Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little QCA question

• 27-11-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey im just wondering if someone can help me. my QCA is 2.86 but im wondering in terms of class honours what would it be.

like i mean 1st class honour, 2nd class honour etc etc

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Its been a few years since I was there:eek:, but 2.8+ used to be 2.1 Honours.

1st class used to be 3.4+ as far as I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

As far as I'm aware;

>2.6 = 2.2
    >3.0 = 2.1
    >3.4 = 1.1

I'm pretty sure UL have a discretionary band of .1 though, so if you get say 2.5 for instance, they'll give you a 2.2 degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

cson wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware;

>2.6 = 2.2
    >3.0 = 2.1
    >3.4 = 1.1

I'm pretty sure UL have a discretionary band of .1 though, so if you get say 2.5 for instance, they'll give you a 2.2 degree.

actually that sounds familiar. I only remember the 3.4 bit :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

thanks a mill. just in middle of applying for thr PGDE and it was on the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

It also differs depending on what faculty in. I'm not sure how much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

cson wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware;

>2.6 = 2.2
    >3.0 = 2.1
    >3.4 = 1.1

The discretionary band in most faculties is 0.05 (fact)!!!!

They will not give you the chance to be upgraded if you are outside of this. Also you could be hauled up in front of the awards committee (its late I can't remember its actual name but I think thats it) to state the case for your upgrade!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Feck, yet another reason to get the finger out this week. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

2.7+ is a 2:1 in Business
    2.5 is a 2:2 and
    3.4 is a 1:1

I'm pretty sure of this as most of the accounting firms require a 2:1 and you need 2.7 to get all of your exemptions.

Edit:

Although 3.0 for a 2:1 also seems a familiar number. I had 2.58 and got a 2:2. Damn FYP!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

DJCR wrote: »
    The discretionary band in most faculties is 0.05 (fact)!!!!

This is completely incorrect. The discretionary you just gave (0.05) applies to Business alright but discretionary bands vary from faculty to faculty and the discretion awarded is up to the individual faculty. The University position according to SAA is as follows:

1.1 - 3.4 and above
    2.1 - 3.0 - 3.39
    2.2 - 2.6 - 2.99
    3rd - 2.0 - 2.59

The University levels in turn are subject to the discretionary bands of courses. For example, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences apply a discretionary band of 0.1. This means that a student with 0.1 below the university levels attains the degree e.g. a QCA of 3.3 makes a student eligible to attain a 1.1. The KBS applies a discretionary band of 0.05. This means that a student with 0.05 below the university levels attains the degree e.g. a QCA 3.45 will qualify a student to get a 2.1. Certain faculties apply criteria depending on QCA e.g. certain grades in modules will make a student eligible for the higher degree e.g. teaching courses. To get clarification on the discretionary band that applies to individual courses, students should contact their Head of Department/Faculty.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

This is completely incorrect. The discretionary you just gave (0.05) applies to Business alright

So it was 25% correct ... my bad... forgot that the other faculties made it easier to attain higher band levels..... who says business is easy :D:D:D:D

But serious question.... does it change from course to course within each faculty!!

As 99er said ... he got 2.58 and got a 2.2..... that would alow for the 0.05. I mean in the other facuties if someone got 2.4 would the student be sure that their grade would definately be upgraded...... assuming all is in order with other specifities???

Honest Question..... just asking because this topic came up with a friend of mine outside the forum and I told them not to be aiming for it... i.e. they couldn't be sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

As I said, each student should clarify it with the Head of Department or Course Director as to what their discretionary band is and how it is applied. Discretionary bands are being discussed throughout the University at present, so it's important for everyone to check their own position.

Advertisement