Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Marathon - May 2nd

Options
  • 27-11-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭

Just in case people don't know about this (I just found out myself), a series of runs will happen on the May Bank Holiday next year (Sunday 2nd). There is a 10k, a half marathon (21k) and a full marathon (42k).

More info here:
    Great Limerick Run Website | Boards Thread on A/R/T Events Forum

There are route maps and registration info on the website.

I think this is a great event for the city to run, and should attract people from far and wide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am just curious where all the cars are meant to go if all the main routes are being used and the areas around the main shopping centres are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Savage I am So doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

This is something that could do a huge amount of good for the city (and I am sure that we can live without using cars in town for the 6 or 7 hours of a bank holiday weekend that will be needed).

A well run, well supported race will have a positive impact on the Cities image, bring in tourists, increase local spending and give the City Centre a much needed boost.

Limerick claims to be the "Sporting City", a well supported marathon could be HUGE. The more people run it (it starts with a 10k, just over 6 miles and with 6 months to prep *anyone* can do that!), volunteer to help out on the day at water stations, start and finish areas or marshalling on teh course or even just get out and clap on the course (believe me, it helps the runners more than you know) then the better this will be.

Feel free to get involved with the thread on the ART forum and it would be great to get training groups going to help people through a long winters training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am just curious where all the cars are meant to go if all the main routes are being used and the areas around the main shopping centres are being used.

Whatever about the traffic the city can really do with this sort of sporting event and hopefully it will become an annual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Brilliant.
    I've wanted this for ages.

I've ran Marathons in a few differnt countries, and up in Dublin, and it's always a great event for the city involved.
    Definately signing up for this.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Whatever about the traffic the city can really do with this sort of sporting event and hopefully it will become an annual event.

There is no doubt the town needs events like this, it is just that I have very little faith in the local authorities to organise it. Based on how their system of dealing with extra traffic for Munster games is to just switch off the traffic lights and leave the junctions unmanned by Gardai.

If the aforementioned authorities get minimal imput and it gets left to people with experience of organising races, then it could be a really good event, one that would hark back to the milk runs (think that was the name anyway) that were held in Limerick years ago.

Kess73 wrote: »
    There is no doubt the town needs events like this, it is just that I have very little faith in the local authorities to organise it. Based on how their system of dealing with extra traffic for Munster games is to just switch off the traffic lights and leave the junctions unmanned by Gardai.

If the aforementioned authorities get minimal imput and it gets left to people with experience of organising races, then it could be a really good event, one that would hark back to the milk runs (think that was the name anyway) that were held in Limerick years ago.

It'll be set up by Athletics Ireland.
    Same way that the Dublin marathon is for instance.
    They've got years of experience, and will be able to avoid a lot of the problems.
    Most roads will only be closed off for the first 4 hours or so of the race, and the hour before hand.
    So from around 7am to 12pm (if the race starts at 8am).
    All the runners are past the halfway point at that stage, so that side of the city reopens.

I ran the Paris marathon last year, which starts and finishes along the Champs Elysees, which is a massively busy area, but the trafic is really well managed on the day.
    I understand why you'd fear the city authorities but to be honest, they'll be doing very little.

It'll be set up by Athletics Ireland.
    Same way that the Dublin marathon is for instance.
    They've got years of experience, and will be able to avoid a lot of the problems.
    Most roads will only be closed off for the first 4 hours or so of the race, and the hour before hand.
    So from around 7am to 12pm (if the race starts at 8am).
    All the runners are past the halfway point at that stage, so that side of the city reopens.

I ran the Paris marathon last year, which starts and finishes along the Champs Elysees, which is a massively busy area, but the trafic is really well managed on the day.
    I understand why you'd fear the city authorities but to be honest, they'll be doing very little.

Well if the local authorities have very little to do with it, then my confidence in how well it will be organised will skyrocket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

Milford hospice should get involved also, this would drive people when they know a good cause is gaining from there efforts

celliman wrote: »
    Milford hospice should get involved also, this would drive people when they know a good cause is gaining from there efforts

Last two marathons I ran were for Milford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

celliman wrote: »

Nothing against Milford Hospice (a great charity) but why specifically them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I was talking to somone working in Milford and they said that that they get so much charity donantions that they don't know what to do with the money. It's a great place and I'm glad people support it but would there not be a charity that needs it more?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Like LAW - they always need money and are at most times very busy. I did a jersey day in work before and collected a good bit of money. They were thrilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Delighted to have this on my doorstep. No money or time spent with travel and accommodation. Happy days. E55 for a full marathon is OK value (as they go) and six months should be enough training time for me.

I always hated the way we were the one city on the island with no race through our streets. This will more than fix that and as said earlier, we can't claim to be a sporting city without a big race.

I think the revenue for the city is a given. The other big boost will be getting people into fitness and running in Limerick who mighn't otherwise try a 10k. This phenomenon can be witnessed with the women each October in Plassey. All in all, great.

Advertisement