Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Build - Comments please

Options
  • 27-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping to have my girlfriend & siblings:D (with a bit of help from me;)) get me a new computer that I can build for Christmas. It will be for gaming, photo editing (Photoshop and RAW conversions), video and surfing the net.

My old laptop is all I have so I basically starting from scratch. I'm hoping to place an order(s) in the next week to make sure I have everything for Christmas.

Can I get comments on the attached i5 build? Anything I've forgotten? If there are any suggestions for improvements can you please supply a link. Budget is around about the €1100 excluding a monitor. If your going to tell me to stay away from i5 please point me to i7 920, motherboard and RAM that won't increase the cost excessively:(

I have a 46" 1080p TV but also would like any recommendations for a 24" Full HD monitor say for a budget of €250 and where to buy.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fran426ft wrote: »
    If your going to tell me to stay away from i5 please point me to i7 920, motherboard and RAM that won't increase the cost excessively:(

What's excessive? HWS will do an i7 combo (i.e. RAM, CPU, Mobo) for €500, €150 more than i5. I'm guessing that's too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Well currently build comes in around €1000 so excessive would be over €100 more to stick around my €1100 budget.

Don't want to have to use HWS as would prefer to just be able to use credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fran426ft wrote: »
    Well currently build comes in around €1000 so excessive would be over €100 more to stick around my €1100 budget.

Don't want to have to use HWS as would prefer to just be able to use credit card.

Fair enough. Don't discount the Phenom II x4 965 either. It holds it own against the i5's in most applications, with the exception of video editing as you'll see in that review.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I'll have to look into it. I've only really been looking at intel so far so not up to speed on the AMD.

Anyone got any other comments on the rest of the build?

Advertisement