Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not allowed to stop a cheque, is this affecting my rights?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wanted to ask you a all quick question.

I recently asked for a cheque for a sum of money from my local Credit Union in Limerick to pay a tradesman.

Now, there are some slight problems with the installation date and I'd like to stop the cheque for the time being until these issues are sorted out.

I called my local Credit Union and after much discussion, I was told no, cheques can't be stopped.

Is this correct behaviour? I once had to stop a cheque with Bank of Ireland and there was no hassle in doing so.

Thanks,
    Martin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you took funds out of your account, the cheque would bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Are you sure they could not cancel it? Maybe the person you asked did not know and just said that.
    Surely they can cancel it. What if the cheque was stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Davy wrote: »
    If you took funds out of your account, the cheque would bounce

hahaha intelligent thinking!! :)
    Go in and clean out your account on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ma11achy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I wanted to ask you a all quick question.

I recently asked for a cheque for a sum of money from my local Credit Union in Limerick to pay a tradesman.

Now, there are some slight problems with the installation date and I'd like to stop the cheque for the time being until these issues are sorted out.

I called my local Credit Union and after much discussion, I was told no, cheques can't be stopped.

Is this correct behaviour? I once had to stop a cheque with Bank of Ireland and there was no hassle in doing so.

Thanks,
    Martin.

All Credit Union issued chqs are made through a mainstream bank account (as in a bank that's part of the clearing system). It's possible to stop a Credit Union chq, who ever told you that is talking through their hat. Of course, there's a cost and maybe this is the reason why you were told porkies. As well, the Credit Union more than likely debited your a/c straight away, unlike if you issued a chq from your current a/c. It would appear that the credit union systems maybe deficent here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

The credit union are well able to cancel cheque's. They canceled one for me before. There's a small charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement