Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tearing down St. Patrick's Erection

• 27-11-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

http://communications.nuim.ie/press/111109.shtml

Apparently, as part of a new library building, there is a plan to remove the bridge connecting both sides of the campus, and replace it with a "toucan" crossing (don't they mean pelican?!).

I for one would be kinda sad to see that bridge go :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

As far as I know, Toucan crossings are wider and allow bicycles to cross as well. There's your daily dose of pedantry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Its a terrible idea getting ride of the bridge imo. Generally there is a steady stream of people going for north to south campus and whats being proposed will cause terrible problems for traffic on that road and for the pedestrians.

Also what exactly is the plan when the library is being built, is it being completely torn down leaving nowhere for people to study, or will they be doing works, then joining it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

RE: the bridge. There's a bypass being built that (hopefully) will greatly reduce the amount of traffice through maynooth, which allows there to be a toucan crossing.

The New library will be connceted to the old library.

There'lll also be a lot of new space in the area were the turtle man/JPII statue in front of the library is now. Like, loads. The statue is being moved waaay back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

No more icy falling comedy in the winter mornings :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'll be sad about this, but probably long gone before it ever happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

on the other hand no more getting up early to go around rather than go over :D

or was that just me :o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

or was that just me :o:rolleyes:

Bingo.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Would hurt like hell if someone tore it. thats just not on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Sigh, t'was always my favourite erection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stupid idea... the traffic is already insane without adding another crossing/set of lights.

I'll be long gone before this happens, huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Sigh, t'was always my favourite erection.

I would have bragged but ive seen it in all its glory and well im a bit embarrased now. I guess im just not as good a sculpter as i once thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Don't worry, we'll be gliding over the road on our hover crafts by the time this happens!

Can someone rephrase the thread title too please! Not an image I want in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

K4t wrote: »
    Don't worry, we'll be gliding over the road on our hover crafts by the time this happens!

Can someone rephrase the thread title too please! Not an image I want in my head!
    guess that's one snake he didnt kick out of ireland:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

God astro, don't be such a peed ant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

K4t wrote: »

Although odd, I was under the impression that that was the official name of the bridge. I can't find a source for that though :)

Advertisement