll either have to refund you or you do a charge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

...Also i probably should have known to put the two 0's at the start but i just went by what the said on their website of adding the 44.

The website actually says "Please remember to use the international dialling code (+44) when calling from outside the UK".
    The plus sign is an internationally recognised symbol which means "dial the international access code of the country you are calling from".

The international access code from Ireland, and from many countries, is 00, but there are also other countries which use different codes.

So when they said "+44", they implied "0044" for someone calling from Ireland or most European countries, or "01144" for someone calling from the USA or Canada, or "001144" for someone calling from Australia, or numerous other codes depending on the country the call is coming from.

By the way, if you are calling from a mobile phone, you can also actually key in the plus symbol instead of 00.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above you should have dialed 0044 and dropped the first zero in the number given.

I'd say most likely if you just called the number without adding 0044 you reached someones irish mobile phone who's head is probably so wrecked taking calls for this company that they decided to have a bit of a laugh with a few people. I know someone gave my home number out to numerous companies and my husband loses the rag every time someone calls for them, it does get annoying after a while.

Advertisement