Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build New PC Problem

Options
  • 27-11-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am trying to build my new Pc. I previously built a couple of PC. But i am having a hard time with this one. The specs are

asRock G31M-S motherboard socket 775 with duo core cpu.

I have 4gb ram and on board graphic card.
    plug everything but the pc won't post at all when everything is powered up. tried different power supply with no luck.

This is my second board and cpu as i thought the first board or Cpu were at fault. but i think i am doing something wrong. Please throw in some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I am trying to build my new Pc. I previously built a couple of PC. But i am having a hard time with this one. The specs are

asRock G31M-S motherboard socket 775 with duo core cpu.

I have 4gb ram and on board graphic card.
    plug everything but the pc won't post at all when everything is powered up. tried different power supply with no luck.

This is my second board and cpu as i thought the first board or Cpu were at fault. but i think i am doing something wrong. Please throw in some advice.
    make sure you have both the 20/24 pin cable from the psu plugged into the mobo and the other 4/8 pin one( that 4/8 pin is very important and it wont post without it )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Make sure all cables are connected including the 4-pin ATX connector! Test the CPU and mobo with one stick of RAM and... that's it. Take it out of the case and use a jumper or any handy metal object to jump the mobo's power pins instead of the case switch (those can get borked and cause all kinds of odd symptoms!) to rule out everything. Use the second RAM stick if it still doesn't work. If its still not working test the mobo with a compatible CPU (and/or vice-versa) to rule it out and a PSU tester thingy (or hook it up to another system) to check the PSU.

If it does work then put it back in the case and test again, hook up the case frontpanel header and test with the case switch, and add components one-by-one until you find the cause of your woes.

^^good idea on the PSU check, i normally use the pin trick:
    http://aphnetworks.com/lounge/turn_on_psu_without_motherboard_the_paperclip_trick

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Offer_asking

Thank you for the advice, truely that was a quick reply, thanks, however I could not get the following point;

use a jumper or any handy metal object to jump the mobo's power pins instead of the case switch.

Thank you for the advice, truely that was a quick reply, thanks, however I could not get the following point;

use a jumper or any handy metal object to jump the mobo's power pins instead of the case switch.
    you can assemble everything on a table rather than putting it in the case and just use a screwdriver to connect the 2 power pins on the mobo( the ones that connect to the case normally ), this acts as power on/off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Taken from the manual:

G31S.png

See the two highlighted pins in the lower diagram? Put something metal (eg. screwdriver tip) between them to toggle the PC (or in this case its naked guts) on and off.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Taken from the manual:

G31S.png

See the two highlighted pins in the lower diagram? Put something metal (eg. screwdriver tip) between them to toggle the PC (or in this case its naked guts) on and off.

ok i did that, the pc is powered up but still won't post. I have two sticks of Ram i tried one at a time still no luck. i took out everything from the mobo inc Ram still no luck won't even give the continues beep for the Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

prob a bit obvious but is the graphics card connected correctly, try removing it and using the onboard video on mo/bo to see if it will post

sorry didnt read first post right, you are using on board graphics.

Ok an update. went and got new power supply just to counter check. still same problem. I don't have an extra mobo or cpu to test them. is there another way i could test them?

Advertisement