Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smellectrics....

Options
  • 27-11-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hey all, have a headscratcher for you guys. I think I know the answer already, but I was wondering whether I might find a different answer here.

Newish house (3 years) , but recently there's started to be a smell when the electric shower's running. It's, well, fishy is the wrong word, but it's the closest I can get to describing it.

Afraid of burning plastic, I had a look in the shower switchbox, and there's no sign in there of any burning or anything, and similarly in the shower housing aswell. I would rather not rip the plasterboard apart...

Any thoughts, folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have you a shower tray or into a bath

Is it a power shower or a pumped electric shower.

Whats does the head look like is it full of lime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Tray...
    Pumped Electric...
    It's not too bad, I descaled it a couple of weeks ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have you cleaned the trap. ie have you poped of the top and pulled all the gunk out. This usually smells like rotten eggs and confuses people into thinking that the brushes are going in the motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Check the pullcord switch.

Turn off the power at the board first!

Also check the terminals on the shower itself, just in case.

Do this asap, it smells to me like burning bakelite, or whatever they make pullcords out of these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Check the pullcord switch.

Turn off the power at the board first!

Also check the terminals on the shower itself, just in case.

Do this asap, it smells to me like burning bakelite, or whatever they make pullcords out of these days.

Yea, Bakelite smells like that - it could be the switch. Also do you have the light on at the same time as the shower. It can also be the light fitting.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Turns out it was one of the neutrals arcing in the switch, there's some slight scorching around the terminal and a tiny bit on the insulation. Switch duly replaced, no more smells/danger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Good stuff.

Advertisement