Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

DECEiFER wrote: »
    A dual-SLI Nvidia GeFore 260 setup wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Just remember that the P6T SE that I suggested doesn't support it. Find another board, or look into the ordinary P6T.

Get yourself two of these if you go the Nvidia route:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27026&agid=707
    i absolutely love those dual fan gpus, they just look the bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lmimmfn wrote: »
    er, wheres the 20% performance difference? theres next to no difference

i went off benches from tomshardware.co.uk. Overall it found the 5770 could match performance with the 4890 at 1024X768 resolution. at 1080p there was an 18% performance increase when using the 4890, and 20% when using resolutions above. Plus the 4890 overclocks better.
    And on your second point, yes, gpu's evolve quicker, hence crossfire a 5770 later. Dual gpu solutions are becoming cheaper and cheaper, you can pick up 2 8800GT's now second hand for 100euro that would destroy a 260 or 4870 in most benchmarks.

also an option, however i think when we actually start to see DX11 games the 5770 wills start to look at lot less appealing. The reason it scales so well is because of the increased memory bandwidth (ever important when using less intensive DX9 games, not so much when using FLOPS intensive DX10 and DX11). I'm waiting and i wont be bolloxed paying the premium for what is essentially Beta hardware (as i said above, nobody has any idea of how this current generation performs when it comes to DX11 because they've nothing to bench against). If you want to spend fair enough, not a huge amount of difference but i think a 4890 makes a hell of a lot more sense right now.
    Even if the OP would prefer a DX10 card instead, an nvidia 260( 216SP ) is a much much better option than a 4970 for the following reasons:
    1. Nvidia control panel is much much better than ATI's one size fits all Catalyst for configuration for different games
    2. ATI's drivers are generally crap, only the recently released 9.11's fix the performance issue most were having with Shift
    3. It supports physx, fair enough only a handful of games support physx but still Batman AA looks so much better with physx AND Nvidia cards have AA in that title.
    4. You can overclock the shaders on nvidia cards.

Again, the choice is down to the OP.

as an Nvidia owner, this current generation are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. I got my GTX285 for cheap at the time, thinking by the time DX11 comes out I'll be able to get another for half nothing. for me to get another would cost me more than the original. PhysX and CUDA are great, but only if (like me) you're a programmer in these areas. Else you're paying a €100 premium to play batman with particle physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i went off benches from tomshardware.co.uk. Overall it found the 5770 could match performance with the 4890 at 1024X768 resolution. at 1080p there was an 18% performance increase when using the 4890, and 20% when using resolutions above. Plus the 4890 overclocks better.
    Pretty much what happens in all gens whereby the memory bandwidth of the lower cards screws them. Im surprised you say the 4890 overclocks better, the volts of the 5770 are unlocked allowing insane overclocks, 1000+ easily on the core.

also an option, however i think when we actually start to see DX11 games the 5770 wills start to look at lot less appealing. The reason it scales so well is because of the increased memory bandwidth (ever important when using less intensive DX9 games, not so much when using FLOPS intensive DX10 and DX11). I'm waiting and i wont be bolloxed paying the premium for what is essentially Beta hardware (as i said above, nobody has any idea of how this current generation performs when it comes to DX11 because they've nothing to bench against). If you want to spend fair enough, not a huge amount of difference but i think a 4890 makes a hell of a lot more sense right now.
    well Dirt2 demo is out unofficially, check TPB. Personally id go for a 5850 over a 5770, however if i was given the option of a 4890 or 5770 id choose the later.
    There are several benchies available for DX11, new Stalker benchie, Uniengine and of course Dirt2 demo
    At the end of the day its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, the OP should really decide what he prefers.
    as an Nvidia owner, this current generation are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. I got my GTX285 for cheap at the time, thinking by the time DX11 comes out I'll be able to get another for half nothing. for me to get another would cost me more than the original. PhysX and CUDA are great, but only if (like me) you're a programmer in these areas. Else you're paying a €100 premium to play batman with particle physics.
    Well the 260's are competitively priced, i picked up one 8 months or so ago for 170euro( a lot cheaper now of course ), the 285 is a premium card so you pay insane amounts for anything in that category.
    I picked up a 5850( second hand but never used ) for 100euro + my old 260 so theyre not that expensive if you shop around. Cuda and Physx are cool, i get the nvidia developer stuff and you can do some really cool things with it. Ive not tried as ive enough projects on the go at the mo.

However ive my 5850 as my main card and 8800GT doing the physx, cheap solution and works well with the 190 drivers, new crack is out today for the 195s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King MmC

If anyone is looking for a custom built pc either a budget gamming rig or a high end proformance pc please do not hesitate to message me i am based in the dublin/north kildare aera

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dell used to be a great company but they've really gone down hill lately. I wouldn't rate them at all any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

King MmC wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a custom built pc either a budget gamming rig or a high end proformance pc please do not hesitate to message me i am based in the dublin/north kildare aera

It's more fun building them yourself though!:D;)

Advertisement