Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

digitial camera suddenly not compatible with pc

• 27-11-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all

Would just like to know what my options are here, if any...

I bought a digital camera from Xtra Vision about 2 months back

http://www.xtravision.ie/digital-camera/273439/genius-d1211-camera.aspx

...brought it home and it worked fine, installed it on the laptop and worked fine.

After a month there were no problems so I threw away the receipt. However, a few days ago, my laptop stopped recognising the camera. I believe there is now a compatibility issue (I have Windows Vista) and the camera box says it's compatible with XP.

I've tried emailing the company website, but it's kindof a crappy website and I don't expect any replies TBH. They don't have any drivers for Vista on their website, which is I think what I need.

Anyway, basically I am left with a camera that works but I can not hook it up to my laptop. I have no other PC in my house. I am baffled as to why it worked for a month and then just stopped working but that's just the way it happened.

So do I have any options here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all

Would just like to know what my options are here, if any...

I bought a digital camera from Xtra Vision about 2 months back

http://www.xtravision.ie/digital-camera/273439/genius-d1211-camera.aspx

...brought it home and it worked fine, installed it on the laptop and worked fine.

After a month there were no problems so I threw away the receipt. However, a few days ago, my laptop stopped recognising the camera. I believe there is now a compatibility issue (I have Windows Vista) and the camera box says it's compatible with XP.

I've tried emailing the company website, but it's kindof a crappy website and I don't expect any replies TBH. They don't have any drivers for Vista on their website, which is I think what I need.

Anyway, basically I am left with a camera that works but I can not hook it up to my laptop. I have no other PC in my house. I am baffled as to why it worked for a month and then just stopped working but that's just the way it happened.

So do I have any options here?

Thanks
    To be honest, at this stage I wouldnt call this a consumer issue, more a technical issue.

Your Camera shouldnt need drivers to be picked up by Vista or XP, the majority of cameras dont, there are some that do.
    Most likely something in Vista has become corrupt or there is an issue with the connection between the camera and the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Have you tried another usb lead? Are you getting any error messages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed. I'm going to move this to Computers & Technology to see if any of the kind folk there can help you out.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Wait, did you change from XP to Vista since buying the camera? Or why does it matter that the box says it's XP compatible if it was already working on Vista? Try a different USB cable in a different USB port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Perhaps it has become corrupt. If its an application which was installed you can run apps on Vista in an XP mode, which may help. If it was a app that was installed to view the files on the camera try uninstalling it and just connecting the camera to your machine without the SW. It should pick up the camera as an external device (you will see this similar to a new drive if you open the Computer icon on your desktop).
    Also, maybe try connecting it to a friends machine. Just to make sure that its isn't the camera which has failed in some way. If the camera is faulty and you have no receipt a bank stament or credit card statement or similar will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 YourSoulIsMine

docmol wrote: »
    Have you tried another usb lead? Are you getting any error messages?

The message that I get is "Found new hardware" and I'm prompted to install the driver everytime I plug in the camera. Even though I have the original CD, and also downloaded the driver off the website (they only have XP compatible and below), the installation wizard does not detect the driver.
    Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Wait, did you change from XP to Vista since buying the camera? Or why does it matter that the box says it's XP compatible if it was already working on Vista? Try a different USB cable in a different USB port.

No I've always had Vista only. The camera was working with Vista for uploading images. I think the problem may have started when I tried to use the camera's PC cam function. It was Windows that went online and gave this message:

"Address a problem with DSC-338 Digital Camera
    DSC-338 Digital Camera is not compatible with this version of Windows.

Because this device isn't compatible with this version of Windows, and there are no solutions available for this problem, we recommend that you find another device on the following website:

Click to go online to the Windows Vista Compatibility Center"

I only have one USB port :(. However I have a USB hub, and I tried it in different positions but nothing changed. The USB itself works, my 3 mobile broadband is connected to it at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Do you know the date you started having problems? Do you have a restore point from before that date? If you're not sure about restore points here's a quick tutorial: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6159394.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 YourSoulIsMine

trooney wrote: »
    Try uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Perhaps it has become corrupt. If its an application which was installed you can run apps on Vista in an XP mode, which may help. If it was a app that was installed to view the files on the camera try uninstalling it and just connecting the camera to your machine without the SW. It should pick up the camera as an external device (you will see this similar to a new drive if you open the Computer icon on your desktop).
    Also, maybe try connecting it to a friends machine. Just to make sure that its isn't the camera which has failed in some way. If the camera is faulty and you have no receipt a bank stament or credit card statement or similar will suffice.
    docmol wrote: »
    Do you know the date you started having problems? Do you have a restore point from before that date? If you're not sure about restore points here's a quick tutorial: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6159394.html

Thanks guys I will try out both of these suggestions and report back later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Or, just buy a memory card reader (<€5?) whip out the card from the camera and forget all this messing about with drivers.

Advertisement