Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can IE7 be used on Windows 7?

• 27-11-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to help my dad with his new laptop, he just got it last weekend with Windows 7 and IE8 is on it. However the main software package he uses for work can't work on IE8 and he needs to use IE7.

from a few googles I can't seem to find an alternative for him as it seems IE8 is the only compatible microsoft web browser for Windows 7.

Can anyone let me know if there is a workaround for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wouldn't try and backport an unsupported browser onto an OS; your better bet might be to use a virtual machine. If it's Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate on your dad's machine, you can use Windows XP Mode (see here for details). Alternatively you may be able to install Virtual PC 2007 and manually set up a virtual machine with Windows XP/Vista and IE7 for him to use (though you'll need to have an XP/Vista licence available separate to your Win7 licence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does the software not run on Firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Does the software not run on Firefox?

I'll have to see if it does. I'll install it later and check it out and update the thread whether it works.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Compatibility Mode in IE8 is IE7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

testicle wrote: »

+1 - Turn on "compatibility mode" in IE8 by clicking the broken page icon at the end of the address bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

you cannot run/install IE7 on Windows 7 other than within XP Mode on IE7

IE7 compatibility mode does not necessarily work but worth testing. Have same situation with Peoplesoft version - only works in IE7 or lower. Changing to compatibility mode does not help.

Also finding that Chrome(version 4.x) works really well with everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

testicle wrote: »
    +1 - Turn on "compatibility mode" in IE8 by clicking the broken page icon at the end of the address bar.

Compatibility mode in IE8 is not IE7 - it's a software emulation of the rendering engine used in IE7 which gives no guarantee of working properly if you're using it for a bespoke browser-based application. It's worth a try but I wouldn't go betting the farm on it. XP Compatibility Mode is Microsoft's official solution for this sort of problem.

I can confirm that compatibility mode is not the same as IE7. My laptop's touchpad driver has an annoying bug in IE8 which causes the page to jump back to the top when the vertical scrolling reaches the end. It still does it in IE8's compatibility mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

+1 microsofts compatability mode things never work

Just to update, I tried Firefox, safari & Opera and none work. I got a glimpse of the work program he is to use, and it is just a website, no software. He goes to a link, logs on then gets an error message that something won't work. Only on his desktop (with XP & IE7) will this work. He needs to mobility of a laptop to use this site as he travels so I'd be afraid of the last resort being the install XP (which we don't have a copy of for his new laptop).

He did mention how the laptop at one point asked him if he wanted to partition the drive to run XP & Windows 7 seperately on the drive, but he can't find out how to get that message to appear again.

• Advertisement

XP Compatibility Mode will be easier than having to dual-boot the system, if your hardware and Win7 licence support it.

I would strongly suggest getting him to send you the URL for the site and check if there are any requirements listed - some corporate apps will require specific versions of the Java Runtime, for example.

On another note - if he's using it for work, is there someone at his workplace IS dept. that can help with this? Even if they just tell you what needs doing it'd still be better than groping around in the dark trying to find a workaround for a system about which you know nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Just to update, I tried Firefox, safari & Opera and none work.

Give Chrome a try (the 4.0.xxx.xxx version)

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/beta/

dazzerb wrote: »
    Give Chrome a try (the 4.0.xxx.xxx version)

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/beta/

Safari and Chrome are based on the same engine so its highly unlikely.

Fysh wrote: »
    XP Compatibility Mode will be easier than having to dual-boot the system, if your hardware and Win7 licence support it.

What will he need to do to do that?
    Fysh wrote: »
    On another note - if he's using it for work, is there someone at his workplace IS dept. that can help with this? Even if they just tell you what needs doing it'd still be better than groping around in the dark trying to find a workaround for a system about which you know nothing...

He doesn't work for an office or any workplace that would have an IT system. His boss told him he needed to do invoices now through this website and told him the spec of a laptop he would need if he was doing it on the road.
    Let's just say that other people who work in his line of work around the country and have to adapt to this new process don't even have, let alone know how to use a computer. (You can slag that they need to move with the times but it would take my dad a few seconds to do up an invoice the normal way, when it now takes a full 3 minutes at least on a broadband connection to do it the new way)

Anyway, his boss never mentioned it wasn't compatible with IE8 until my dad got a new laptop and raised the issue. The boss basically said "tough luck, the site won't be getting upgraded to be compatible with IE8".

You need two things:

1 - Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate

2 - A processor with hardware virtualisation support. You can check this by running this tool on the machine.

If you have both, then download XP Mode and Virtual PC from Microsoft

I ran the scan and the laptop doesn't have the capability to run it. I'm afraid he might have to downgrade at this stage just so he can use IE7.

Advertisement