Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good monitor or can you recommend a better one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Its all right, pretty average monitor for the price i would think.

Its a fairly bad on viewing angles, contrast ratio is average. The response time is average if you want to take it at face value.

Its rather lacking in connectivity as well.
    It has tilt adjust stand though so thats nice.

Although on the plus side its really nice looking for a Dell, they're usually horribly boring to look at.

Although to be totally honest im not a fan of Dell monitors or otherwise. They're monitors are good but theyre high price generally. But what matters really is if it meets your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

well im not sure if it does meet my needs:confused:. i plan on hooking a ps3 into it and sort of having it in a room instead of a tv. so would the viewing angle mean i'd have to look straight at it? what about if i had 2 couches at right angles to each other and the monitor in the opposite corner? would everyone be able to watch it? thanks

Its very hard to say really. If you have a laptop you can get the idea easily enough. The colours can kind of fade as you move around the screen if you know what i mean :p
    Im not that fussy at all about monitors in general, as long as there is no bad ghosting. But to me Dell are riding a reputation, you can get better for less.

It seems to me these days that most TN panels have a 170 horizontal viewing angle. I think your best bet with a monitor is to go and have a look at it in a shop see how it is, then buy online.

But others to consider.

On the cheaper end, very similar specs but slightly wider viewing angle:
    asus vh242h €179

What i am looking into at the moment well between this or an lg one.
    Samsung P2450H €220ish from pixm or hwvs

The samsung has very good specs, reviews ive seen have been very positive. Theres a 3 page thread on it on the avforums you may get more knowledgeable help there.

Another option if you would want something a little different and lots of connectivity. Im going to go for this myself i would say, well if you can turn the silly light off.
    LG w2363v €230ish

This fella here is supposed to be an excellent monitor, lots of people rave about this on certain american computer forums. But would be around €10 more than the Dell, very low pixel pitch for the size.
    Asus VK246H

The BenQ 24" 1080p monitors are supposed to be excellent as well, although the newer ones seem a bit pricey, maybe its a stock issue. I have heard the support is brilliant too.

If youre going Dell you should be doing it for an IPS panel, that is really pricey for a TN panel, with not much going for it besides looks (strangely enough for Dell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I find Dell monitor's to be much better than Samsung's from my experiences, particularly for colour clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

excellent thanks, looking at them other monitors it does appear the dell is a bit pricy. thanks for the help, i'll go take a look at some in the flesh:)

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Its very hard to say really. If you have a laptop you can get the idea easily enough. The colours can kind of fade as you move around the screen if you know what i mean :p
    Im not that fussy at all about monitors in general, as long as there is no bad ghosting. But to me Dell are riding a reputation, you can get better for less.

It seems to me these days that most TN panels have a 170 horizontal viewing angle. I think your best bet with a monitor is to go and have a look at it in a shop see how it is, then buy online.

But others to consider.

On the cheaper end, very similar specs but slightly wider viewing angle:
    asus vh242h €179

What i am looking into at the moment well between this or an lg one.
    Samsung P2450H €220ish from pixm or hwvs

The samsung has very good specs, reviews ive seen have been very positive. Theres a 3 page thread on it on the avforums you may get more knowledgeable help there.

Another option if you would want something a little different and lots of connectivity. Im going to go for this myself i would say, well if you can turn the silly light off.
    LG w2363v €230ish

This fella here is supposed to be an excellent monitor, lots of people rave about this on certain american computer forums. But would be around €10 more than the Dell, very low pixel pitch for the size.
    Asus VK246H

The BenQ 24" 1080p monitors are supposed to be excellent as well, although the newer ones seem a bit pricey, maybe its a stock issue. I have heard the support is brilliant too.

If youre going Dell you should be doing it for an IPS panel, that is really pricey for a TN panel, with not much going for it besides looks (strangely enough for Dell).

• Advertisement

I have to admit that Dell actually is a sexy monitor. Im getting tempted myself :p:(

I was looking at it here http://www.overclock.net/monitors-displays/616164-new-24-monitor-came-mail-today.html

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

breadbin wrote: »
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=324819

i want to get a 24" or bigger to mainly use instead of a telly. the upgrading faqs don't really show many monitors so need advice here. i could go lower to a 22" cos the price is a bit high even though its still low enough;)

try this one
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-OK&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

i know harvy normans in naas have them for 299 and there is a sale on there this week so might be even cheaper

Advertisement