Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing system drained, can I light fire??

Options
  • 27-11-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I've been working on my central heating system and at the minute the whole system is still drained down. Can I light my fire (which has a back boiler) when it doesnt have a flow of water through it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Don't light a fire the back boiler could blow up, its got to have water flowing through it or if its no longer in use, you have to drill holes at the bottom to remove any water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No do not light a fire unless it is vented in some way to allow steam escape. Disconnecting both the pipes into the boiler would suffice.

Exploding back boilers do occur
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/107095.php

http://www.hse.gov.uk/services/localgovernment/boilers.htm

[Edit]
    Actually when I think of it the danger comes from people capping the boiler pipes after converting to another heating system. This effectively turns the boiler into a sealed vessel which will explode when overheated. Back boilers work on a "open"/"gravity fed" system which have an inate safety feature...the steam pressure should vent out through the empty expansion tank in to the attic.
    Personally I wouldn't like to risk it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

thanks for the replies....however.....I didnt want to wait any longer so I put the fire out, I could hear the boiling clearly. That was Friday night but I just wanted to update you.

That sounds scary though, it means that if I didnt open the valve to open circulation into the boiler on any other day when I use it, it could blow?! Houses dont come with instructions do they.

Advertisement