Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Rental

Options
  • 27-11-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi All

I hope I am posting in the right forum, but I just need to get something off my chest.

A relative of mine is currently in hospital, but as there are no TVs in the ward, the staff nurse provided me with a phone number of a company that rents TVs to patients for a fee per week.

So about 2 months ago I called and left a message, but got no reply. I just left it as I didnt think my relative would be in hospital for too much longer. I eventually spoke to someone 2/3 weeks later who promised to deliver the TV no problem.

It never came. Since then I have been calling and leaving messages. Rang again this week, and I was given an apology and was promised it would be delivered yesterday. It never came. Phone not answering today.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why are you still trying to give money to a company that's this obviously bad/incompetent?

Buy a small TV, it'll be easier, and possibly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As long as no money has changed hands, I'd walk away from this company. They're going to be nothing but bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fubu

Thanks for the replys guys! And yep you are right.

Other patients have suffered the same problems.
    I was thinking of writing a letter to the hospital to inform them of the bad service I have recevied from this company.

Doubt they will do anything but worth a try!!

Thanks again:)

Fubu wrote: »
    Doubt they will do anything but worth a try!!

They might stop recommending them to patients and patients' families though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jesus, what has this country come to? Prisoners get free TVs in their cells, but patients in hospitals have to pay to rent them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Danno wrote: »
    Jesus, what has this country come to? Prisoners get free TVs in their cells, but patients in hospitals have to pay to rent them.

Michael O'Leary is now helping Mary Hearney out with the Health service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

TV rental in hospitals the greatest rip off, and I am surprised it is not exposed.

My old one was in a private nursing home last year paying €1200 for a shoe box room. Management had the audacity of a rental TV option at an additional charge and Telifis Eireann the only channel at that. :eek:

With the price and convenient size of flat screen TV's today there is absolutely no need to rent unless you want the luxury of having the extra sat channels.

Danno wrote:
    Last time I was in hospital, we had to put euro coins in a slot to get the TV to work. Guess we were lucky that at least the TV was actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just buy a cheap portable tv:confused:

And then pass it on to another patient when your relative is leaving.

Why are you relying a company that is obviously not delivering?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fubu

TV rental in hospitals the greatest rip off, and I am surprised it is not exposed.

My old one was in a private nursing home last year paying €1200 for a shoe box room. Management had the audacity of a rental TV option at an additional charge and Telifis Eireann the only channel at that. :eek:

Thats unbelievable, so its not just only the one hospital/nursing home that does this kind of thing. Its not really the cost that bothers me, its the fact the company just ignores patients requests for TVs to rent.

I have written a letter to the Matron of the hospital about the company in question, and I hope she might give me or the company some kind of response. The ward is just so boring and quiet, and its a long day without some kind of distraction. At the mo, she has a laptop and I am recording the soaps etc and she watches them when the boredom sets it.

Theres not much room for a TV at her bedside, as the ones that are for rent are placed on a little trolley with wheels. Shes happy enough with the laptop for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Something like this might be helpful - I used one for a while before after we bought a house and before we had a TV.

You basically plug the cable that normally goes into the back of the TV into it, and plug it into a USB port on the laptop, and you can watch (or record) TV on the laptop. It's fairly small, so wouldn't take up much space.

That's the first one that came up in google, though Hauppuage was the make I had, worked fine. There's different versions for analog or digital TV, so it's worth searching around a bit and making sure you have the right one.
    Just google "usb tv tuner".

Shouldn't cost you more than 50 or 60 quid even in a shop here. Mine was lying around but I think I gave it to a mate a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 northsidedave

why not buy tv/dvd combo.thery can be bought for cheap,so if the tv is crap a few cheap dvd`s can be the other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »

Anyone else feel that this situation is not just morally wrong, but disgustingly sick???

Advertisement